1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Member since 2005, whats with all the new rules?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by web-rocket, Jul 24, 2013.

Established members? I think I am established I have been a member since 2005 and have contributed to this site. Why after 8 years do I have to get 3 likes on a post, I feel as though I am being punished, and to get back in the club I have to do something special. I figured me contributing here an self promoting this site for 8 years was good enough.

web-rocket, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    These threads might help answer you questions:

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...-do-i-need-to-establish-myself-again.2637419/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...regular-member-and-i-have-a-question.2633565/
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...9-demoted-and-unable-to-start-threads.2666942

browntwn, Jul 24, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  3. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not paying to be apart of this site when I have been here for over 8 years, I have contributed and I have promoted this site. I think what is going on is simply wrong and to treat members who have been here as long as I have with the pay or get likes rule is going to push people like me elsewhere.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    All your old reputation was imported as likes. So all users who actually contributed were established on day 1.

digitalpoint, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  5. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn I love the DP site and I always have but I feel as though this is a push for paying members. I understand, I really do... I run a farm of web servers and sites. I understand costs etc, however I have been here on this site for a long long time. I have posted, I have promoted to friends family etc. I have CONTRIBUTED and I have the time here to prove it as an Established member. The rule of getting 3 likes is goofy when I am not a daily poster. I contribute by promotion, could be from a site I am selling or service etc. I inform people of the listing on DP and that drives traffic and new members to your site.

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well the fact that you just now realized the change in how an established member is defined kind of shows you aren't a daily poster (the change was implemented in January).

As far as it being about money, if that were the case, the bar would be a whole lot higher than 3 likes... Would be more like 500. 3 likes are absurdly easy for anyone who actually contributes anything useful to get. It's a tiny barrier of entry that is just enough effort that spammers aren't going to bother. In fact, we don't want you to get premium membership if the only benefit to you is to get premature access to B/S/T.

To be honest, it's pretty big feat in itself to be a member for 8 years and never got a single positive rep/like. I feel like some sort of award should be given because not even sure how that's possible. :)

ryan_uk, Devtard, GMF and 1 other person like this.
  7. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:

So if this is your attempt at blocking spammers I would assume it's safe to say by looking at my history I am not a spammer. Why not fix my account? Also I did say I was not a daily poster and never claimed to be. I contribute in other ways by promotion... as I have explained already.

8. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry too much about getting likes. To be honest, we already seen many threads just like this. They don't really care about the 'likes' rules and just blend with the community and be 'useful' again.
    So, I suggest you to think about it. Just read few links given by Browntwn above and try to understand what Shawn said earlier.

I have seen many old members coming back to the site and get three likes just in the first day. They got the likes because they decide to be a part of the community once again and thus make many established members respect them.

My advice is, no need to think about the 'likes' system. You'll get more than three if you decide to be helpful to others. There are thousands of established members in this forum ready to give you likes if they found you being helpful personality once again.
    If you were coming back to use Buy, Sell or Trade (aka MarketPlace), you have plan 'B'. Premium Membership is designed for successful entrepreneur whom thinking MarketPlace as the best area to enlarge their business. Being Premium Member will give you more advantages. Read all about it HERE.

Edit: Actually, Old members have huge advantages than new member. They tend to receive more like when they decide to help the others. Don't count on me about this as it is just my self-opinion.

By the way, Welcome Back to community. Hope you like it and think of it as new start for better contribution.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Arick unirow, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  9. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:
    I give up, I feel like I am talking to a wall. I was never on this site to chit chat with all the members. I was here to contribute in a different way. I was here to buy and sell sites, in this process I have been promoting DP by letting others know of the listing in return this drove traffic to DP. Thats contributing... Traffic = more members, More members = more ad revenue for DP and so on and so on. If your really using the spam as an excuse to get the 3 likes I think I have already proven I am not a spammer.

10. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, we would not angry even if you think us just like a 'wall'. :)
    Actually, listing in BST didn't generate much traffic in DP. It is not you or any other members to determine about the traffic. It is up to Google and other search Engine to choose which sites got more attention and trust.

There are so many MarketPlace in another forum. Hope you find them useful. DP has great MarketPlace because not all people able to get it. This is what make so many great buyer come to DP. Current system seems effective to block low-stuff from appearing in the marketplace. This make so many buyer trust this place.
    So, I wish you calm and think once more again. I write this because I really respect all member and wish you to be back to community once again. However, it is up to you to make your choice.

11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    B/S/T was never intended for anyone other than a benefit for good/contributing users. The only thing that changed is we have a better way of measuring that. In fact, it's easier to use B/S/T now... before it didn't matter how good of a user you were, you had to wait 2 weeks to use it.

If you have no use for this site other than to sell websites, you honestly would probably be better off over here: https://flippa.com/ that's what they do... it's not just a benefit for their "good" users.

12. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:

Please forgive me if I sound a bit rude, you simply don't have your facts straight. Posts to the forums be it in the community or in the Market Place generate traffic, If I make a post in the Market place it is picked up by Google. That creates traffic from the listing in Google and from the word of mouth or promotion of the listing on other sites and back-links. My listing does not have to generate a ton of traffic, it does however generate new members, they in turn generate new members. Members generate traffic, ad revenue etc. The more that is posted on a forum the more Google eats it up, the better the rank etc.

13. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    No, you didn't rude. I clearly understand your situation. :)
    It was just a joke to calm the situation. :)
    About the traffic, Well, I think there is nothing I could say as I'm not expert in this field. You were probably right about it but I'm sure you wouldn't use 'your contribution' in the past to ask for 3 likes aren't you?

What Shawn said above is correct. Old system would make good member wait for 2 weeks before they able to post in BST. I'm glad the rule was changed.
    About getting likes, it is not that hard. You may looks at my stats in the left tab. I got few likes because another members kindly enough award me with likes.
    You are free to open my profile and browse my posts. You'll see it is so easy to get 'likes'. In the end, you'll say "likes wouldn't stop good member like me from accessing BST once more again". Beside, Shawn already told us if BST basically is a gift for good members.

Hope you find my post useful. Don't be serious all the times. I hope we could laugh together in this forum. :D

14. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:

Thanks Shawn, I hate SitePoint and they own Flippa. They did the same thing your doing, they use to allow people to post sites for sell or buy on the forums. Then they got greedy and decided hey, lets take advantage of all this traffic and sell listings. No biggy I was down with a little payment to post a site and promote it, then they created Flippa and now they charge an outrageous price to list a site. I do enjoy reading what the community posts here, I am not much of a talker though. So it's not that I don't like whats posted or that I dont read the comments and topics. I just keep to myself. The bottom line is Shawn, it's all about money, I owned and ran unitethecows.com a PR7 site/forum for a long time, I made money from the ad's, More members = more posts, More posts = more Google indexing, More indexing = more traffic and more money. I respect what you do here, I do like the site I hope you guys don't end up like SitePoint.

15. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I have created so many posts in DigitalPoint. Surely one or more of them will generate many traffic for DP. Maybe I should ask payment from Shawn.
    I'm kidding btw. :D

I enjoy writing post in DP. This forum may got traffic from our activity but we do get benefit from it, am I right? Maybe this is what make another forum change into 'what you already said earlier'.

Btw, you have good site. I'm glad to meet you in this forum.

16. web-rocket

web-rocket Active Member

Best Answers:

Well I sold that site long long ago, It's now been merged with PCTT. I am not into buying and selling sites like I use to. I still have a large portfolio of sites but they just don't generate the money they use to. I now own an IT company and it has really been successful. Now I just dabble in web development and hosting.

17. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    No matter you own it or not at this time, I would still respect you because I believe you deserve it. Developing site is not easy. I'm not good in web related stuff and IT but I believe this kind of stuffs will give you so many likes. There are lots of questions about them in this forum. Try to help another members by sharing your experiences.
    Please understand the new system was designed not to annoy old member. Think of it as 'test'.
    I'm a teacher and clearly understand if not all people especially student love with a 'test'. However, we would get so many benefits after passing it, am I right?

I clearly see you wouldn't get problem in getting likes. You just need to blend with communities. By doing that, you'll not only get many interesting information but also the possibility gaining more sales. Buyer were smart enough to only doing business with member whom have good reputation.

18. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    By the way, I would suggest you to close this thread if all of your questions already answered. There is another feature in DP named as 'Best Answer'. It is a button/link visible only for you. If you decide to close the thread, you may choose the best Answer.
    By doing this, you will help many user whom have the same question.
    You are free to choose the best answer for your 'question'. I would suggest you mark 'Browntwn' post above as best answer because he give the best link for any returning member. Shawn's posts actually are helpful. You may label one of them as 'best answer' too.

I wish to see you in another threads.

Arick.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's all about opportunity cost when it comes down to it. The traffic B/S/T generates isn't traffic we want. It tends to be very poor traffic that requires much more resources to moderate/keep clean/keep out spammers/scammers, etc.

The barrier of entry is tiny, but yes... it *is* an intentional barrier of entry. I'd just close down B/S/T before opening it up to everyone. It's not worth the effort to keep running otherwise.

ryan_uk likes this.
  20. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

The rules here are Shawn's to make so I wont even comment on them, but I can tell you if you read the posts here, make a handful of comments (especially the ones you probably now keep to yourself) I am sure you'd end up with the 3 likes in no time. Seriously, I see total morons getting them for lame ass posts. Toss out a couple of snarky comments, help someone, make a joke. Someone will enjoy it and give you a like.

browntwn, Jul 24, 2013 IP