1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changed domain lost half my visitors

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KarenBrown, Jul 21, 2013.

I have a blog on blogger.
    I changed from .blogspot.com to .com
    my old blogspot.comain redirects to the .com
    Nevertheless i don't appear on google searches where i was ranked 1st.
    Now i don't exist.

I went from 10k daily visitors to 5k.

I wanna kill myself.
    If i knew getting a .com would kill my site i would have never bought it.

What can i do?

KarenBrown, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try taking off the redirect and running the sites together with a seperate site on your dot com, that would be my first thoughts on a course of action at first glance with that limted info to go on.

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  3. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't, the way blogger is made, when you add a custom domain, the blogger domain redirects to it, can't change that.
    I thought i would keep my place on the search results and it will update my url, but no i'm just gone.
    Maybe if i give it some time i'll be back? i changed domain last Wednesday but didn't disappear until today.

4. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    hmm well I have never used blogger (knew not to through reading) but should have realised that might be the case, erm not quite sure what your next move is then tbh so we will be as interested in what anyone suggests, seeing you can't reverse what has been done, it makes it a bit difficult.

sounds like a bonkers set up to me, so glad I have never used blogger!

Maybe it will settle and you will get some results back as you said, but in the mean time just plug away and get some good targeted content in place is your best bet.

5. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of my main concerns is that i used to post something and i could search the title of my post on google and it will find it with a "posted 5 seconds ago" message.
    Now i post something, search it, nothing. it doesn't exit.

I'll give it 7-10 days if i don't get the same features i had with a .blogspot then there's no reason to have any other domain. As google is giving huge priority to blogspot subdomains.

6. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I am not sure how blogger works other than it is a free blog Google own tbh - don't they display ads on your site? What we're you using it for if you don't mind me asking?

One of my clients has a blogger blog and I linked it to his proper sites a couple of times (though he never uses it these days) as that was what he wanted, but have never looked any closer at such things as knew years ago they (blogger and other free blogs) didn't fit with my things.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  7. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    A gaming blog, no they don't display ads but you can display yours and use adfly, unlike wordpress.com

KarenBrown, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well dont do that!

Redirects dont pass on seo in full. If it is same site to same site, such as a page moving to a different folder, then for seo reasons the new page is treated the same as the old one and keeps its position in the SE. However, as you essientially have a new site, you will need to do some more SEO work to get the new site to rank well i the SE. The old site will give you some seo juice... But not the 100% that you were expecting.

I cant google it for you, but matt cutts has a youtube vid explaining 301 redirects and the effect on seo.

matt_62, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  9. Devprakash

Devprakash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you lost all of your direct visitors. Do one thing immediately - Redirect your old domain to new one.

Devprakash, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  10. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

That is exactly why I tell people not to mess with their free blogging type stuff and to run their new hosted domains things alongside and seperate, to get things established b4 thinking about redirects that everyone is so fond of rushing into.

Also another reason why Google sucks LOL :p

I wouldn't use WordPress.com tbh as prefer my own things with proper hosting and WordPress.org things rather than the .com set up, though do get the appeal it holds for others to.

Seems unless anything gets regained you are going to have to chalk it up to a bad experience and lesson learned the hard way.

If blogger offers such quick results though could you not use it once again with a slightly different URL to gain some quick results and use those pages to funnel things with link placements to your new dot com?

It might provide a quicker way to help get your new thing going seeing as it is looking like G is giving precedence to the things where they have their authority over things.

Still at least you still have 5k to build back up again, I have seen worse scenarios so all is not lost as they say...

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  11. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, now my posts appear on google, not as fast as before (like 40 minutes after creation) instead of 2 seconds. And i'm ranked pretty bad sometimes 2nd page. (when i was top 3 result) .
    But at least i exist!!!

Now it's a matter to keep working to gain my place like i did before. This time with the .com
    After the day of 5000 views i had a 6k one and then a 8k one.
    I'm slowly going back to normal, but it was a bad experience i have yet to see if the .com gives any benefit to my site, so far only problems..oh well i wouldn't know until i tried like i was told on my other thread.

Any tips to get to the top results faster?

KarenBrown, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  12. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    @ncode25: If you still not verify your website in Google webmaster then do it first.

I don't think that this will help you on instance search ranking but you will manage your website batter than ever.

Do you verify your authorship for your blog? If not then do it asap because that will help for batter search indexing (This is my personal Experience).

I'm still here if you need any assistance on how to verify your authorship for your blog.

Roger Pelt, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  13. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    on google webmaster tools i have my blog (.blogspot) which i can't delete.
    I don't add the .com to not generate duplicates, since it's the same site with a 301 redirect.

About authorship:
    I go here:
    https://plus.google.com/authorship

I put my email and it says:
    "That email and domain has already been verified for authorship. View your profile"

So i guess i'm setted with that but i don't see my avatar on any of my posts.
    Maybe because i don't use my face as an avatar? i use the same avatar you see on this forums.

KarenBrown, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  14. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It have nothing to do with changing domain so don't kill your self, take it or leave it, blogger redirect 301 to the new domain, it's eathier your new domain name is crap so going from good-example.blogspot.com into something-new.com will affect you, because keyword on the domain is important, or you was affected by Google new penguine or whatever, for me it was no difference since I used same name on the domain.
    from good-example.blogspot.com into good-example.com

wissam, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  15. iamalive

iamalive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This kind of problem usually happen when we changed the domain but you should keep working on it. You did the some off page link building and keep update your blog within few weeks your traffic with me increase.

iamalive, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  16. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Follow steps to delete your blogspot domain in webmaster

Login in webmaster tool (authorized id)
    Click on manage site which is appear at your right side
    Click on Delete website

Now click on Add a site button which is appear on top of the right side. Here your need to insert your .com domain. After adding your site you need to verify your website from possible way which will given by Google.

Follow this link for proper guide on how to enable author image in your search ranking.

http://www.razorsocial.com/how-to-set-up-googl-author-rich-snippets-to-increase-web-traffic/

Here is the link to learn about author snippets: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1408986?hl=en

Roger Pelt, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  17. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:

Ok, i did all you said.
    I deleted the .blogspot from webmaster tools.
    I added the .com and claimed it.
    The image not working was most likely due to not using my real face as google plus avatar. (i now changed that pic, but it can take awhile till google finds out) Since the author-rel tag is automatically placed under every post with my google plus name and it links to my g+ profile, this is automatically done by blogger platform.

I submitted sitemap yesterday and they still haven't looked at it:
    [​IMG]

Despite what it says there, my pages are indexed (i find them on google).
    I find a lot of .blogspot that google refuses to change to .com

But my major concern, i lost a lot of ground on search results, i was top results of my keywords, now i'm on page 2-5 and this is causing my site great damage.

KarenBrown, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  18. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    i submit my last message refresh webmaster tools and...

[​IMG]

But still my last concern:
    i lost a lot of ground on search results i was top results of my keywords now i'm on page 2-5 and this is causing my site great damage.

Is there a way to rank like i used to do with the old domain, shouldn't google realize is the same freaking site with a 301 redirect?

19. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is this bad robots?

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google
    Disallow:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /search
    Allow: /

20. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    update your robots.txt file with following code

@ncode25: i understand your feeling because you lost your ranking but keep Patience. I'm sure you will back in few week.

Continue updating your blog with latest trending post. Hope for the best!!!!

Roger Pelt, Jul 24, 2013 IP