1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Terms and Conditions + Privacy policy

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by jimmyt200388, Jul 21, 2013.

I do not have much of a budget to do this so want to do it myself. I have started by finding similar sites and copying parts of their TOS. Is this legal? Can you get into trouble for copying parts of peoples TOS?

jimmyt200388, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  2. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean you are copying TOS. If yes TOS are similar in companies, you can change the language of your TOS. I don't think you have a problem.

humtuma, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  3. jimmyt200388

jimmyt200388 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes just copying parts and changing the company name

jimmyt200388, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Please dont copy and paste from other peoples sites. They might have spent hundreds on having that created, and its not right to steal it. I do look at other peoples and compare to my own to make sure that I have something reasonable, as well as to make sure that I have covered the similar points, but never copy / paste.

You can use google to find TOS or privacy policy generator, such as:
    http://www.bennadel.com/coldfusion/privacy-policy-generator.htm

matt_62, Jul 21, 2013 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is an even better reason not to just copy. The whole point of putting a Terms and Conditions page is to protect you and set the terms that apply to usage of your website. When you just copy and paste you may be causing yourself more harm than good. The terms used on any particular website change depending on many factors. These include but are obviously not limited to: Where the owner of the website resides, what type of entity owns the website, who the prospective users of the website are, what the laws are in play based on the type and usage of the website, what potential liabilities you are trying to limit. There are rules that apply in California that might not apply in other states. When you just copy and paste you might think, "well this was good enough for site XYZ, so it is good enough for me" but perhaps XYZ is trying to limit a certain kind of liability or is taking advantage of some unique law in a the state where they live which does not apply where you live.

It is actually quite foolish to just copy someone's terms and conditions without understanding why a particular provision is there and what its effect is.

browntwn, Jul 21, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Brown,

I love how most people think...

Well, i dont know what most of that crap means, but
    it looks about right; i think ill just copy his.....

dscurlock, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  7. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you own a New York classified site and you found another New York based classified site and you read and understand the terms and they fit with what you are looking to do with your site then I don't see what is wrong with using that as a basis and either adding some things or taking away some things...
    That is just my .02.

superrichguy, Jul 22, 2013 IP