1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drawbacks of allowing guest posts on my site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TPvinod, Jul 20, 2013.

Hi all, I have a tech blog. I advertised my site in sites like myblogguest and am getting several requests for guest posting on my site. I'm accepting only 100% original guest posts that fit into any of the categories on my site. ( I also provide them the title to write on ). But there are lots of requests coming on a daily basis.

My site already has 100 articles posted over a 3 year span. I'm planning to post more articles on a daily basis with guest posts from others.

Is it good for my site to post ONLY those (guest posted) articles and give links to other blogs from my site? Also can I post multiple articles (all guest posts) on a daily basis? If I do this, then I will end up having even 100 articles per month on my blog, linking to 100 different sites, all through the author bio line at the bottom.

What are the DOs and DONTs here? I need advice/help ONLY from experts pls..

TPvinod, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  2. upsurge

upsurge Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing wrong is offering guest posts on your blog, it increases your back links a lot. Ensure that the links which you are offering on your blog should be legitimate.
    Also you will have build links for your blogs as well.

By the link juice will be maintained evenly.

upsurge, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  3. adenquiry

adenquiry Member

Best Answers:
    Write your own articles as well. Keep it like 3:1 ratio i.e. 3 articles of your own and 1 guest post. Also scan all the articles for quality. And do not link to sites that are related to your blog's theme.

adenquiry, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  4. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the blog posts are not quality posts!

So it takes time to short out quality blog posts from spam posts..

SERPpoint, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  5. acevatuew

acevatuew Banned

Best Answers:
    Build backlinks to your homepage while posting links to other sites

acevatuew, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  6. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not posting links to other sites for now. But i'm just accepting articles and providing link TO other sites. do you mean to say i should do the reverse as well? if so, what's the best way to do it?

Yes i read through the articles myself and keep an eye on quality..

TPvinod, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  7. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:

You said "it increases your back links a lot".
    I'm not doing link exchange but i'm just accepting others' posts and giving a link back to them. How does it help me in getting back links?

TPvinod, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  8. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:

I'm confused actually. Did you mean to say DO LINK or DO NOT LINK to sites related to blog's theme? everyone prefers articles in the same niche right? thats what i do as well!!!

TPvinod, Jul 20, 2013 IP
  9. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    rankwatch.com, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  10. Articles Arthors

Articles Arthors Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say the biggest problem with guest posting (and it is a big problem) is that the vast majority of them are garbage and it takes a while to sift through them to find quality ones!

Articles Arthors, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  11. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alow them as long as you approve before they go live and as long as they include a link back to your site...

superrichguy, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  12. Corestratagems

Corestratagems Active Member

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't hold back on linking out to relevant material from your blog. Linking out to authority sites that are relevant to the posts is a good thing for your readers and in Googles eyes. Disregard the advice above not to link out to others in the same niche. What is more beneficial for your readers? Providing links to valuable relevant resources in your niche or links to some totally unrelated resource in a non relevant niche? Also, as was already stated, most guest posts are garbage and they are only doing it to get a Backlink from you. If they provide useful information for your audience it's a win for both sides. End of story.

Corestratagems, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  13. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:

Yes, I'm reading through every post and making sure it helps my readers. I'm doing this for all post. But just wanted to know if I can accept 3-4 of this kind on a daily basis and if it will cause any harm to my site in accepting many 'quality' guest blogs since i'm giving links TO 'several' other sites.

TPvinod, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  14. Corestratagems

Corestratagems Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it won't necessarily hurt your site. Think about news sites that have many contributors. They post at least 3 to 4 posts per day from multiple authors. I have to imagine your niche is very broad based to be able to get so many guest posters.

Corestratagems, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  15. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i have a tech blog where i let people write about latest, new technology, gadgets, reviews and more stuff.

TPvinod, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  16. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    I think there are absolutely not drawbacks to having guest posts on a site.
    But one should make sure the post is original (scan it with plagiarisma or copyscape), and perhaps use a piece of site optimization software to check the parameters of the author's site (its pagerank, link authority, etc.). Because you wouldn't want to link out to crappy or irrelevant sites.

Kianu42, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  17. Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Kianu42, I don't see any drawbacks to allowing 100% unique content from guest bloggers to be posted on your site. I allow guest posting on my Tech blog as well. I receive approximately 2 inquires a day. It has to be good content, but it doesn't have to be great content, mainly because it's free and it will allow you to keep updating your site.

However, I always read through each guest post prior to it being published, check it for uniqueness, and quality. If it is 100% unique I will post it. But I pick and choose which posts I actually "market" through my social channels. For example one post that was provided to us was pretty vague, but was unique, so I allowed it to be published, but I did not promote the post using my social media schedule or other promoting techniques.

But when a post is unique and great content I have no problem posting to the blog's Facebook, Google+ and Twitter accounts, I have even used SeNuke to promote some guest posts too.

Scott Hughes, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  18. chapziiid

chapziiid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends what your goal is.

If you want to build a community of people who subscribe, trust and buy from you then you should be limiting the amount of guest posts you publish to only the top quality ones.

But if you are just looking to build some depth of content to monetise the site through advertising, adsense etc or even looking to flip it into a community in the future then by all means, take as many decent articles as possible.

chapziiid, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  19. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Publishing guest posts can be fine, but you need to take care, basically use common sense. Check not just the whole post but parts of the post to see if they are duplicated elsewhere (someone might just take paragraphs for similar articles, for example). Check out their Google+ profile (and/or other social media profiles) to see what type of stuff they are posting there. Check the site(s) the post is linking to carefully - does the site have spammy content? Are their backlinks of very low quality? You don't want to be linking to low quality sites (either in terms of content or their backlinks). Have they published other guest posts elsewhere? If so, check the backlinks to the guest post as you don't want someone posting a guest blog who is then going to spam links to it (blog comments, web 2.0s, profile links or whatever).

I suggest your read through this article:

http://moz.com/blog/how-guest-bloggers-are-sleepwalking-their-way-into-penalties

Take on board the points it makes so that you can ensure your site isn't going to be viewed as just yet another article site (it covers things such as using authorship, where to locate links, etc). Sadly, this is what guest posting has become for a lot of people and this has devalued it.

ryan_uk, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  20. chapziiid

chapziiid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

chapziiid, Jul 23, 2013 IP