1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will it fly or should I consider keeping my day job?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by danmaster2012, Jul 18, 2013.

Good day digitalpointers
    I've had my website since 2008. It has undergone many a face lift since then, including SEO optimizations. It is a website about the Brazilian Portuguese language - complete with a blog. I try to keep it updated as frequently as is possible. The objective of my site is: to provide a free resource to people wishing to learn the language. But I also starting getting into teaching as well. I recently began creating video lessons (which I set the page permissions so that those wishing to view the videos must register first). But the video lessons are free. I, ultimately, would like to do the following: establish an email list that I can then use for my affiliate campaigns. would this be the correct way of going about collecting a mailing list no? or what other ways can I also create a list - without spaming? btw... would this be consdered spam if I sent bulk emails to my members regularly? To be more precise, I would like to know if this is a fair trade off without spamming? an email for free lessons?

danmaster2012, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  2. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    keep that job, just in case!

drewtoby, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  3. danmaster2012

danmaster2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, just like that? your not even going to say why it is or how to make improvements? what kind of review you call this?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    danmaster2012, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  4. NameNetwork

NameNetwork Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a huge market but also has lots of competition to be carefully considered, how is your service different / better ?

If you are offering something unique that people will be willing to pay for then my friend you have a business :) If not, yes you'll get traffic, but making your whole living off advertising revenue will be tough.

You've obviously got history and experience and expertise in the area, everyone should pursue what they love to do (that way it's never work) and only you can really tell us if the project can be made to stand out in the marketplace and grow.

NameNetwork, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  5. iammichael

iammichael Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure every email you send out has an unsubscribe link, otherwise it's spam. You can try the email campaign, but I wouldn't quit your day job. That's not being harsh, that's begin realistic. Until you have a steady cash flow form your website (and even then), no money is guaranteed.

iammichael, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  6. danmaster2012

danmaster2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks there for that message iammichael. That's what I was concerned about. You ever worked with Mailman mailing list software? I got it from my hosting company, but kind of unsure how to use it.

danmaster2012, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  7. iammichael

iammichael Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used that software. As long as visitors understand what they're signing up for, you should be OK to send out emails. If you require an email to watch videos, then send messages about another product you offer, that's going to be borderline spam, no matter what way you do it.

iammichael, Jul 20, 2013 IP