1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google sucks

Discussion in 'Google' started by Revelations-Decoder, Jul 12, 2013.

1. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I know, don't worry haha

I can only give you an answer based on how I would imagine people in other areas of business would feel, nothing they have done to this point has affected me too much.

I checked out the car insurance thing you mentioned and obviously that's going to hit the comparison sites but I've seen a lot of this kind of thing recently, if you search a movie you'll get the info right on the results page, a dog breed again you'll see everything you need without entering a website and so on, noticed it a lot recently.

So to answer your question...

Google sucks because it was designed to help you find a site to give you the information needed but is now doing everything it can to give you said information within Google itself, it's turning into more of an Encyclopedia than a search engine and pulling revenue from the very sites that without it wouldn't exist at all.

:cool:

GregWR, Jul 12, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Jill Whalen's Google sucks post here alludes to that sort of thing Greg where she makes mention of "made-for-AdSense content pages or somewhat sketchy companies who are great at article spinning and comment spamming" which is something I have discovered in the SEO world RE ranked sites on Goolge.co.uk recently taking advanatge also of the new "social" thing to, where lot's of clearly and obviously spammed or paid FB likes and links and testimonials are helping sites rank but that only the trained eye would see how it has all being staged.

Darn that copy and paste stuffing up the text!

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  3. robomax

robomax Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google Sucks Because "They Ban Without any Notice" :oops:

robomax, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  4. liamwli

liamwli Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Please enlighten me on this. (I don't use the word enlighten often, I can only link it in with Ingress).

Maybe because I'm so young, I don't notice/care about the things they do that people may not agree with?

liamwli, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  5. liamwli

Best Answers:

Yeah, that really annoys me. Although other sites do as well, and they annoy me as well.

liamwli, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see the US bias. When topics are geo-sensitive, I am getting the right local results. When it's a generic term, I'm getting the right global results. Works as expected. If I wanted a UK slant on results I would use "site:co.uk". :)

You are really not providing a credible example of US-bias. Instead wanting to palm it off to another site. Shaun Anderson wrote about this back in 2010. Well, as we all know, Google's results have changed significantly since then. And it was one post without credible evidence of search bias. I'm more of a real data person. If I can't find a case study, then I'll do it myself. I can't base my assessment of Google's search results and "sucking" on one person's blog post, but rather my own experience (of not sucking any more, but did many years ago).

As for my hatred of all things SEO, no idea where you got that from. I like SEO, I don't like spam. There is a galactic difference between the two (that is lost on most people).

ryan_uk, Jul 12, 2013 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  7. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Well I may not be the best person to ask nor answer that hence why I asked "But how else do you think Google sucks?" as it is always interesting to see others perspectives. Well other than ryan-uk's as he is now on my ignore list for various reasons.

However there are of course many reasons why Google is not always so "sweetness and light" and as nice as they are portrayed.

People lose jobs, people lose homes, people lose their livelihoods and such like and not always because they have done anything wrong, but this gets forgotten and brushed under the carpet, and that's just a few examples of what effect the darker side of the Google monster has.

Now don't get me wrong there is also a flip side where many more earn good livings from Google to.

However I have seen and hear of businesses ruined by Google as they have become reliant on being found on the internet, but lost everything due to the silliest or simplest of reasons. Some would say it is the eggs in one basket thing and such should not have come to rely on Google, but that is where the catch is!

Yet as always there is the flip side where others have been made rich by Google.

Google quite literally sucks money out of economies of countries to, as well as businesses and they stack things in their favour against all competition in many areas. It/Google is a corporate monster but people only see what they/Google want them to see as they/Google are the grandmasters of rep management.

Now me I treat it all as a big old joke in many ways as have no reliance on Google so have nothing to gain nor lose from any of it.

But it is always interesting to see others perspectives and find out why they think Google sucks to is it not?

Google is the main thing (along with the other SE's) that has replaced traditional ways to find other buisnesses, like the phone book for example.

Yet we don't actually need Google if you think about it in real terms as we still have the phone book (and there another argument exists...)...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  8. liamwli

Best Answers:

The bottom line: I don't think Google sucks.

Yes, it may have its downsides, and people may lose money to them, but no one should rely on another company for their entire business. That's just asking for trouble.

People seem to forget what Google originated as - a search engine. And its relatively decent one from an end users point of view. I dont have much to say from a webmaster view, except that my sites rarely make it to the second page unless you search the URL keyword :p

However, that is probably due to the lack of popularity more than anything. I personally have never been affected by Google in a negative way, and as such think its fine :)

Liam

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    liamwli, Jul 12, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  9. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

That's good for you Liam you will remain perhaps. let's hope so eh. I myself have no views either way and think it is hilarious nobody got the humour which has turned into somehting laughingly taken more seriously...

so much so people actually fall into taking sides on it. it beggars belief it realy does

but still interestig to see why others think Google sucks and answer on topic rather than hijacking as others are want to do...

10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Sorry to hear that. I enjoy his posts.

Jim4767, Jul 12, 2013 IP
    tattoos and Patricianian like this.
  11. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Don't be sorry Jim. If you enjoy reading his stuff that's good for you young Sir. His advice will serve you well (that's sarcasm btw).

Myself I am fed up with reading his bad advice, arrogance and rudeness (disguised as politeness and well worded mind) and being jumped on with his confrontational attitude at every turn. The guy is like a teenager who wants to argue at every turn, and I get that enough from a 15 year old .

I really have better ways to spend my time than spend my time arguing about any silly points he might like to draw out and attack, as he often does with myself and many others I have spoken to privately who feel the same.

But he likes to try and prove his point (like the case on geo domains he had with me a while back) and then resorts to rudeness to try and make himself look smart and acts like a baby throwing his toys out of of pram if he is slightly proved wrong.

Regularly slagging off anything SEO, but then when that is pointed out spouts off about spam as though he has never said a bad word about SEO and that somehow spam equates to SEO, which in his mind it seems to as he immediately relates about spam(??) when his stance on SEO is mentioned. He has an agenda that is clear. Perhaps secretly he is an SEO LOL...

His blinkered way of looking at things and ignorance of others perspectives never ceases to amaze me. They say things happen for a reason though and as I have plenty to do I am sort of glad he has taken to attacking me at every turn (thinly veiled as politely) with his put downs as it means I know I am wasting my time here on DP and so on that note a lurker only from hence forth shall I try to be from time to time, so I can watch the nonsense (and just shake my head instead of being tempted to reply and just feel sorry for those who follow his advice) and refrain from getting caught up arguing about rubbish when it is better to not get involved in such childishness...

Now if anyone would like to remain on topic, instead of arguing for their own agendas, it is still interesting to see what peeps think about "Google sucks" even though I meant that as a joke and what's the word oh yes a link bait title.

Slam away (click).

I have some Stevie Nicks & Patti Smith to listen to and a better frame of mind to try and be in...

12. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google adwords didn't accept my website due to TOS. But they accept my competitor website because there budget is more than 50k/month.

humtuma, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are lots of alternatives to Google. One thing I refuse to do is help them serve ads any more than needed, and for that reason I use Ad Block Plus when surfing, and Duck Duck Go when searching. I still use Gmail but there are no longer ads in my Gmail thanks to Ad Block Plus.

dvduval, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  14. lassie911

lassie911 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Screwgle sucks because: Gmail is becoming more and more spamy as far as google "features", adsense ads suck because they mainly deliver competitors ads (you have a arcade site so they show arcade ads, brilliant idea!:rolleyes: ), the ads just plain suck for certain content, the reliance that webmasters place on them sucks, the follow non follow bs had webmasters jumping through hoops as they single handedly tried to reinvent the wheel, Google is spying on us and they had the nerve to add a petition to their home page about the nsa. The search uses prior searches for results which means a never ending circle of content. Instead of the best results you get the most likely results based on what they think you want to see.

From what I see Google controls hundreds of thousands of webmasters and their sites and thus the internet. Think about it, the webmasters are dependent on Google for adsense so you may as well say they work for screwgle. Whatever Google tells them to implement they'll do it! Why? Because Google is their boss who pays them in adsense checks. Which you can't even get via paypal if I'm not mistaken.

lassie911, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  15. SeoBoom

SeoBoom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the only thing I don't like about google is that they are constantly shooting down their services. Even if there aren't billions using them, they are however popular and damn useful (Google Reader for instance). You just get used to one, and then it is simply closed.

SeoBoom, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  16. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:

Google keeps changing according to demand of society...

SERPpoint, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  17. SeoBoom

SeoBoom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So you want to say that society wanted the Google reader closed? I have my doubts :)

SeoBoom, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  18. Brontos

Brontos Peon

Best Answers:
    For many years Google present on market it looks like it was transformed from a really good company to absolutely different company which now has only one main goal - earn more and more money from their main services like PPC, PPV, and so on.

Can't say it for sure but it looks for me that even search results was more relevant some time ago as nowadays sometime I get quite extraordinary and absolutely irrelevant results for my search queries.

And as they are mostly interested only in projects which can make a high profit they are closing projects which couldn't make it.

Brontos, Jul 17, 2013 IP
    lassie911 likes this.
  19. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it weren't for In-Q-Tel (a CIA front company), Google wouldn't exist. The sheer storage and processing power required to get Google established could not have acquired so quickly by a couple of college students.

melprise, Jul 18, 2013 IP
    lassie911 likes this.
  20. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

If you knew what really goes on above and beyond all this "out there in the public knowledge arena" you would be amazed as that's just what is on the surface.

You need to go back to the likes of "Ostrich" in the 40's & 50's

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jul 20, 2013 IP