1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz is down

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by eXe, Oct 20, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No, not really. Certainly not any more than an incoming link from another page with equivalent PR.

Again, no, not really. If you were relying on DMOZ for your site promotion strategy, you were misleading yourself to begin with.

Nope. How much value do you think you were getting from all those mirrored links? Hint: duplicate content filters.

minstrel, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  2. justbadco1

justbadco1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a newbie but DMOZ sucks. From what I can see, they have very little practical use today and should be shut down. It's a monopoly of sorts and the fact that (some) search engines rely so heavily on their info is rediculous... ESPECIALLY when new sites (hmmmm... maybe even BETTER sites than the ones they list!!???) cannot even get listed due to their ongoing "technical difficulties", other issues and backlogs. What a joke/waste.

justbadco1, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  3. Makis77

Makis77 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its hurting reputation of dmoz all this fuss.

I dont think that they r reliable any more and my mind wasnt made by this problem that occured the last month

Makis77, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  4. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    So because you don't have a use for it, it must be worthless right? :rolleyes: It sounds to me like your 'gripe' is with those that choose to use its data not with dmoz. Most likely your issue should be directed to Google from the sounds of it. dmoz has NO control over who uses its data or how much the want to weigh it. Monopoly? Hardly, a monopoly would indicate the ability to prevent competition, anyone can start a free directory and offer free inclusion. They can even start it out with dmoz data so I fail to see how dmoz has a monopoly on anything. I am not saying everything is perfect, far from it.
    There are loads of things that could use improving and somethings I believe may be improving slowly, but blaming dmoz for what a search engine decides to do is just crazy. As for the technical difficulties, sure that is troubling. Its just as frustrating for editors (maybe more so) as it is for everyone else. The argument that dmoz being down somehow effected the search engines holds some merit I suppose, but given how infrequently and random Google (for example) chooses to update their copy I doubt a month (or two) down time would have much of an effect.

copperdrum, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  5. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! For what? PR?

Well if the game is to get popular, DMOZ lost from the whole beginning, my parents knows wikipedia better than DMOZ and though DMOZ is the biggest directory on internet:rolleyes:

No! ROFL! Why are we adding sites to directories?
    To increase the chance to appear on search engine results pages :), when you type 'gay directory' on google you see http://www.gaymoz.org/ appears in position 4.

Here is the tricky question! Does DMOZ ranks on google? Yes it does... on page 3 or 2! Wikipedia is taking over, and lol from what i saw wikipedia is the new DMOZ with editors that farts higher than their asses, though wikipedia contains real information.

So if there are no more macdonalds nobody will eat burgers anymore is that what you mean? :D

irka, Dec 4, 2006 IP
    helleborine and jjwill like this.
  6. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh btw at wikipedia editors never complains of bad submissions (here bad articles suggestions), they let you remove the informations you added yourself if it is not convinient instead of banning you and delete your links without warning. You can really communicate with Wikipedia editors :D, did anyone ever got a nice answer from Resource Zone's DMOZ Meta Ultra Super Editors that talks 12 languages?

That wikipedia stuff is way way way better and gives stronger links than DMOZ, so everybody focus on wikipedia now :D

irka, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  7. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    irka, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I did not find a single mention about DMOZ at the link you mentioned.. I did notice the BlackHat link is broken though...

Mia, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  9. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    According to wikipedia's external linking help page:

Important Points to Remember Item #2:

lmocr, Dec 4, 2006 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  10. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically yes, while I was editor I linked several DMOZ categories I was maintaining with Wiki and vice versa, now these categories will fall in disrepair and DMOZ link will become useless… :(

Ivan Bajlo, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  11. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I've seen the effect on google-serps when a new DMOZ directory was created - and it was huge. From highly irrelevant results to well organized serps with good links in the top 10. Whether DMOZ is relevant to your parents is irrelevant to google. Google knows that a DMOZ link is a trusted link.

That isn't to say that wikipedia isn't a major player - and with DMOZ going or gone, it is likely to become more important.

As for duplicate content filters: I've just added a few copies of DMOZ-directory pages to my own links-collection and within two weeks a few were ranking within the top 20 for relevant keywords (below DMOZ and google-directory though). Duplicate content filters help get rid of the other 100s of duplicates, but a duplicate from a trusted site does count some. In my case with reason: a copy I make is an editorial choice, which is what decides whether something is spam or useful to human beings.

kh7, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Really? I guess that splains all those dead links that show up in google results lucy!

Mia, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I agree, Mia. Kh7's post is yet another example of superstitious thinking. There's a lot of that going around about Google. There always has been when it comes to Google.

minstrel, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  14. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Under the section 'References' you have a lot of external links (links are static intact with no-nofollow [means its really ok]), but under the section External Link you just see a link pointing to DMOZ Seo category,

When a wiki editor is adding content to any articles, he has the right to add links to other sites in the External Link section, so the editor of the SEO article didn't want to add other external links but the one to DMOZ!! Also editors at wikipedia are not webmaster at all, so someone gotta do the job for them, and guess who??

Even for the french part of SEO, only a DMOZ link in the external link section, seems like it's universal...
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referencement

LOL! Perhaps adding wiki's links to DMOZ is a way to keep it alive, but seriously with all those angelfire, tripod, typepad, blogspot, wordpress etc.. etc... free hosting sh*t on DMOZ you expect it to live for thousand years?

A fact is i am an editor on my own directories, i never added a link to DMOZ on any of them. But... try to run a search for wikipedia on http://www.irkawebdirectory.com. Yep! A lot!

Seriously directories like DMOZ could have a future (look at Yahoo which is doing fine, i love their countries categories part it's really well maintained.), it is because of a lack of improvments, creativity and research that led DMOZ where it is today: on PAGE 3 of google.com
    Even google directory appears on page 3. Yahoo directory appears always above those 2 directories

Wikipedia is perfect and there is nothing to say, editors can be bad seriously i don't care cause there is no way to compete with wikipedia (DMOZ too but LESS competition since we all know that DMOZ doesn't lists new websites for a long time).

I don't think DMOZ is useless, i think it needs a big clean up! I don't know hwat's really going on at DMOZ... I think the older editors just forgot why they're editors, well usually you replace the old ones with new/fresh ones right? So why not firing all the editors at DMOZ and pick up new ones?

irka, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Perfect? Is anything really perfect?

So, you don't know what's going on, and you don't know me, but you've decided I should be fired? I need to be replaced? Experience and dedication count for nothing?

You're a scary fellow irka. I'm glad you're not in a position to harm me, because yes, I am old. I feel sorry for your parents, have you gotten rid of them yet? :rolleyes:

Soylent Green is PEOPLE! :D

compostannie, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Annie's correct. I learned that from Homer Simpson.

minstrel, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  17. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Arf! Annie you got a point here! We can't get rid of all of them of course... You have experience, they have experience. So far DMOZ is dying not only because its server is down, i dunno what category you edit nor what is your status nor all those stuffs so don't take it personally (even though you're a dmoz editor).

I don't know who is the boss of all the editors, then perhaps someone should replace him instead of firing everyone :D:D

And my parents are still alive, i didn't got rid of them.

What does that mean?

irka, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  19. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green :D:D

So now i get it... Yes they are still people and i agree with homer simpson!

irka, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Just having a little fun with you irka. ;)

compostannie, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    irka likes this.