1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do/did you do about your inability with graphics?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by ryan_uk, Jul 8, 2013.

?

How did you overcome being rubbish with graphics?

1. Plenty of practice.

50.0%
  2. I didn't - I always outsource.

20.0%
  3. I didn't - I have someone on staff.

10.0%
  4. I couldn't and keep churning out visually-challenged sites.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm a graphics guru and this poll isn't for me.

20.0%
    For those of you who are (like me) terrible at graphics, what do you do to deal with the issue? Just outsource or...? And for those of you who were terrible at graphics, but now manage to produce some visually appealing, how did you overcome your problem?

For me, graphics/design (such as colour choices) are the main stumbling block I have when it comes to making a website. I can't draw, terrible at choosing colours, picking a layout, etc. I would call myself "graphics-challenged" (or be utterly un-PC and say "graphicstard"). Normally, I'll pay someone (or get a friend to do it) to make an image of how the site should look and then code it in HTML and CSS myself. I don't like using pre-made templates, but rather take a "skeleton" (such as WordPress' Twenty Twelve or Drupal's Zen) and make one "unique" to that site.

However, it's something I would like to overcome, as it would reduce the amount of time it takes to produce a site, costs and also being reliant on someone else. I try to follow tutorials to make some basic images (e.g. I managed to adapt a crap logo someone made for me and make it into a good one and also produced a half decent "Twitter cover"). I use tools such as "Color Blender"* to help with choosing colours and Gimp or Paint.Net for making/editing images.

* http://www.colorblender.com/
    Code (markup):
    What tools/techniques do you use to make your crap graphics into good ones? Or do you just outsource?

Solved! View solution.
    ryan_uk, Jul 8, 2013 IP
    themes4all likes this.
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't do crap graphics (or crap logos as you put it), I just can't do graphics full stop so no point trying. Though I have an excellent eye for things and have even advised pro artists and even on their website designs/colours etc, but seriously can't do the hands on part of graphic design...

For cheap graphics I use the contest forum here on DP.

For more intricate and higher quality graphics which would cost a lot more I tend to swap skills for skills in order to keep costs down and so get my artwork from some of the best artists in the UK by providing them with page 1 Google search results, as well as which in order to share IP rights on thousands upon thousands of pounds worth of images we now share ownership of my TM as partners.

I now have three artist partners for a long term project who are sharing copyright in many images and are part owners of my TM (with other TM's planned to come) for a very long term project and even their children are also lined up to be part owners of multiple TM's and we are building a team which just needs coding partners now. Though saying that I have been talking to one of the oldest SEO's in the biz this weekend so fingers crossed I may be one step closer to the perfect dream team soon. But that is how I dealt with my needs for high quality images.

The IP rights thing on images is quite an interesting territory as it happens. Think Coca Cola logo...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  3. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Practice and practice, then we become good !! in fact to do that i always use my Imagination and sometimes i surf in my concurrent websites to get some inspiration ;)

themes4all, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the last time I needed one I just ran a competition (and the end result was very good), before that I paid someone and what a waste of time that turned out to be. (That's the image I had to turn into a decent one.)

Yeah, for sure I will keep practising, but every time I try to do the graphics myself, it slows me down massively and I get impatient.

ryan_uk, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  5. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    You have to make sure you have agreement with who designed what and who has IPR Ryan it's a complicated old territory I found. Some will sign it away just like that, some don't think about it nor know or care, others will provide knowing full they could own copyright/IPR and can if it is not clear even try and claim it on your own desings.

I found the perfect solution for my things by convincing the artists to share copyright across multiple cartoon brands all of which will need up as TM's at some point, so well worth the sharing IPR from their points of view and mine.

I knew not to do this myself for that exact reason Ryan well that and that i am just not good at the hands on part no matter how good my eye is, as like PHP coding (for a plugin/widget I need for example which would also need long term developing) I know it is not for me and as writing and writing a novel (where I have set time frames spread over many years) as well it slows me down way too much with too much to do and too little time to get it all fit in, as SEO is my thing (well and the books I am writing) and so I don't have time enough in this lifetime to dedicate to such things, but for those with time it's always nice to learrn such things if it is something they feel they can do and wish to learn.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jul 8, 2013 IP
    I know the feeling but what i do is talking with my self :
    "Let's do it! why the hell this one can do that and not ME!!"
    When i finish i say to my self "Good Job Hisham, You Rock Man! you even didn't Learn about it" :):):)

Seriously, this what i do ;)

themes4all, Jul 8, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and ryan_uk like this.
  7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Well, that is what I am doing now, just trying to make a nice design. Actually, it's going well so far. Looks OK. Overcoming various CSS problems (in fact, I see them as limitations of Zen, which is the theme I'm basing it around) without using dirty hacks (I hope).

I forgot to mention earlier that another useful tool I use in the design process is JSFiddle as it's useful to just experiment and see what happens on a smaller scale.

@R-D, you seem to be talking about visual content (whereas I am more on about graphics and visual design aspects for a website - such as logo, pretty colours and whatever else). I'm sure my stickmen would rock for content.

ryan_uk, Jul 8, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  8. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

I am sure those stick men would make great logo mascots Ryan. But yes I get what you mean.

Not sure how there was a best answer above though LOL, was this thread really looking for a one answer with it's wording it would suggest this was a discussion not a question that could have a best answer. Still that will be me in the minority again, seeing that as a joke...

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Well, the point is, themes4all is right, it's about motivating yourself and believing in yourself to achieve what you need to do and that's what I did. Instead of being sat there staring at the base Zen theme, I made it into my own design. So whilst different software is helpful for people like me, without self-belief as well I would have just got eye-ache.

ryan_uk, Jul 9, 2013 IP
    themes4all likes this.
  10. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    Today you can with help of the internet, learn anything. Indeed, many of the things you can learn will take time and patience. But I always prefered to learn instead of paying someone. After 5 years, I do think I can create a lot with illustrator, photoshop and cinema 4d. I really enjoy learning to drive such creative tools because it opens so many possibilities for ideas.

YesThatsMe, Jul 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  11. mione

mione Member

Best Answers:
    I have absolutely no graphics skill at all - am therefore very easily impressed by other people's skills! I have used fiverr for some things but generally my in house graphics guy is very helpful

mione, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  12. HarmoniousQ

HarmoniousQ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't profess to be any graphics pro at all, I'm not really great however you just have to practice I guess. People don't just become graphics gurus with no experience in it whatsoever..?

HarmoniousQ, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Good point. Sometimes people just focus on the spammy link services from Fiverr and forget it has some other uses, often in the creative/visual area.

You're absolutely right, it takes practise to know the software, but you also need some natural talent to make good graphics/designs, I think. I've learnt how to make various things, but I can't say they look very good lol. Although I am a bit impressed with two recent site designs. Obviously flukes to never happen again.

ryan_uk, Jul 18, 2013 IP