1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I use VPS for my Website?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by outanmax, Jul 7, 2013.

Hello everyone,

I've a website which has ~7k visitors/day. I am using shared (web) hosting (Ultimate Hosting plan) from NameCheap. It cost me almost $11/month. Namecheap is really good, they have great support, good domains, their hosting plans are also good.

But my website becomes more popular and gets more traffic. I want to get a little bit faster hosting.

I am thinking to buy a VPS Hosting for $20/month (or maybe for $40/month).

Should I transfer my website to VPS? Will it faster'ize my website?

Information:

$20/month
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 8 CPU (1x priority)
    • 24 GB Storage
    • 2 TB Transfer
    $40/month
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 8 CPU (2x priority)
    • 48 GB Storage
    • 4 TB Transfer

outanmax, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  2. Slincon

Slincon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say go with the $40/month if you're serious about your site. By upgrading it doesn't mean that your site is guaranteed to go faster, it just means you have more resources available to run your site (CPU, etc.).

Slincon, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  3. rojishroy

rojishroy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I run a website with similar traffic, and I am using a VPS from Knownhost (2 GB RAM, 30 GB SSD hard disk, 3 TB Bandwidth). After moving to VPS I saw a considerable change in the speed.

So yes, I will suggest you to move to a VPS :)

rojishroy, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  4. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just check whether your resources usage (cpu cycles etc.) via control panel is going beyond the limit or not. If it is near to the limit you can decide to go for a VPS plan. If it is beyond the limit definitelty you have to go for a VPS asap or your shared hosting account may suspended.
    My opinion is go step by step when you are upgrading your web hosting.

dumindushalika, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  5. robbydeletter

robbydeletter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, why go vps if your shared hosting plan can handle it?
    Do you have problems with performance.
    People go way to soon to vps...

robbydeletter, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  6. hosting_spec80

hosting_spec80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    outanmax, I would recommend you Hostgator as they constantly offer discounts and the work and quality of the technical support is personally controlled by the owner of the company.

hosting_spec80, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  7. outanmax

outanmax Banned

Best Answers:

Yes, it can for now. But I think it won't handle more traffic in the future.

Hostgator is popular and good hosting, but I don't like it.

outanmax, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  8. robbydeletter

robbydeletter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do it when you really need it, else you are trowing money away.

robbydeletter, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  9. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Would you rather move your sites now in a timely and peaceful time frame or wait until your shared host limits your account or puts a cap on your resources and causes loads of connection errors for your users?

For your visitors I would go with the 2GB Ram plan, at least you will be set up for the future then and can easily upgrade resources with one click as your traffic increases even more.

amcg, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  10. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check your resource usage, and see what are your requirements (CPU, RAM, Bandwidth) and according to that select relevant VPS hosting.

Densely, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  11. Teodor

Teodor Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, VPS would be reasonable choice of hosting solution. Hostingsource.com would be ok for you.
    They offer 50% off the price, use the code: 50%discount
    You will be very pleased. Initial site up in hours, all support queries are responded to extremely quickly, easy control panel for a novices, etc.

Teodor, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  12. compevo

compevo Member

Best Answers:
    I would try the first VPS plan, it is still quite good and should give you better performance than your shared hosting (assuming it's either overloaded or has a lot of clients on the same server). With the VPS it's so easy to upgrade so I wouldn't pay 2x the price if you may not need the extra CPU power.

I also want to caution that unless you have reason to believe your site is loading slow due to the usage of other sites it may not load faster. We've seen clients who have poorly written scripts/database calls that have gone onto our RAID 1+0 or SSD packages that haven't seen much of an improvement. So it depends on the cause of the slow performance.

compevo, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  13. Blinky82

Blinky82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will also recommend to try some cheap VPS plan, before you o any funder. Why, well from the day I started using VPS plans and dedicated servers, I haven't got any problem, that usually I do with share plans. I know that the investment is more per month, but you don't have to worry all the time if someone (there are usually a lot) trying something on the machine you are. Mostly, installing some unverified scripts or softwares. :)

If your site has more than 7K per month, you should really think of something more serious than share or even reseller hosting plans. If you do your research, you can get a good offer for those $40/m. Go, without having any doubt. ;)

Blinky82, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  14. Ritu Sen

Ritu Sen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, as almost everyone's said, right now stay in the same shoes and dont try to jump to VPS. if your website is making money and you are sure it will continue doing so.. then you may start using VPS. there are many options available in the market. One of the most simpler ones and user friendly ones that ive tried include VPS Hosting.(http://www.vpshosting.com.hk/en/home) Check out their plans. They seemed perfect to me.

Ritu Sen, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  15. Vernard

Vernard Member

Best Answers:
    If your website is running fine on shared web hosting then I'd stick with it for now. VPS services can become an expensive, especially if you have never maintained your own web server. The good thing about shared web hosting is that they will notify you once your site has become too resource intensive for their shared hosting environment. If you jump to a VPS and you do not have enough resources then you will experience downtime multiple times until you find a solution.

If shared web hosting works, then try optimizing your site to keep the load times down. You can implement website caching to help, optimize images, and reduce the number of plugins you have. Optimizing your MySQL database can help greatly.

Vernard, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  16. anyNode

anyNode Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you feel that your web site is growing rapidly you should upgrade to a VPS with a cPanel license, that way you can easily expand your site. If I was you I would move to a VPS now before your site becomes too big for namecheap to handle.

anyNode, Jul 17, 2013 IP
    Blinky82 likes this.
  17. Ritu Sen

Ritu Sen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Optimizing your site is a must in case of shared web hosting. Plus, You cannot survive all your life on shared resources. Utilize resources very efficiently while on reseller hosting.

Ritu Sen, Jul 20, 2013 IP