1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google says links not important - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by SEO_Yoda, Jun 20, 2013.

Interesting article over at SearchEngineLand - basically Google has updated their advice to webmasters saying that its more important to build great content that people will want to "share", than trying to get links. It seems to me the wording is subtle, and that links are still important and that social shares are included in that. What do you think?

http://searchengineland.com/google-changes-ranking-advice-says-build-quality-sites-not-links-163931

SEO_Yoda, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  2. tanmay.kamath1992

tanmay.kamath1992 Member

Best Answers:
    They are not saying to stop link building completely
    Some SEO make the mistake of building too much links and they create backlinks at spammy blogs and forums.
    So they are just saying to stop it and get some quality backlinks which is not possible if the content is rich :) :p
    And there is no need of building too much links
    If the quality is rich in contents then google will crawl it :)

tanmay.kamath1992, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  3. Jen 101

Jen 101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is just reiterating what they've already been saying. Don't go for a bunch of spammy links, build links naturally with good content that people want to share.

Jen 101, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  4. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    Links give you exposure, but sharing increases your popularity. I think both together help increase PR, Alexa, etc. I see the point, though. Google is trying to diminish the importance of gaining links.

Alyssa Lochmore, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  5. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google wants to still value linking highly for ranking purposes, but doesn't want you to think they do. Google is not in support of SEO, that is, people consciously optimizing their sites, even with good quality content or links. Optimizing means artificiality, and G wants to see only "natural" content and links.

melprise, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  6. yang247

yang247 Peon

Best Answers:
    Link building is not that important, but to improve the quality of links , Google is to combat spam links
    Link seo is a very important element

yang247, Jun 20, 2013 IP
  7. Nercciss

Nercciss Member

Best Answers:
    never trust google , if link is not important then why sites with high pr links rank much higher then normal sites, content matter a lil bit , i read some case studies that people get PR 3 for their domain without content just only with help of backlinks

Nercciss, Jun 21, 2013 IP
    evpstud likes this.
  8. smart-seo9

smart-seo9 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is squidoo nofollow now?

smart-seo9, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  9. bogartkick

bogartkick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would really say that if Google wants to "love" your own website, you don't really need to do a lot of backlinks everyday. But most importantly, try not to spam your links to various sources. And I would also like to suggest that you should diversify your links instead of just sticking to only one keyword for your website like "Click here to buy [keyword]", "Visit our [keyword] website", etc.

bogartkick, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  10. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the google search engine is not based on backlinks, then on what? They just tidy their kitchen.

Auxi, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  11. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google says no backlinks but backlinks are still needed... but you should do link building with content creation.

The ratio of content creation and link building should be maintained.

alex06295, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  12. l_i_z

l_i_z Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe links are still important. If not, then how to calculate page rank?
    Think about domain authority and page authority... it is not just about content but also linking root domains. Social shares is one way of building links and I guess they are promoting it even more because your content get to reach more readers.

l_i_z, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  13. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, links are still important but now content should be given importance (first priority).

SERPpoint, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  14. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's exactly that. Links are more important than ever, and the best links are those from social sharing. The key to getting a lot of social shares is by sharing valuable, high-quality content, so it's really no wonder Google is telling webmaster to produce more quality content.

Have a good day!

affilorama, Jun 28, 2013 IP
  15. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    ff
    I']I think what they are getting at is that the days of massive link building automation scripts are done. Links still count, provided they are truly relevant to each other. Websites, blogs, articles and so forth that are linked and are complimentary in their content and purpose give Google a sign that these sites have some authority.

SCookAAM, Jun 28, 2013 IP
  16. melprise

Best Answers:
    "Quality" links to Google are links that seem to be acquired naturally, based on their diversity and speed by which they were gotten. If a new site gets 100 high PR backlinks in a weekend, Google thinks the site may be 'spammy' regardless of their authority, relevance, or the quality of the content. The recent algo changes have demoted artificial content creation or linking to improve rankings, not just spam.

Google doesn't like off-site SEO, or on-site SEO---it likes natural link development, natural content, natural keyword density. "Good" content or links that do not appear to be organic are vulnerable to being hammered by Google, so people here should shake off the "quality, quality" trance they seem to be under, and instead try to focus on making their content and linking as natural looking as possible.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    melprise, Jun 28, 2013 IP
  17. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is a very good point. Organic is certainly key. The best links are those from sites that have syndicated blogs and article content, as well as video and so on.

SCookAAM, Jun 28, 2013 IP
  18. melprise

Best Answers:
    melprise, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  19. hangbowl

hangbowl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think, links is still required for google. Good neighborhood is determine the site is good or not. As others say. High quality content make people want to share, even people can spammy with sharing too.

hangbowl, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  20. Nathan Mclean

Nathan Mclean Member

Best Answers:
    I bought 4 high PR directory links for my site a few days ago and bumped my site up 4 places.

Nathan Mclean, Jun 30, 2013 IP