1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does money keywords in URL penalize?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rockiesfan24, Jun 11, 2013.

I know Matt Cutt's said something on twitter a little bit back about your URL either not affecting SEO or maybe even harming it. I can't seem to find this anywhere anymore, is anyone sure if it does have an affect? Either negative or positive? I can't see it being possible that it actually hurts you.

rockiesfan24, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  2. lesterj

lesterj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe Matt Cutts was referring to URLs that use long and obviously spammy URLs that are simply there to target the keyword, that those could possibly harm a website or at least not be taken into account when raking the site. This is more true for domain names than page filenames. Wordpress almost always has long, page filenames.

That said, I don't believe having a keyword in your URL is generally going to hurt your rankings, especially if the keyword used in the URL is something simple and short. For example, a spammy URL might be something like Seo–for–marketing–in–automotive–niche.com but if you just had something like AutomotiveMarketing.com that would not be a problem.

lesterj, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  3. jaminess

jaminess Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never heard about that it might hurt you having your keyword in the url. I think its the opposite.

An actually I have only heared about that it always helps. Even Matt cutts said that one itme.

jaminess, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes putting keyword in URL's is ultra bad for SEO *

you should just write nonsense like item-1-category-six-12345 to make it real hard for Googlebot to work out what the freaking nora a page is about

never write clear URL's like example Google URL Green-dress & the worse thing you can do is put "size-10-green-dress" in a URL as that will seem ultra spammy and might look like you are targeting size 10 green dresses

now once you make sure you don't do that, whatever you do don't get marked as spam by using real long descriptive URL's like "size-10-green-dress-silk" or "size-10-green-dress-satin-look" or Google will for sure never know what the heck your page is about.

Or you could jut think it's URL's I asked about not domains I don't get the answers these people are giving me and put it down to c'est la vie...

[​IMG]

* I am kidding btw

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    BestySEO likes this.
  5. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is your urls should look natural this is the main thing here, neither all the urls should be short nor long... you can also follow about.com how it formats url.. how it provides content and how it is called authority site.

SERPpoint, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  6. social-media

social-media Member

Best Answers:
    Revelations-Decoder had me going for a sec. I was like, "WTH is he saying?" But when I say the "green-dress" reference, I knew he was BS'ing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using "money keywords" in a URL if the page associated with that URL is targeting a "money keyword". As someone else said, as long as the URL does not seem spammy, you should be fine.

social-media, Jun 15, 2013 IP
    Canonical likes this.
  7. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

you confuse bullshitting with a little humour, allbeit somewhat sarcastic... wake up! :p

Revelations-Decoder, Jun 15, 2013 IP
    Canonical likes this.