1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I sat on a Ikea Chair and it broke and I got injured

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by shahab6, Jun 12, 2013.

So my friend had just bought a chair from Ikea, and I sat on it, and it broke. And my hip got very very bruised and swollen, cause i hit the metal thing hard. Anyways, 2 days later my friend went to the store and told them what happen, and they told me to come in to write a report. Do I have any case against this, or am just going to waste my time.

shahab6, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How many parts left over did your friend have after building it? ;)

browntwn, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    There may be lawyers who are used to chasing after ambulances, coming to you offering to help with a 50:50 split on the proceeds :) . I guess there isn't much case, maybe a complaint and a free replacement?

wisdomtool, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    GMF likes this.
  4. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had a plastic chair once which a friend sat on, on the label it said max weight 100kg. They weighed more, the chair broke in a spectacular style. I almost injured myself because of my sides splitting with laughter. They were also bruised but I think their pride was more damaged.

Seriously though, if the chair is faulty, maybe you could sue if you can prove it. If your friend constructed it poorly, maybe you could sue your friend. Of course with these type of claims, if you win, the cost is met by someone else, perhaps ikea's insurance company and everyone ends up paying through higher insurance premiums. The whole blame/claim culture that has developed is a bit sickening really.

If you aren't seriously injured, just suck it up and get on with your life. Oh and maybe buy your friend a new chair because you broke his last one.

HolyRoller, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  5. Avener

Avener Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IKEA tests out all their chairs numerous times before releasing them.
    Unless this was a defect caused by the manufacturer, which rarely occurs, there unfortunately isn't much you can do.

Also, being able to prove that the issue existed and that it was not caused by you would be hard.

Avener, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not trying to be rude but may I ask you a personal question? Are you over or under 400 pounds? If you are over then we ought not to blame the chair.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This, lol...
    I couldn't decide on fat or litigious piece of shit.

Nigel

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Nigel Lew, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  8. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was injured when in a car when someone shot a bottle rocket out of the window, and he lost control of the car, and I ended up in the hospital, and not able to work for a month due to my back. His car insurance paid for the medical bills, but when I talked to an attorney, he just pretty much said suck it up, if you did not loose any limbs, and his insurance paid the medical bills, then that was going to be the best I was going to get. Attorneys are not in this for "if" we are going to win a ligation battle, and if they do take a
    case, then they have experience to know they will win a case, and they will get 30-40% of what you win.

However, if you got hurt enough that you had to go to the hospital, then
    ask them to pay your medical bills, replace the chair, or go to civil court.
    the cost of a chair, and a someone to look at your bruise would not
    warrant anything more then a civil court, your claim is just to small.....

but I think you already know the answer to your question.

If you would have broken you neck, back, then that would be
    an entirely different matter all the way...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    dscurlock, Jun 16, 2013 IP