1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Much Research Is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Hallofwords, Jun 12, 2013.

Every copywriter probably has their own opinion on this subject. I would just like to get some of those opinions from them. I'm sure the answers will be varied and I would like to know just what some of my fellow copywriters think on the subject. Of course I realize that each particular sales letter is going to vary and it also will depend on how well you already know the subject so for clarity's sake let's say you know nothing about the product or the target audience. Also the sales page is not going to be all that long, say 700 words. That's all I can think of now as far as the criteria goes, but if you feel I've left something out please say so.

Hallofwords, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  2. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    My short answer, it depends. If it's a medical article, I can write it without looking up anything. If I'm writing about mold removal for first-time home buyers in The Middle of Nothing, Kansas, like I usually am, I have to research quite a bit for my article to not be "fluffy".

aidanriley629, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  3. rockiesfan24

rockiesfan24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is ever a "set" amount of research I do, it always changes depending on the topic i'm writing about. If I have background of said topic, I will just google a few things to add some "fluff", like Aidan said.

rockiesfan24, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll third an answer of it depends.

Much of the time, the research itself directs the process. For example, on one project a competitor's materials left me with unanswered questions. I then searched for my own answers and built my client's piece around them. When I started, I had not even considered those same points.

YMC, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  5. alexandrubitca

alexandrubitca Active Member

Best Answers:
    My research ends when I have understood the subject or what's the main purpose of the company. So, if I understood it, then the readers sure as hell will too.

alexandrubitca, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  6. cjp214

cjp214 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the time definitely varies. But you have to keep bombing information about the client, their company, competitors, etc. into your brain until it spits out the "hook" on which you'll base the sales letter.

"What is it about the client's product/service that provides unique value and makes them stand out from their competition?"

When you can answer that question, you've probably done enough. Good luck!

-Corey

cjp214, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  7. Waqas_Rasheed

Waqas_Rasheed Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    LOOK LOOK LOOK....
    WHY ARE YOU asking about Research...???
    I think You just have to Calm and Think because Your Brain is the Biggest Library and Your Heart is the Key of that Library...
    Now be Cool,Be Calm and Just Think...
    If You Write with Your Brain and Heart then It would Be the Most Valuable Writing because It is Personal...
    [​IMG]

Waqas_Rasheed, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  8. HomeDesigner

HomeDesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It requires as much researches as possible, I guess that once you are ready to explain that subject in an easy way, then you can say that you are educated enough about it.

HomeDesigner, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  9. Roy Harmon

Roy Harmon Member

Best Answers:
    I think that's the best answer. Research as much as you can afford to based on how much you're being paid and how much time you have. And, of course, don't take a job if you don't feel that you'll be able to meet the client's expectations for the money and the time they're giving you.

Roy Harmon, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  10. edirty

edirty Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%

edirty, Jun 22, 2013 IP
  11. falsebook

falsebook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps the most important part of a copywriter is genuinity and proper understanding of content.
    so research does play a vital role.If it's your first time around a particular topic, then you'll want to just do some general research to get to know the topic.Browse some forums, read some blogs and just get to know the matter.

falsebook, Jun 24, 2013 IP
  12. takanomi

takanomi Member

Best Answers:
    You don't know what you don't know ... so on that score research is valuable in writing any meaningful content that's going to resonate with its intended audience. A well-researched piece of content will always outshine one with minimal or no research at all.

takanomi, Jun 25, 2013 IP
  13. Idan Cohen

Idan Cohen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need to research until you reach a point where you understand all your products' features and benefits, and until you really understand:

Who your target audience is?
    What are their problems and frustrations?
    How does your product solve those problems?
    Why should they buy from you and not someone else? (your competitive advantage)

If you know the answers to the above questions you should be ready to start writing.

Idan Cohen, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  14. Mouad.bk

Mouad.bk Member

Best Answers:
    Totally, there are 3 Research :

Content ideas research
    Keyword research
    Affiliate products research

Mouad.bk, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  15. ReferralCandy

ReferralCandy Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed with Idan. Make sure you know what you're going to be writing about as best as you can - inside out if you really want to be completely well-versed and immersed in it but there's no real need to get to such depths unless what you're writing involves some pretty technical or detailed aspects. The ultimate goal is to write in a way that's easy to read, digest and understand for the masses, to talk about all that someone needs to know about the topic/product. Good copywriters condense information into bite-sized chunks that aren't dry or loaded with terminology.

ReferralCandy, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  16. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you feel you've got the information with which you can do justice to the topic you're writing on, you need to research :)

TPvinod, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  17. Web Outsourcing Gateway

Web Outsourcing Gateway Member

Best Answers:
    If you already answered the 5Ws and H of your topic, especially the Why part, and you are satisfied with it, and you verified the facts you've gained, then you're ready to publish your piece.

Web Outsourcing Gateway, Oct 22, 2015 IP
  18. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree with others who have commented - but there is also the QUALITY of the sources you find for research. It helps very little if you find 3 research resources that are ill-informed. The writer's research skills need to be sound enough not only to understand what they do not know but also to have a sense if the site or books they turn to are good resources to use for research. That being said, I think a good rule of thumb is about 3 research resources for most topics can be helpful, sometimes you need more. But quality matters so much! :)

EspressoChick, Nov 2, 2015 IP
  19. MercedezThomson

MercedezThomson Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with previous answer. It depends on what exactly you're working with. But I love researching that's why I spend a lot of time doing it. I think even more than necessary.

MercedezThomson, Oct 4, 2016 IP
  20. tekton61

tekton61 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think - the more, the better.

tekton61, Oct 10, 2016 IP