1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to change my hosting service provider?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by v4vaibhav, Jun 11, 2013.

I think the title of thread says enough about my requirement. Currently I am using godaddy but I find it too slow and problematic. I am trying to change my hosting to some other service provider.

But I am not too tech savvy and I am afraid that I may mistakes, and end up screwing up all the work done so far. I don't want to loose it.

I request the experts to please take some time out and mention the step wise approach to do this, so that I don't make a mistake. Also tell the main problems which I may face from goddady and must take care of.

Thanks

v4vaibhav, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  2. Thriftypreneur

Thriftypreneur Member

Best Answers:
    I would think that all you would need to do to transfer hosting without incurring any downtime would be to completely backup your site and databases. Then, upload your backed up files to new hosting provider or have your new host assist you in setting it all up. Last, simply change your DNS information to point to the new host.

Problem solved.

Most decent hosting providers will help you move everything over once you acquire an account with them.

Good luck.

Thriftypreneur, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you are on cpanel now, and moving to a new cpanel provider, then your host can perform a cpanel to cpanel move with just 1 click. All they need is your current username and password.
    You then just need to change your name servers to the new correct ones.

I believe that you will need to keep your current hosting active for up to 3 days, to allow time for your domain name to correctly point to the new server, but it should be less then this.

matt_62, Jun 11, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy does not use cPanel; they have their own custom panel.

First things first, BACK UP YOUR SITE. Make a backup of all your files, then make a backup of your databases. That way if you screw something up, you still have a backup of your site. Your new host should help you with the move. Some won't touch GoDaddy or other custom control panels, some will. Just depends. At the end of the day though, as long as you have a backup of your databases and your files, it's generally just a matter of uploading the databases to your new host, and then FTP'ing all your files.

WSWD, Jun 11, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. hosting_spec80

hosting_spec80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Godaddy is more a domain registrar, than a hosting provider. That is why it is better just to register domains at their side, but not to buy hosting packages.

If you want to transfer your files to a different hosting provider, just ask Godady to make your site backup ( or it yourself via cPanel backup tools). Then save this backup to your PC and when you move to another hosting provider, they will help you to restore that backup on their servers.

hosting_spec80, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  6. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would describe the simple way to move your web:
    A. At your old Host (GoDaddy or whatever it is)
    ## Back Up Files ##
    1. Go to Control Panel
    2. Open web file explorer (open file explorer in browser)
    3. Choose and open Public_HTML
    4. Click 'Select all files' (make sure all files are selected)
    5. Click 'compress' (compress all those files into one)
    6. One big file will be created. It is your file which need to be moved to new host.
    7. Download it to your computer for backup. You need to transfer it to new host account.
    ## Back Up Database ## (if you use databases)
    1. In Your control Panel, Open PhPMyAdmin
    2. Locate/select your database (select your database. If you don't know which one, just backup all of them)
    3. Find the menu Export, click it. Your database will be exported to file. click 'Custom' and 'Select all' for each table and make sure to 'Compress it' into zib / tar /gzip (choose one, I prefer Gzip).
    4. Safe the file to your computer.
    NOTE:
    1. Alternatively you may use menu Backup in Control panel (whenever it available) and select Backup Files (for Files) and Backup Database (for DB)
    2. Download all file using FTP is good while download only compressed file is better. Using SSH to perform migration is the best option but it need advanced knowledge and only available if SSH access granted. All hos using this method to migrate their clients.
    3. Write the name of your databases, users and password if you want to use the same information. It is safe not to do it. Using the same information is good only for easier access. However, it is strongly not recommended. I have good reason for it.
    B. buy a new web host.
    ## Restoring files ##
    1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Open Web File explorer
    3. Find Public_HTML folder and upload your compressed file. Once it done, be sure to de-compress it. Find menu 'Extract' and use it.
    4. Done. (you may wish to delete the compressed file)
    ## Restoring Databases ##
    1. In your control Panel, seek for Databases and select it.
    2. Create your database by using 'create new Database'
    3. Create new user by using 'Add User'.
    4. Add user to manage database by 'Add User to Database'. You'll see a window with 'set priviliges' options. Check all the options and you're good to go.
    5. Back to Control Panel and seek for PhPMyAdmin (usually available in 'Database' group/category).
    6. Find menu 'Import' and click it. Click select file and a small window will open. Locate your earlier database file and select it. Click 'upload' and wait for it to finish.
    7. You'll see all your databases and tables exactly the same as what was available in your host.
    Notes:
    1. Using menu 'restore' is recommended as it will automate the process.
    2. write down your database name, its users and Password while managing Database.
    3. Use SSH Console by using 'wget' to retrieve file from old host (if SSH console is available).
    When you have done for both step A and B above. Your site will be 85 finished.
    Here is what you need to do:
    1. Edit your config file
      in WP, it would be 'wp-config' file, Other CMS has their own 'Config' files.
    2. Change Database name', 'user', 'Password' and 'Host' Type (usually local host / 127.0.0.1).
    3. Done.
    Once you sure have done all the step above,
    In your Old Control Panel:
    1. Go to manage DNS.
    2. select your site.
    3. Change the value in 'yoursite dot com' and 'www dot yoursite dot com' to your new host. If you don't know the iP of your new host, ask them or doing trace-route. Doing so for the email and any DNS setup.
    4. Once it done, your new hosting will take the job without downtime at 1 second.
    Last,
    1. Go to your domain registrar
    2. Click manage 'Name Server'
    3. Change 'Name Server' to the new hosting 'Name Server'.
    4. Done, your site will be served from your new hosting (While witing propagation time, old DNS will point it to your new hosting using IP change)
    5. After three or five days, make sure to wipe out all files and data from your old host.
    That is so easy to move website from one host to another. I wish you find it easy and try it by yourself when you feel ready to do it.
    Suggestion:
    1. Don't move host. If you have trouble with your hosting, ask for support.
    2. If your site is slow, make sure to ping their server to find out which one is actually slow, Your site configuration or their server.
    3. If their site is slow, nicely inform it to them and request to move it into better server/cluster.
    4. If your site configuration is what causing it to work slowly, optimize it. I used to modify the Core of CMS to make it work faster than expected under very bad condition.
    5. Always check your Log Errors for both hosting and your site. It will give you idea to fix the real problem.
    6. Bad Bots and wrong scripts will cause terrible result for both site and hosting. Eliminate anything which may interfere with your site and hosting.
    7. Hire professional to do it for you. Not me, I'm not well-knowledge people in term of both website/CMS and hosting. Find well respected member in DP that may able to help you. Open my profile and find the 'following' (which mean I'm following them) tab. If you were lucky, there is someone with more skills than me. (I'm not sure you can ask for help or they could help you, tough).
    8. Write any of your question in this thread and the whole member in DP will try to help you as fast as they could.
    ARICK.
    NB: I would like to recommend a well talented and qualified person for you but I still didn't have any friends that working in hosting companies.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Arick unirow, Jun 12, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  7. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow...thanks to all who took time and efforts to provide me a solution, especially Arick, thanks a ton.

You made it look too easy for a layman like me.

v4vaibhav, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  8. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you find it useful. I write it more than half hour to make sure it is write-able.
    I wish you already get perfect hosting for your valuable websites/blogs.
    I love tweaking Server/Hosting features and CMS core.

Anytime You have question, make sure to share it with all of us. Digital Point has so many talented members. I encourage you to help the others too as I believe everyone has their own skills. I see You have a website/blog. You may wish to share, help or guide another bloggers. :)

Arick.

Arick unirow, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  9. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah.. Always keep a back up in your computer before you change/migrating hosts.

dumindushalika, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  10. palsman

palsman Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can request from new company to make all this.

palsman, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  11. ruzler

ruzler Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, Nowadays any reliable host can do it for you no additional fee, just ask your new hosts tech staff for assistance

ruzler, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  12. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, Arick. I could realize the hard word you must have put in to write this extremely valuable and helpful material.

I do have a blog but honestly, I can only help people in my topic that is interviews, soft skills, interview questions answers, etc. Technically, honestly speaking, I am a moron who has no idea. Whatever I have created in form of blog, is purely dedicated to people like you who have helped me.

Still whatever I would be able to do and help with, I will surely do my best.

Thanks a lot.

v4vaibhav, Jun 27, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  13. radium

radium Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't like godaddy either, Just ask the new provider, They can do it in a jiffy.

radium, Jul 4, 2013 IP