1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get a guaranteed DMOZ listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Iscander, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I know, you are upset about the price that I mentioned $20-$100. You are still dreaming about old time when you and your friends could charge $400-$500 or more for listing. Time has changed and no matter how hard it is for your gang, you have to adapt. Personally I think that even $20 is way too much. ;)

gworld, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  2. lebinh23

lebinh23 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's good idea.

lebinh23, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  3. Webex

Webex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    is there any editor who can help me to submit my site in UK categories?
    Please PM me

Webex, May 5, 2013 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your PM's are unwanted and inappropriate, DO NOT contact me again. :(

snooks, May 5, 2013 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Editors like to be anonymous when they sell listings, it is common sense. ;):)

gworld, May 5, 2013 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Likewise as Snooks. Oh and the site has been reported, any site offering bribes to an editor can be banned forever.

Anonymously, May 5, 2013 IP
  7. mike10

mike10 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Heck I'll pay up to $500 if an editor can get my site listed on a top category.

mike10, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont even think about offering anyone a cent, it will have you and your sites banned immediately. :(

snooks, Jun 9, 2013 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

How about if he buys some "real human traffic" from you, can he get listed then?;):)

gworld, Jun 9, 2013 IP
  10. mike10

mike10 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks snooks for the advice but I can't believe it's that easy to get a site banned. If true, that would be the best way for people keep their competitors out of the directory. Looking through some of the sites listed at DMOZ, it's hard to believe quality check is what got them listed.

Anyways, it was an honest offer. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

mike10, Jun 9, 2013 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Certain checks and precautions would be taken to verify an offer or bribe, otherwise people would sabotage other peoples domains.

I didnt think for one minute you were making a serious bribe attempt, the statement i made was a warning that it was sounding close to one. Believe me when i say a link in ODP is no different from a link in any other directory. Its nothing magical, its not essential and its worth suggesting your site.....but then move on and what ever happens, happens.

Your content is what will make your site succeed.....

snooks, Jun 10, 2013 IP
  12. mike10

mike10 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Point well taken but I still think it must be worth something. Otherwise why are people so obsessed with it? I have seen many threads dedicated to this topic at various webmaster forums. Is it the forbidden fruit theory? It's so hard to get into it so everybody wants it, even if it doesn't mean much?

I don't understand what's wrong with paying an editor to at least review a site. No guarantees but review it. Obviously no one is going to offer $500 for just a review without any guarantees, but there's got to be a reasonable price. Editors are volunteers who edit submission as time permits. Considering the backlog at DMOZ, I think it's safe to say they lack time. They might be more motivated if they get some kind of compensation for their time and effort. I understand the risk of corruption but that depends on individuals. If an editor is corrupt, he/she will do it anyway.

mike10, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Editors dont lack time.....they dont even lack motivation. They are free to offer whatever time they wish to assist with the project, it may be the minimum of 1 edit every 3-4 months or it may be hundreds of edits per week. Some people collect stamps, some go surfing, we do editing. Simple as that :)

It is our hobby, we catalogue sites, build cities etc. DMOZ is not there to help any webmaster improve their serps, its not a listing service and it isnt your normal directory. We accept "suggestions" but thats what it is....its a SUGGESTION. There is no guarantee an editor will look in the suggestion pool, he may indeed just source sites by himself. There is no guarantee a suggestion will be reviewed.

Webmasters want a listing because they think its the Magic Link.......Goggle themselves have said that it is treated no differently to any other link of equal PR or strength.

You also need to keep in mind that we probably have around 4.5 MILLION sites and im guessing, what....say 1000 suggestions per day?

snooks, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Don´t worry about editors, they are already getting paid even if they dressed up as "SEO service" or "real human traffic". There are also some "honest" editors that don´t play games and just sell listings on free lance sites. ;):)

gworld, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can make all the accusations that you like......you simply make yourself look a fool. No one believes your outlandish claims and as usual, you cant show any proof.

snooks, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  16. oneyoucantsee

oneyoucantsee Active Member

Best Answers:
    This has always been one of my more favorite topics. DMOZ is pretty worthless SEOwise these days, but I always find it amusing when people go to argue about it. For the longest time I paid to have many sites added to DMOZ. Some of which are still listed today. And then when you say you paid, there is always an editor to call you a liar if you do not show proof LOL But, if you showed proof then they would have your listing removed. So, they get on a high horse about how you are a liar for not showing proof.

Anyway, to answer the OP. There are still people out there you can pay to land your site in DMOZ. Though, I do not think its worth a dime these days. Google has pretty come out and said they no longer favor directories. Dmoz is like Alexa, pointless

oneyoucantsee, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you saying people shouldn´t buy "Real human traffic" anymore? ;):)

gworld, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  18. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are being an idiot Gwold, people know your claims are unfounded so you can stop the foolish game :)

snooks, Jun 22, 2013 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ok people, keep buying "real human traffic" and DMOZ listing still worth something. Happy now? ;):)

gworld, Jun 22, 2013 IP
  20. david_ben

david_ben Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to ask to thread author,did he get what he wanted?? I'm looking for the same thing!

david_ben, Jun 22, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.