1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the appropriate CMS for my need?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Shanthan, Jun 7, 2013.

I am planning to make my first website for work (it's voluntary). I don’t know whether to use WordPress, Joomla or Drupal for my particular need. I was wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction and also tell me if this is even possible to do. Here is what I am trying to do:
    • Users must be able to login to view the contents of the website.
    • Website will be used to hold the following contents:
      • Schedule: I’ve posted a diagram below of how I would like the schedule to appear. I would like the manager to be able to edit the schedule directly on the screen like you would edit a post on Facebook, such as changing shifts, etc. But, everyone else should not be able to edit it.
      • I would like users (i.e., employees) to be able to request trading shifts on-line with other employees. So, I would like something setup such that they can fill in the shift information, send it to the other employee they are trading with, and then get their approval. I am picturing something like accepting a friend request on Facebook. Then, the final approval will be by the manager and he’ll actually make the change on the schedule. Essentially, the "approval" goes through 3-4 people. It'll be a step-by-step process.
      • A section to post news/events
      • Post meeting-minutes
      • Section where users can post discussion topics for the next meeting. I would like this to be in a list format.
    Are these possible to do? Will I be able to find add-ons in WordPress, Joomla or Drupal to accomplish these tasks?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Shanthan, Jun 7, 2013 IP
  2. cluongo18

cluongo18 Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress could do all of that with some heavy tweaking + plugin use. Though if you have never really used any of the above, Joomla MIGHT be better out of the box for adding in the features you wanted without as much as the extra effort you would neat to accomplish these things with Wordpress.

Plugins do exist for Wordpress for what you want (or relatively close to what you want) - I'm not sure about Joomla though, it more than likely does. Test both out is my advice, see which you like better.

cluongo18, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  3. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are unable to get one of those premade sites to get what you want them to do, PHP can handle all of this.

aidanriley629, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  4. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPres is an efficient CMS that suits to various requirements. WordPress provides with various themes, extensions and plugins that can help you to cater to your website needs and set up an impressive and an efficient website.

Markwebuk, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  5. wikie99

wikie99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is #1 for CMS, is very good for SEO, but if you want complex CMS, you can think of to use drupal....

wikie99, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  6. Shanthan

Shanthan Peon

Best Answers:

Thank you, I'll have to watch a lot of tutorials and trial-and-error to get this going. I'll be coming back here for more help.

Shanthan, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  7. Shanthan

Shanthan Peon

Best Answers:

Since I am completely new to this, doing everything from scratch will take a long, long time. I hope I can find plug-ins that can do most of what I want.

Shanthan, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  8. neolancing

neolancing Peon

Best Answers:
    When I made my first website i did it with word press. Its fantastic it allows u to have different themes,plugins and its very user friendly as well.Its make things very easy

neolancing, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  9. Eathelin

Eathelin Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use WordPress framework to develop your website. As it is very easy and flexible CMS, and comes with number of plugins so we can easily create what we want. I am also using Wordpress for many of my websites. It can also help in getting more visitors and traffic as it is an SEO Friendly CMS.

Eathelin, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  10. Web Outsourcing Gateway

Web Outsourcing Gateway Member

Best Answers:
    You can use WordPress to develop your first website. With it's different advantages you will not have a hard time focusing on what you really need. Learn the basics first, and when you want to improve something for your website it will be easier for you to manage it. Many websites also use WordPress for many reasons, it's very useful.

Web Outsourcing Gateway, Jun 24, 2013 IP
  11. rashida

rashida Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, You can go with Wordpress which is the best open source CMS.

rashida, Jun 24, 2013 IP
  12. John Michael

John Michael Member

Best Answers:
    If you have some knowledge about wordpress then you must use wordpress for website. Wordpress is the best content management system . Wordpress have all of the above things you need. There are a lot of wordpress plugins that help you in your website. There of many wordpress plugins in free.

John Michael, Jan 20, 2014 IP