1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Catastrophic Cluster Failure

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2013.

1. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:

So how much exactly did this "privilege membership" cost you then?? as far as i'm aware established status is free...still too expensive for some people obviously, you will just have to go back and be *helpful* again.
    Good luck with your helpdesk request, i imagine it wall fall on deaf ears.

malky66, Jun 4, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and Devtard like this.
  2. rahuldas14

rahuldas14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes its free or you can buy it from digitalpoint itself for some $125 per yr.
    I dont mind being helpful. But I am not sure when I ll get that 'like' again. I have invested some good amount of sum, and now this incident will hit that investment badly. I use DP as the sole platform to sell my services, as I get enough from here.
    I hope you understand that I am set to lose a lot. :(

rahuldas14, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest you probably shouldn't rely on what is essentialy a "free to use" forum as the basis of your business, that's the road to disaster really.
    If your business relies on dp you should perhaps invest in Premium membership, it's like giving something back..
    I do sympathise with everyone that lost something through all this but shit happens, we just gotta get on with it.

malky66, Jun 4, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I'm only on here to sell Shawn a chair so I might be OK yet then...

Revelations-Decoder, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, would you describe moving to NDBCluster as being a total cluster-****?

Generally speaking I have a distrust of distributed computing on databases, unless you've got a massive budget (I'm talking hundreds of thousands) and moving to classical big-iron style database systems (Oracle) I've rarely if ever seen anything like that be anything but a steaming pile of failure. To me it's not a rational development choice and strikes me as just another way to sweep deeper rooted issues under the rug.

Like wasting megabytes and hundreds of connects on every pageload. :p

deathshadow, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    NDBCluster was worth the move. The move to NDBCluster had nothing to do with backend performance issues (the old DB server setup was nowhere remotely close to being overloaded). In fact, I'm piping everything through a single API node at the moment, and this is how many queries are going on right now...

+---------+-------------+-----------+------+---------+------+-----------------------------------+-----------------------+
    | Id      | User        | Host      | db   | Command | Time | State                             | Info                  |
    +---------+-------------+-----------+------+---------+------+-----------------------------------+-----------------------+
    |       1 | system user |           |      | Daemon  |    0 | Waiting for event from ndbcluster | NULL                  |
    | 2214061 | root        | localhost | NULL | Query   |    0 | NULL                              | show full processlist |
    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    Code (markup):
    Zero... and in reality, it's doing about 5,000 queries per second... they just run too fast to actually catch one happening usually. In fact, if you have poorly running queries, they are actually exponentially worse on NDBCluster. It will fall over in a second if you have crap like table scans or poor queries going on.

The move to cluster was more about not having a single point of failure going forward (master DB server for example) and being able to scale out writes (master/slave lets you scale out reads only). Write scaling is needed for some non-forum related things.

Either way, now we can do hot backups while the database is in-use, we can handle millions of queries per second, we can upgrade the database servers and do maintenance without taking anything down for the end users.

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2013 IP
    submit_articles and ryan_uk like this.
  7. HostPlanz

HostPlanz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DP's head critic has arrived. Everyone, put your flame suits on.

HostPlanz, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I was reading some "SEO news" on my way back from a business trip and saw a link to DP about this. Not what I expected (by the title), more like good news in a way. I mean, you finally got everything migrated and set up as you wanted (on the backend), so that's good. It sucks you had such a headache, though.

Poor mods, though, as all those spamtards, etc, will need to work extra hard to get their bans and infractions back. :D

Glad DP's still around and many thanks.

ryan_uk, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  9. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My 9 infractions i got are now wiped yay ;) only kidding . Unlucky Shawn had a close shave myself last year and nearly lost everything, felt like my head was going to explode. Glad your all sorted though and no one's giving you too much of a hard time.

Rivmedia, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  10. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like an Irish leprechaun figurine :)

Revelations-Decoder, Jun 4, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva and Rivmedia like this.
  11. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hehe, I guess that worked. I went through the entire thread as of this post, and I've yet to find one rant other than issues involving payment for something.

At any rate, you did what you could. It could've been worse.

Dave Zan, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That makes sense -- and those are the sane reasons for choosing said tech.

You mentioned the previous version being mix and match -- that's usually many times worse; if you're going to dive into a tech like that, it's best to go high hog or not at all.

... and porting across 'tech is always filled with Peril -- and I've had backups not exist that should, or corrupted due to long standing issues a live copy of the site that don't show up anywhere EXCEPT in the backup. It seems to be the norm for the database systems behind most websites. It happens.

Usually any forum like this that's this well established? You could botch it so bad you lose everything, and it would recover in a month or two -- don't sweat it too much; at least so far as the forums are concerned.

deathshadow, Jun 4, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  13. Chronotrigga

Chronotrigga Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, that explains it! I was confused as to why my alerts were dated back to 2008. I was pretty confused haha I honestly thought my computer was having problems but at least the forum is back up! I managed to finally get my third like to get sufficient privileges a few days ago.. but guess that's something I'll have to deal with. Best of luck DP hopefully forums are stable now.

Chronotrigga, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  14. HostPlanz

HostPlanz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forum was just down for about half of an hour again

HostPlanz, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  15. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I though it was stable already, but yeah, early this morning I began to get again those well-known already 504 nginx error messages after trying to load a page.

However this issue wasn't long-lasting this time, probably still part of the huge job in progress during the past days.

Mystique, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  16. Comcities

Comcities Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad the website is back. I wonder how much big is the database. Jeez!

Comcities, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Okay... I manually went through each and every PayPal transaction in the time period and all users that didn't send me a message should have premium applied properly now.

digitalpoint, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  18. MasterwebX

MasterwebX Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can understand this point of view. I'm quiet a newbie but I'm short before to get the privileges to post in the Marketplace. Its not easy to get these points (because people not like to give) and I don;t understand why a system like this is needful. I'm a member in 100 foren and this is the first I see like this.

We are not children. We are hard working business people and postings, answers and all that costs time...and time is money!

If a forum crashed and the owner of that has no backup for 1 month...it would be a nice and noble deed to give so a little bit back to members they lost some.

But thats only my thoughts...as a owner of many forums and websites :)

MasterwebX, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  19. autospa

autospa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rumors are there that after LR, DP is also shut down and the owner arrested :p

autospa, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Clearly... I mean if you come to a site to post that the site has been shutdown, it must be true, right? haha

digitalpoint, Jun 5, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and ryan_uk like this.