1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to add sitemaps to google webmasters with password protected sitemap folder

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by rajalakshmip, May 15, 2013.

All,

I have a sitemaps folder and I just want to password protect the sitemaps folder for others to leach and I need to add the sitemaps to google and bing.

Is there a way to do it?

rajalakshmip, May 15, 2013 IP
  2. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't tell you the exact code but you can add to your .htaccess file a deny to all bar Goggle and Bing Bot regarding the folder, should be able to search for the correct code syntax.

GregWR, May 15, 2013 IP
  3. rajalakshmip

rajalakshmip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I want to password protect the sitemaps so that others cannot reach the files manually than the search engines alone.. How to do it?

rajalakshmip, May 15, 2013 IP
  4. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I have no idea how to password protect but the above method would essentially do the same thing, only Bing & Google could access it.

GregWR, May 15, 2013 IP
  5. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a quick note: Preventing scrapers/crawlers from reading your sitemap.xml file will help little. Most crawlers will crawl websites without reading XML sitemap files. (But okay, it depends on what and why you are trying to protect. In some special cases, it may make sense to try limit access to your sitemap.xml to only Google/Bing search engine spider bot IP addresses.)

websitetools, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  6. markwill

markwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you do so, i have seen some brands displaying blank page or redirecting to any other page when sitemap is accessed but not password prected

markwill, Jun 19, 2013 IP