1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much would you charge someone for an average Wordpress made website?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by mqs1000, May 7, 2013.

I have some people who want me to make their websites for them. I'm trying to determine how much to charge them. After doing some research, I see a wide array of different answers and amounts.

So my question is how much would YOU personally charge someone for you to make a website for them using a Wordpress theme for either their self or their business. Something like this:

www.lovesaltlake.com/

or this

www.drsunter.com/

mqs1000, May 7, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you say "using a WordPress theme" what do you mean exactly?

EG are you going to design it or are you going to resell a pre made theme?

This will perhaps help for answers

Revelations-Decoder, May 7, 2013 IP
  3. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    $20

Abh, May 7, 2013 IP
  4. freelancewebaz

freelancewebaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in the US and have been working with Wordpress for 7 years now. To do a custom theme similar to http://www.lovesaltlake.com/ I would probably charge $500.

freelancewebaz, May 7, 2013 IP
  5. jeanlance

jeanlance Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its been a while since i am active on the forum anyway

I would charge around 450 to 500 or even 600 depends on client budget if i have to go low on price i wll be working around $350 mark

Thanks
    Neo

jeanlance, May 8, 2013 IP
  6. jeanlance

jeanlance Active Member

Best Answers:
    $20 for doing the whole site in wordpress bro ? serious ?

jeanlance, May 8, 2013 IP
  7. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Install Wordpress + install a theme and some plugins + copy/paste some articles = 30 minutes work

Abh, May 8, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  8. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Completely not what OP asked.

And easy install WP, add theme and copy and paste some articles.:oops: Jeez good luck with that...

Revelations-Decoder, May 8, 2013 IP
  9. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    "average Wordpress"
    "make a website for them using a Wordpress theme"
    =
    "Completely not what OP asked."?

How come, mister Decoder? What did OP ask, please enlighten the masses.

Abh, May 8, 2013 IP
  10. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

The clue is in what the OP asked >

Make being the word you seemed to have comepletely bypassed or missed and that makes your answer of $20 laughable.

Revelations-Decoder, May 8, 2013 IP
  11. cadsii

cadsii Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $20 for a site ? I got some business for you my friend... lol

If you designing and coding a site like http://www.lovesaltlake.com/ and this is a new design with precompiled content, i would quote at least $2k, not fucking $20 thats a joke.

I would love to see you,

- setup hosting
    - install wordpress
    - configure wordpress
    - add all content for posts
    - set all featured images for posts
    - add all categories
    - setup all menus
    - setup logos
    - setup meta descriptions
    - setup social media interaction
    - setup contract forms

in 30 minutes... people like you are the reason WP developers are getting underpaid. You give us a bad name but running on the shortcuts of pumping out shitty '30 minute' sites

Experienced WP Developer

cadsii, May 8, 2013 IP
  12. JasonLP

JasonLP Member

Best Answers:
    $500+ absolute minimum for even a simple theme or I wouldn't even consider it. I know what I'm worth and it's more than chump change. You people doing it for $20 are insane.

JasonLP, May 8, 2013 IP
  13. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Even to just install WP, use a premade theme make adjustments. Set up and configure the back end, menus, first couple of pages, set up meta and other SEO stuff with also the addition of a number of selected plugins, set up contact forms and just to do the basics properly with care and consideration in the hope of repeat business we should be talking a minimum (from) £150 just for the basics with no "making of a theme".

Without logo design. We start to up pricing for logos, that's what the contest forum is for if perhaps :) (well for those of us who don't do images:)).

And I say £150 as the minimum start point just as a way to advertise cheap services. Anyone setting up a WP site for $20 is not taking any care, nor thinking of future business of any use merely so more of the slap dash service already provided if a person dared turned back to them to provide.

Someone providing $20 is like employing your neighbours friend to fix your car just because they know how to change the oil and spark plugs.

Now I say this is a minimum EG £150 as a start point to adding more work/service and providing more. £300 plus and the scope is huge from there up.

Even advertising at £150 is real cheap to do a WP set up properly IMHO and that is without a unique theme..

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, May 9, 2013 IP
  14. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, guys, do you really believe what you're saying?

I'm not a web designer, i don't compete with you. I do however have around 30 websites on wordpress and i've installed many many more in my life. I like to install my websites manually, meaning i copy the script by ftp. I keep a wordpress script with all the plugins i usually use and some standard themes, and i upload that one every time, then upgrade everything once installed. But this is the hard way. Most webhosts have Softaculous and you can install Wordpress with two clicks without having to connect to ftp, modify settings and build databases. So you can actually install wordpress in two minutes. How can you ask £150 for something like this?
    Who's trying to bullshit who?

What the OP gave there were only some examples he found on google, i'm sure he has no idea what script they're on or what theme they have. I'm also pretty sure he's no coder and no designer, else he wouldn't have asked such a broad question.
    He can ask whatever he wants for a 30 minutes work, the end result may look like a £500 website for what i care, but the work involved can be done for $20.
    He also stated "how much would YOU personally charge" and since i can do the job in 30 minutes, $20 is enough for me, that's $320 in an 8 hours days work, on paper.

I admit my initial mistake of just throwing a sum, $20, without explanation.
    For example, i buy SEO services, right? I pay $100 for a link wheel. The provider has experience, software, sources. Maybe he finishes the job in one hour. But if someone would come to me and ask for a link wheel, there's no way i could ask that low since i would have to work five times harder to achieve one.
    This applies to what were's talking here also. If you need 5 hours to build a basic wordpress site i can understand why you would charge more. That doesn't mean my price is wrong in any way.

Abh, May 9, 2013 IP
  15. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

You carry on with your $20 WP thing if you can do it all right in half hour then and your $100 link wheel then :) if you think that is SEO...

Revelations-Decoder, May 9, 2013 IP
  16. Krisism

Krisism Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mqs,

That's a great question I'm sure we've all been faced with at one point. How do we value our own time?

What I have found works for me is to use a simple hourly rate ($50/hr). Typically, I've found it takes me around 3-4 hours to help someone install a theme and do a few basic customizations (this includes communications). The amount of variation in customizations is why I now use an hourly rate instead of a fixed one.

You have a few considerations in my opinion when determining pricing:
    - Is this a one off, or would you like to continue working with them in some capacity?
    - What is your skillset and how confident are you? Obviously more experienced, more knowledge, more efficient, more money.
    - How variable is the service your offering? (I've found a high variation in needs for web development).
    - How much do you work in a week/month? (Gotta get those bills payed!)

Part of my personal strategy is to deliver them an incredible first experience that is cost-effective and done in less time than they expected. As a result, over 95% of people I work with come back within one month for more tasks, big or small. I find by working this way I can easily adapt when different clients need more or less customization, and I am always motivated and compensated well with every minute worked.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just to note, I also expense them for the cost of the theme (and work with them to find a great one for their needs). If they need a custom design, that is completely different and I wouldn't touch it for under $2k. Custom designed ones I use the Roots framework (awesome, check it out if you are designing WP from scratch) :)

Krisism, May 9, 2013 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  17. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I charge $400-$800 (depending on page numbers) to drop content into a third party theme and play around with page layout, theme tweaks, basic copywriting, throw in some hosting, domain/DNS setup etc.
    To create a custom WP theme from scratch, prices *start* at $1500 - which is barely worth it for me. I try and nudge new clients towards the idea of selecting a pre existing WP theme.

Kerosene, May 9, 2013 IP
  18. cadsii

cadsii Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    show me some of these 30 sites perhaps ?

you install the site, add your customer branding/meta, setup navigation, setup contract forms, verify with multiple search engines all in 30 min ? doubt it

You can tell when a site has been pushed out in 30 min, nothing is done, except for installing theme + plugin

setting up a website for success != installing wordpress with a few plugins

Do it right and your website will succeed, rush it, and you'll be buying $100 SEO wheels..

My sites have been featured on CNetTV, Gizmodo, Lifehacker etc....

Show me your sites

cadsii, May 9, 2013 IP
  19. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I make enough money with my "what i think that is SEO" - thanks Decoder, and without being featured on CNetTV, Gizmodo, Lifehacker etc.

I really have no intention of competing and comparing our websites to see who's better. The question was very simple, how much would you charge for an average Wordpress, not how well you can build one, how much money you'll make with it, or what SEO you use. Maybe you can tell when a site has been pushed out in 30 min because you're a self righteous asshole and you like to look for flaws. But the client won't, because he'll be getting a fully functional website with a nice theme. And that's all he asked for.

I've been doing SEO for a long time and what techniques i use i only use because they work for my type of websites. Do you know how i'm sure they work? Because my websites make money.

You guys should just grow up already. I didn't even say i use link wheels, i only gave an example and you jumped me. Get a life already.

Abh, May 10, 2013 IP
    mytechiestuff likes this.
  20. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    well abh everybody wants to have something for nothing. So you cant judge them too harshly I think

thesickearth, May 10, 2013 IP
    mytechiestuff likes this.