1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you charge for "Web Design"?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Klikkit, May 7, 2013.

What do you Guys & Girls charge for web design?

Including:

Wordpress
    E-Commerce
    Portfolios

Basically any type of website, what do you guys usually charge for them? and where are you based? US/UK?

Klikkit, May 7, 2013 IP
  2. BusinessSpy

BusinessSpy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is question with no answer. Make your own prices, maybe you're going to work better than others ;)

BusinessSpy, May 7, 2013 IP
  3. mikehussy

mikehussy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it's depends on your requirement.

mikehussy, May 7, 2013 IP
  4. mikehussy

mikehussy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it's depends on your requirement.

mikehussy, May 7, 2013 IP
  5. Klikkit

Klikkit Member

Best Answers:

I already have my own prices, I was wondering what other people charge, if they are in the same bracket and whatnot

Klikkit, May 7, 2013 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so then, what do you charge?

matt_62, May 7, 2013 IP
  7. BusinessSpy

Best Answers:
    He wants to hear our prices, but his prices are invisible :)

8. Zee Design

Zee Design Member

Best Answers:
    Always depend on client requirements. If PSD Design + PSD to HTML then I will charge 100-200$ for 5 pages. 100$ more for wordpress integration.

Zee Design, May 7, 2013 IP
  9. rafijaan

rafijaan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends on your work done, It depends on customer requirements, functionality etc,
    ex: If simple HTML website you can change some, but the same can't be charged for flash website's create a price table according to the customer requirements,

building a website

rafijaan, May 7, 2013 IP
  10. DigitalCows

DigitalCows Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the project at hand. If you have a hard time deciding how much your service would cost, just estimate how long will it take you to finish the project and multiply it by your rate by hour. Then take more or less from it.

DigitalCows, May 7, 2013 IP
  11. ronrule

ronrule Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    $4k for WordPress, $8k and up for eCommerce or custom.

Don't charge for your "time", charge for your knowledge.

ronrule, May 7, 2013 IP
  12. BusinessSpy

Best Answers:
    This is the smartest answer in this thread. You can't charge your time if you're noob, charge your knowledge and how much you invested "yourself" in that project.

13. Klikkit

Klikkit Member

Best Answers:

My prices aren't 'invisible' I quote my customers, I don't know of any successful local design companies that outright display their prices on their website.

Also, charging $4k for WordPress and $8k+ for E-Commerce isn't viable when you're surrounded by local competition doing it for £500/£1000 respectively..

Klikkit, May 7, 2013 IP
  14. EdenEvoX

EdenEvoX Active Member

Best Answers:
    I charge for both my time and knowledge. Making sure that I under cut all my local competitors, as a result of this I have landed loads of jobs because my clients are happy with my designs and they get them at a fair/cheap price. I usually sell a PSD for £200-£500 depending on how many pages and the time it has taken.

EdenEvoX, May 7, 2013 IP
  15. ronrule

ronrule Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

Sure you can, we have the same competition here. Real businesses who understand the web and consumer engagement will never hire a designer priced that low. The cheap guys can have as much of the low-grade businesses as they want, I only want to work with companies who are serious about their sites and have a real budget. And the reality is, there are a lot more of those than people who want $500 websites.

ronrule, May 7, 2013 IP
  16. Klikkit

Klikkit Member

Best Answers:

I think maybe the US Web Design market differs greatly from our UK market, it's not as easy to pull the wool over the eyes of potential customers here, many companies will look around at what fellow companies charge before thinking to part with even £400-800.

Fact is, over here, the premium (TV Advertised) web design companies whose designs and professional approaches are unrivaled, don't even charge anywhere near £4000

Klikkit, May 7, 2013 IP
  17. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Are you referring to the likes of 1and1 Klikkit?

Have you seen/heard the GoDaddy ads on radio here in the uK?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, May 7, 2013 IP
  18. ronrule

ronrule Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The majority of the companies we work with are companies that already have a website - usually a cheap one like you describe - and it isn't working for them.

So I find it interesting that you would refer to offering a quality design with a consumer engagement focus as "pulling the wool over the eyes of potential customers". I say those companies that are out there pushing $500 - $1000 websites are the ones that are pulling the wool over their customers' eyes. They're offering template-based designs with no regard for turning visitors into buyers. They use certain phrases in their pitches, about having a website that will be seen by millions, getting new leads/customers, etc. but those low-grade templates won't do either. Even if their sites are visually appealing, a good looking website isn't enough. And the smart customers know it.

Elevate yourself above your low-grade or bulk-rate competition and you're likely to get the same results.

ronrule, May 7, 2013 IP
  19. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I went for an interview at a professional web design agency in Australia. Nearly fell out of my chair when they told me their cheapest site was $15k aud (aud is worth more then USD, i dont know what it is compared to your currency though). Each site they build uses a CMS where its approx $5k per license per site. I thought that was a total rip off when there are competitors that build nice sites for $500-$1000 range. But as soon as you see those sites, you completely understand that the price tag is justified.

In order for me to build up a portfolio though, either to start a business or to work for a high profile company, I will most likely build sites completely for free for local businesses. I actually have a high paying job guaranteed provided I learn and master a specific cms. Best way to do this is to start building sites, but of course this means that I will be for a while earning less then people on fiverr.....

matt_62, May 7, 2013 IP
  20. B_Hermelijn

B_Hermelijn Member

Best Answers:
    I assume, that this may be a matter of what knowledge you're able to offer. But I will quote what ronrule said "Don't charge for your "time", charge for your knowledge".

B_Hermelijn, May 7, 2013 IP