1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to start? Web Design.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Fred Garcia, May 6, 2013.

Hi DP,

Specifically for programming...
    Hoping to get some beneficial feedback without getting a beating for being such a newb.

I want to create a website that requires a login, can manage client information (name, address, phone etc), client finances (accounting), and manage photos/video.

Are there any particular languages I should gravitate towards for front end? Server side? Database?

What are the benefits of those languages vs their rival competition?

Anxious to see what the DP community has to say.

Thanks,

Freddie

Fred Garcia, May 6, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Any of the big frameworks can handle that kind of thing - research symfony, cakephp

The big question is why you want to recreate the wheel. Xero and MYOB do exactly that. SugarCRM probably has a finance module and I'm sure there are others.

If you are storing financial info your bigger concerns are security rather than the basic elements of authorisation and file management. How are you going to stay ahead of the game to avoid sql injections, hacking attempts etc. If you don't have the skills it may be another good reason to go with a preexisting system where for a nominal amount you avoid the hassles and risk of system design, development, testing and maintenance (not as much fun tho)

sarahk, May 6, 2013 IP
  3. viruthagiri

viruthagiri Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello freddie,

If you are an absolute beginner then start with http://www.w3schools.com/

Learn the following.

HTML - You can learn the basic in 1 day
    CSS - You can learn css basic too in 1 day.
    JS - Optional
    PHP - You may need few days to learn the basic

In my opinion the website you are going to code will be very simple, if you are going to use wordpress.. WordPress has all the functionality.

For example you can create a register form with less php code

<?php wp_create_user( $username, $password, $email ); ?>
    PHP:
    All you have to do is get the form data and pass them via this function.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_create_user

So go ahead, learn WordPress. Start here

http://codex.wordpress.org/

viruthagiri, May 6, 2013 IP
  4. wren11

wren11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest learning PHP and mysql database, PHP is a pretty easy script language to pick up and there are plenty of tutorials, just search google. For the front end I'd suggest something easy and light such as twitter bootstrap. Learning the basics of these will only push you forward and expand your creativity. Using already made scripts won't teach you much in the long run and because posted this in a programming section I'm to assume you want to create and learn as you go, So those are my suggestions!

here are some references:
    PHP - http://www.w3schools.com/php/
    SQL - http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

wren11, May 6, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I beg to differ on that one. Over the years I've used web based and non web systems and in all of them I've needed to delve into the source code to understand how to achieve my goals. In doing so I've learnt about structure (long before MVC was a buzzword), best practice, and different coding styles. Just learning the language doesn't teach you how to write good code - and good snippets of code don't necessarily lead to good systems. Personally I think picking a system and learning how to really make it work will teach you lots - and you will develop a complete system much more quickly than if you are having to recreate the wheel writing a decent database class etc.

sarahk, May 6, 2013 IP
  6. Fred Garcia

Fred Garcia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips and pointers everyone! Ultimately, I would like to create this "program" as "OEM" if you will. I would then brand it per client. I know. Pipe dreams. But, still. I gotta give it a shot right?

I haven't looked it up, but would WordPress allow for something like that? Make a program to then use for business purposes and branding?

Thanks,
    Freddie

Fred Garcia, May 7, 2013 IP
  7. annaharris

annaharris Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is it also helpful for Asp.Net developers ? Does it accept Asp.Net applications ?

annaharris, May 8, 2013 IP
  8. camjohnson95

camjohnson95 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Realistically, if you have no programming experience at all then it could take years to build the skills necessary to develop a website as you have specified (from scratch). Although this may seem daunting it will be well worth the time and effort. The possibilities are endless once you have the ability to build yourself any idea that you come up with.

Whatever you choose to learn for your server-side development (I use .NET, which also gives you the ability to easily adapt to the development of windows applications), you also need to learn your client-side development. Which has three main components: HTML, CSS and Javascript.

So you will need to learn 4 languages in total:
    -HTML
    -CSS
    -Javascript (I consider this less important then the others, you can go without it or find scripts to download in most cases)
    -VB, C# or PHP

You will also have to learn some basic SQL for your database queries but that is easy enough if you can get through the rest.

camjohnson95, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  9. StrayGun

StrayGun Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This one is for those who are hoping to take their first steps into web design. This 70 minute Plus video tutorial will assume that you have zero knowledge of CSS. Over the course of the screencast, you’ll learn about the basic syntax, a plethora of different properties, and how to create the beginnings of your very first website. You can check it here http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/css-the-very-first-steps-new-plus-tutorial/

StrayGun, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  10. RickyWh1

RickyWh1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest learning HTML, CSS and PHP from w3schools.com and then signing up for Hostmonster or HostGator and installing a wordpress blog. Once you install your wordpress blog you can use this video tutorial for creating a wordpress theme from scratch. Best part of it all is that now that you know HTML and CSS you can create a website that w3c validates.

RickyWh1, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  11. RickyWh1

RickyWh1 Peon

Best Answers:

RickyWh1, Jun 23, 2013 IP