1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How would you spent $1000 to market a new directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Nima, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Stoner is a indeed a seasoned and knowledgeable member in directory market. How is this post related to the thread "How to spend a $1000 on promoting a new directory" though?

Nima, May 1, 2013 IP
  2. yousafzai99

yousafzai99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Mia read all the reply's you will find.. .

yousafzai99, May 1, 2013 IP
  3. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Back to topic for me I have advertised in directorycritic and vmoptions for about $200US and have gained my cash back + more within a couple of months in advertising, so if I had $1000 I guess I would advertise in more places like that as I am convinced you can make money that way, just have to choose the right directories of directories to be listed in, where you will gain the most traffic.​

Nicholas Pope, May 1, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  4. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thanks. When did you advertise on DirectoryCritic?

Since my site is legal related, I'm starting to also think it might not be bad idea to focus my advertising on individual attorneys instead of SEO companies (ex. Facebook, LinkedIn advertising).

Nima, May 1, 2013 IP
  5. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I advertised last year about about June I think so my featured listing will end June this month and I think I tripled that $200 over the year so I will advertise there again and also another one, but I am new to this but over the last year I have learned a couple of things and will be implementing them before I advertise again which I think I could gain alot more traffic as well as returning traffic.

I do have an idea for you that could work for what you want to do, because you are from the US I assume you would have herd of the BBB, you could do somthing similar to that with your listing and ask your listed members to display a badge, something like "Legal Global Sponsored Attorneys" That was just a complete stab in the dark but I am sure you will understand where I was going. So to start you would pay attorneys to display the badge linking to their profile page on your website so people can leave comments or read previous comments and after a while I am sure other attorneys would just display your badge thinking the other guys are displaying it for free just to show credibility. Hope this makes sense, just an idea for you.

Nicholas Pope, May 1, 2013 IP
  6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

The badge idea is good. A website needs to be much more trustworthy (and online for some time) for others to put its badge on their own website. That being said I am in process of getting BBB for my business (and hence on the Legal Global directory).

Back to the topic, I think I'm going to spend some of the first $1000 of marketing dollars on hiring a directory editor to add at least one or two listings to each page. I'll also spend some of it on getting listings in other reputable directories. This should take two to three months and by then I'll put a larger marketing plan together.

Legal Global will serve as a reminder that well developed and maintained directories are still rather in need and profitable.

Nima, May 1, 2013 IP
    stoner3221 and Nicholas Pope like this.
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nima, that sounds like good advice for everyone. The directories I see getting traffic are the ones building a unique resource, not that ones that are almost 100% dependent on their submit page for money.

dvduval, May 3, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  8. ktp2012

ktp2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is better to buy domain which has pr 8 or 9 and make a site directory and ads $ 1000 on google, it will be ok

ktp2012, May 3, 2013 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

It is not often you can buy a PR 8 or 9 site, and if you could, it would be over $1000.

dvduval, May 4, 2013 IP
  10. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And a lot of the high PR websites are getting that from the previous website on that domain. A web directory with a true PR8 or 9 that's been around and earned its ranking would cost well into 6 figures.

Nima, May 4, 2013 IP
  11. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow some horrible advice given in this thread. That there is a "directory of directory" owner saying directories are dead and to save your money, astounds me! Their ignorant, negative, inexperience shouldn't deter you. Ignore people like that and whatever they are running. They are in it for their own ends and couldn't care less about the resources they list.

Stoner always garners respect because he speaks from experience, knowledge and a lot of time spent making it in this industry. In this thread he is absolutely correct. If you want to play with the big boys, and offer a real branded international directory, then you probably aren't going to get anywhere without that $10k spend. At least.

However, in the case of niches I disagree, they can exist on less and can certainly market on less, because they have a very niche audience.

@Nima. I am willing to give you FREE exposure on Info Vilesilencer (for the remainder of the year) as a result of the poor advice you've been given by everyone else on this thread. Give me your details and I will give you a prime position review (it's rel=nofollow because its advertising) on Info Vilesilencer, for your directory. No charge. To show you that we aren't all idiots out for our own gain.

I've seen the work you've done with previous directories you have owned, and I am always here for real directory owners.

No money. No catch. Just msg me, it is the least I can do... :)

silencer, May 5, 2013 IP
    Nima and Nicholas Pope like this.
  12. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thanks Silencer. I'm definitely ignoring a lot of the comments on this thread and taking notes from only a select few of them. I very much agree that good directories are still needed and can be (very) profitable. They just require more work than before which is good thing because it weeds out all those who don't wanna put the work.

I agree that to make Legal Global a well known international legal directory I will need to spend a lot more than $1000. This will be just the beginning. Like I said earlier, I'm going to spend this money on getting a number of directory listings and a directory editor to add listings to most categories on the website first. Then I'll start more serious brand building and promotions (with a larger budget).

Thanks for the offer too. I'll send you a message right away

Nima, May 5, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  13. ktp2012

ktp2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is good idea that you begin to make directory site, I want to try, but my big problem, I am not native English so I can not write or understand English well . Can anybody help me?

ktp2012, May 7, 2013 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then why not make a directory in your own language? Who says all directories have to be in English?

But, if you want advice, you should really start your own thread.

YMC, May 7, 2013 IP
  15. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Someone that cant read and fully understand the English language will probably just approve any and all spam.

tornado!, May 7, 2013 IP
  16. ktp2012

ktp2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right that I will try in Indonesian, so it is not many competition, so thank you for your advice. I can check article very well

ktp2012, May 7, 2013 IP
  17. lesa mitchell

lesa mitchell Member

Best Answers:
    I would go for manual submissions, work on social media sites and other effective techniques in optimize my directory.

lesa mitchell, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  18. MasterwebX

MasterwebX Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely NO! But I would setup a directory (and I did some) a marketing it the old fashioned way. Tooks some time, but cost nothing :) just a bit time and a domain.

MasterwebX, Jun 5, 2013 IP