1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Meaningless posts

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Devtard, Apr 26, 2013.

There are many members (or spammers, posthunters or whatever you want to call them) who just post rubbish (like this guy). Of course I wouldn't care if they didn't show up in threads that I am subscribed to - but they often do, that's why I made myself write this post.

These people are probably not breaking any rules but they are creating unnecessary information overload and turning intelligent discussions into shit. Reporting such posts will probably have no consequences (or the mentioned person would have been already banned or at least warned and his posts deleted), so what should we do about them?

These are my suggestions:
    a) add ability to hide posts with XY thumbs down or spam reports (like on Youtube)
    b) give infractions for posting useless crap (and restrict access temporarily)
    c) apply the "3 likes rule" for posting in some sub-forums, e.g. General chat
    d) add ability to give negative reputation points ("dislikes")

What do you think about this? What is your suggestion to solve this problem?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Devtard, Apr 26, 2013 IP
    anzilone and ryan_uk like this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Meaningless posts/spam is something that every site has to deal with and DP is no exception. While I don't encourage the idea of individual members being highlighted, I do however think threads like this are helpful.
    Members can be prompted to make better quality posts. I believe that some members don't even realize the're spamming until they are told they are.

On the positive side I have seen many instances here on DP where newbies have made improvements if they are encouraged. I believe this works better than the alternative. (beating them up) But making fun of them from time to time is a hoot though right?;)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

I was going to agree with you but all his posts are in Gen Chat and his posts are in threads full of other useless posts. It is all useless crap, but his was no worse than anyone else. And, at least he is not the one starting the useless threads like:

What speed you like to drive ?
    Anyone here like walking?

I try to avoid Gen Chat because I found the idiocy level way too high for anything but the occasional, random visit.

browntwn, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  4. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like this idea and when it come into reality, I believe user will avoid making useless posts. However, it would not going to work for a someone whom didn't care about getting so many thumbs down. It maybe wouldn't stop a someone from doing useless post but it will help the thread keep clean as the post was hidden. So, there should be a consequence for doing it (maybe warning? We need to hear opinion from Mods).

I believe it should be included in the section above (A), and only happen if member keep posting useless posts.

Limiting member to visit thread based on 'like' they had probably good idea as I think member with three or more 'likes' usually understand what bring value to forum and what make it invaluable. (I know, member like me would just going to dream and ask "what down there, there must be something useful in that place":D)

I don't know it will make the forum better or not. I have seen local forum doing it and there are frustration everywhere because others members always give (random) 'dislike' for members (whenever they don't like it).

Well, that's my opinion. I know, as a member with low likes, I should be really careful when joining and commenting in the thread.

I have learn many things in DP. Most of the lessons are about how to distinguish between good and bad threads/comments (an established member help me, Thank to him for teaching me on how to make this forum better). Few of my posts were created before I understand how to be a part with this forum and maybe they have less value. The longer I'm here in DP, the more i understand what bring value and what isn't.

Arick.
    (just regular new member)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Arick unirow, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  5. nhed

nhed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ignore.

I think those people are either dumb or people that are trying to make ends meet thinking they are giving their 101%. I would either ignore or I would be LMAO for that BS.

nhed, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Either of those would be good. I guess I prefer d). :) Although it would probably mean more focus on flooding another section with crap with the 3 likes rule was applied.

As Spoiltdiva mentioned, it's part of any forum. Sometimes it provides amusement, but you're right it can get very annoying when it's a page of moronic crap. Like one of the mods posted (when closing a thread) it can be like binary. (I think it was the "which do you prefer - Pepsi or Coke" thread).

ryan_uk, Apr 27, 2013 IP
  7. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You cannot ignore such people because there are just too many of them (and their numbers are increasing every day).

Devtard, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  8. angel.bluenus

angel.bluenus Member

Best Answers:
    You can ignore them.

angel.bluenus, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Your post clearly shows that you have missed the whole point of this thread. This thread is about *meaningless* posts. It is posts like yours that the OP is writing about.
    If you wish to give an opinion and add to the debate, then do it. But we don't need a 4 word comment that a 5 year old could have written...........get it now?;)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 29, 2013 IP
    Devtard likes this.
  10. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe there is yet one more way to handle this problem:
    e) change CAPTCHAs to random logical puzzles (and display them to people who infest the forum with posts like "Thats a really good info thanx bro")*

*... and create a special sub-forum where unsuccessful puzzle solvers can cry for our amusement

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    Devtard, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  11. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    I would say it is better option than the rest. Messing with PHP and other scripts have been tough job for webmaster but sending the capthcas for selected members (whom writes short sentences or identified/reported/low reputation members) is good idea.

Solving puzzles to write in forum is a nice option. I remember my professor used to say "Whenever all techniques fail, use puzzles to stimulate their brain".:D

ARICK.

Arick unirow, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  12. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Something like this would suffice just fine. :p

[​IMG]

(My personal nightmare from mathematical analysis)

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Devtard, May 1, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and Smyrl like this.
  13. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    The best solution ever. I like it very much.
    Use it and suddenly DP will be quiet. :p
    Complex Maths has been a nightmare for me, and maybe for other too. :D

Arick unirow, May 1, 2013 IP
  14. krishnaverma

krishnaverma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I
    I do not agree to the second opinion. In my opinion, the usefulness of a reply does not depend on its length.
    Reference: If you are still not convinced, check the replies made by owner of this forum.

krishnaverma, May 3, 2013 IP
  15. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    Apology for jump in into the conversation. I know your comment was specially referred to Spoiltdiva.

In my opinion, It is not only about Long or Short sentences. I believe SpoiltDiva said the comment wasn't useful because it has no much value for the conversation/thread. If the member explain it with more reasons, it will make sense.

Each person has different taste of 'useful comment'. For some people, they may think writing one or two sentences are enough. For the others, even two paragraphs were not enough. Sometimes, if

As for me, I have no problem with short comment. What I really don't like is a comment which make a thread/discussion into negative. I cannot imagine someone write ten paragraphs but have no relation with the topic. The worst, short sentence which has no value to conversation. So what really matters is the content on the comment.

Arick.

Edit:
    1. Basically I'm thinking if a comment didn't get response, I always talk to myself "I have to learn more on how to express my opinion":)
    2. I'm forget to say if short comment can be useful in few cases. It doesn't matter whether it is short or long comments. The most important thing is, always write the right comment in the right time and at the right thread.:D

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Arick unirow, May 3, 2013 IP
  16. krishnaverma

krishnaverma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I said to check the replies made by the owner of this forum, I was referring to the profile of "digitalpoint".

krishnaverma, May 3, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Being succinct can be a good thing. I think SD was referring to the "yeah me too", "I like Coke" or "I like drive 1 mile" type posts.

ryan_uk, May 3, 2013 IP
  18. Wordpress Design

Wordpress Design Member

Best Answers:
    @Devtard- It's not always in stupid posts, sometimes there are stupid threads, like this one. Down to earth, please, there is no way to clean forum from spammers. They will always be here, so cool it off. When someone post something like that guy,in ''General Chat'' section, obviously, just want to hang out, not to give something useful to the forum, if you didn't notice. His posts aren't useful but there is no reason for reporting the guy. That is sily. No hard feelings, this is only my opinion.

Wordpress Design, May 5, 2013 IP
    BusinessMaker likes this.
  19. wproute

wproute Active Member

Best Answers:
    General Chat is "General Chat" you know.. I know I am not making sense here.. but hey .. again, it's General Chat. :)

wproute, May 5, 2013 IP
  20. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Well, stuff such as "my cat walks slowly", "I like Pepsi", "I like to drive 0.0001km/hour" is definitely General Crap. :p If that's the junk normal people talk about, I'll stick with my "weird" friends.

ryan_uk, May 5, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva, Devtard and Smyrl like this.