1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

knowledge about Directory business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by yousafzai99, Apr 13, 2013.

Hi guys
    I am observing that the directory business is not on track for the last few months especially after penguin update.I don't know why it effected this business because google didn't said any thing bad about directories however google always in search of fake directories(hope u better understand what kind of directories I mean).
    I believe still a quality directory worths. What do you ?

yousafzai99, Apr 13, 2013 IP
  2. imfusa

imfusa Active Member

Best Answers:
    From what i have saw and experienced, the directories that demands money (Featured listing 9.99$) and the directories that approve automatically sites or the ones that include adult/pharmacy categories are not well seen by Google. An example of directory that is asking lots of money for getting you listing approved, and that have only this submission type included is dirbull. They ask about 150 USD to get your site listed to them. Before panda and penguin, the pagerank of dirbull was PR 7 now it's about PR 4.
    Quality directory worths, but if you get in this business keep in mind that you can only earn from the ads placed on your directory (and don't place too many cause it will ring a bell in Google's eyes) and this should be like a hobby, don't think on selling links (Featured listing, asking money for review/approve the link).

imfusa, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  3. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your observation is severely flawed and must be based on a lack of experience. Just because a directory charges money, does not mean it is not well seen by Google. What business can survive from giving away their time freely without any form of compensation? I'll give you a hint. It's the majority of the worthless free directories that I safely assume that you like. And why do you like them? Is it possibly because the site you are listing would FAIL a review by a REAL directory? Or is it that you like to spend time submitting to a directory that will be dead in a few months or sooner?

Lumping "paid" directories in the same class as dirbull is an insult to many REAL directory owners.

Let me tell you my observation. Most of the people that are to cheap to spend money on a directory get what they pay for - nothing. Keep on submitting to those free directories (except for a handful of good ones) and see where it gets you - probably nowhere.

tornado!, Apr 19, 2013 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a BIG difference between paid links and paid directory submissions assuming the editor of the directory has a true editorial policy. More here

dvduval, Apr 19, 2013 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.
  5. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    To me, the greatest advantage to charging a minimal fee ($10-25) for a review of submissions is that it cuts back on the spam, since few spammers will shell out ten bucks for the privilege of wasting your time. It also goes a way toward paying for the time spent reviewing the site, which usually involves rewriting the title and/or description and moving the site to an appropriate category, but you're not going to earn a living from it. The largest of directories may be another matter, but most of us don't fall into that category.

dvduval likes this.
  6. eric_wahlberg

eric_wahlberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Actually, approval rate from directories have quite been reduced, if you want to go for paid submission then make sure two things

1. Related to your website theme : Directory should be related to your website theme.
    2. Good PR : Directory should have good PR and it should give you link on a page with good PR.
    These are most important factors to opt for paid directory submission, as far as free directory submission is concerned,let me tell you,you can do 1000 ,10000 it won't increase your rank since after Penguin and Panda Update, it's content,quality of content which matters more than no of links.

eric_wahlberg, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to burst your bubble Eric but from everything I've been seeing, the number of links is still being considered more significantly than the quality of the content.

"Directory should have good PR"

What a bunch of baloney. Many of the high ranking directories have bought or stolen their PR. What you pay for today can be gone in a flash. They are all about making money and have virtually no editorial standards. Heck, many of them are just a bunch of hackers who have figured out how to game Google's PR and make thousands upon thousands of dollars from fools chasing that little green bar.

Google had nothing to do with the drop on the Bull directory. Their original rank was gained by hacking. A handful of people worked weeks on helping those who were hacked and getting many of those links removed. (We should all thank them for what they did. I just wish Google would have taken a more active role.) Sadly, the decline in their PR had everything to do with a loss of links and nothing to do with any sort of penalty.

The good directories, even those with fairly decent PR scores, won't be bragging on their PR. They'll be promoting their strict editorial standards.

YMC, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  8. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    It may not increase your PageRank, but it will increase your standings in the SERPs. I have sites with no PageRank that are doing okay in the SERPs, within their niche, and this is entirely from listings in directories, mostly on pages that do not themselves have PageRank.

Since Google itself is deprecating its PageRank, I think it's fair to say that we need to look at other things. The average user doesn't have a clue as to what PageRank a site he visits may have; the important thing is where it shows up in the SERPs on targeted keywords.

Search on "web directory reviews" and you will see that I show up ahead of other sites that use the same name, and serve the same purpose, although they have PageRank and I do not.

I won't go so far as to say that PageRank is irrelevant. Of course, I'd like to have PageRank and, of course, I would be more inclined to submit to a page with PageRank than one without, but the most important thing is where you show up in the SERPs. Directory pages, even those without PageRank, can help. The relevancy of the category counts, as do the other listings that your site is listed among.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    silencer, YMC and stoner3221 like this.
  9. vijaysinh1

vijaysinh1 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Friends,​
    I work from home, and working directory submission worth just 2$ USD for 150 submission.... reply me if any advice.. ​

vijaysinh1, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  10. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may actually have Pagerank, but it does not show since Google has not exported it to the toolbar in a while.

I was looking at your site and the directory reviews. Not to be critical of what you are doing, but the directories you are reviewing are all pretty well known to everyone and have been reviewed by many people and on many blogs. It would be nice to read reviews of newer directories that are being run properly and ones that don't charge hundreds of dollars for a submission. At least for me, I'm listed in most of the directories you have reviewed. Cost, not knowledge of those directories, is why I don't submit to the others you have reviewed. Like I said, I am not being critical. But for those of us that still submit to directories, seeing the top directories rehashed over and over does not give us anywhere new to submit to.

tornado!, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  11. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    I'll get to them eventually; or some of them anyhow, since so many of the ones that aren't well known are not well known because they're not worth knowing. It makes sense, to me anyhow, to begin with the ones that show up in the SERPs, and work my way down. Anyone who would like to have their directory reviewed can either submit it to my directory of directories or drop me an email. I'm always open to suggestions, but I don't want to go out of my way to trash someone's directory just because it hasn't been around long enough to rate a good review.

I have several free and inexpensive directories listed in my directory of directories, many of which were added for content, and not submitted. I can't afford to list my sites in some of the directories that I've reviewed, but I have had a few of my sites picked up by Yahoo for free, and have come across others in other directories that I'm pretty sure I never submitted them to.

By the way, I don't at all mind criticism. While it might be nice to have people agree with me all the time, I imagine that would get boring after awhile. Fortunately, I haven't had to worry too much about that.

12. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Amateurs who review directories are very scary to say the least and so far that's all I have seen on the directory review websites.

stoner3221, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  13. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if this was aimed at me but, in the event that it was, I have been a directory editor for one directory or another since 1998, and currently spend fifty hours a week as a directory editor, not counting my own directory of directories, which is intended to supplement my review site rather than to be a money-making enterprise.

Most web directory reviews focus on the value of the back-links that can be purchased by the directory. Directories are evaluated according to their likelihood of passing on PageRank, or what they can do for a website in the SERPs. There's nothing wrong with that, as that is information that might be of use to someone who has a new website to promote.

However, if it is true that a web directory serves to direct someone to websites or other resources that are available online, then perhaps amateurs are the best people to evaluate them. I find product reviews that are written by people who have actually purchased and used the product to be more valuable than those written by people who are pushing competing products, or by product marketing agencies. Of course, I don't accept anyone's review at face value, but I read them, and am sometimes influenced by them. I have also ignored them, and later wished that I had paid more attention to the complaints. If I am shopping on Amazon, I find more value in the customer comments than in the marketing blurb that precedes them.

I also like Consumer Reports and similar, more professional reviews, but I worry more about the agendas that might be harbored by these professionals than I do about reviews written by real customers.

On the other hand, if it is not true that web directories serve a purpose in directing anyone anywhere, then perhaps they need to be called something else, such as link farms.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not to turn this conversation into a let's all jump on the new guy to the forum...but..."to begin with the ones that show up in the SERPs, and work my way down"...what phrases are you using? To me, a directory that ranks for "directory-related" terms is only targeting submitters and not really providing those same submitters with much value for their investment.

YMC, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  15. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    It was a response to someone who was complaining that I had reviewed only directories that he already knew about. I've been around directories for a long time, so if I am supposed to find directories that non one has ever heard of to review, how would you suggest I go about it?

Plus, I didn't say that was the only way that I was choosing directories. I was already aware of many of them, but when someone submits their directory to my directory of directories, I will eventually get around to reviewing them as well. This is only my fourth month of reviews, and I'm only doing twenty of them a quarter, only ten of them for the first time, so I won't get to all of them at once. Quite frankly, there are many that are not worth the time to review.

Let's look at it another way. If you didn't already know which directory you wanted to go to, you probably wouldn't be aware of the sites that list directories either, so you would probably search for a directory; and how would you search for a directory without using directory-related terms?

There there is the question of why on earth a directory shouldn't rank for directory-related terms. If the purpose of my directory is to direct people to other sites on the Internet, then wouldn't it make sense that I would want them to be able to find my directory to begin with? If your directory doesn't rank on directory-related terms, then people looking for a directory are not going to find it. If people looking for a directory can't find it, then just what is the purpose of your directory?

If it's a directory, you should want people to find it. If the only people who can find it are submitters, who are more likely to be able to find their way around, then you're just selling backlinks.

A directory is a type of a website. Websites should rank on the keywords and phrases most closely associated to their main topic or product. After all, if I am going to spend time creating the world's best website on blue widgets, then it would make sense that my site should show up in the SERPs on terms related to blue widgets.

Would you start a library and then put out a sign identifying it as something else?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If someone didn't know about directories, why would they search for directory-related terms? They wouldn't even know the word directory.

Wouldn't they search for something like car sites, flower websites, sites about x, places to advertise y sites, etc? Both submitters and non-submitting visitors are going to search for terms like that.

Directory this and directory that may get you submissions but a huge percentage of them will be from SEO firms. Personally, I would rather rank for phrases related to my categories and deal with site owners directly.

YMC, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  17. IvinViljoen

IvinViljoen Member

Best Answers:
    I heard paid link aren't good, but I guess it depends on what site they are posted on?

IvinViljoen, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  18. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very true that most directories are not worth knowing. That is why reviews of unknown but good directories would be nice to see.

YMC said it right I think. Most of the directories that appear in the search results are spending their time and a lot of money promoting themselves. I don't think Google's search results can be trusted. Ranking # 2 is Environment Directory. I'm not sure why Google is in love with this directory. They have been selling footer links for years. The Yahoo directory homepage is 19 and Best of the Web is 12. Look much farther in Google search results and the footer link selling directory and Yahoo directory have most of the 80-100 positions in Google.

I will check your site in the future. Maybe you will find some really good directories I have not seen, that are not too expensive, so that I can submit.

tornado!, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  19. Web Directory Reviews Org

Best Answers:
    I see what's wrong. We're talking about two different things. I was referring to people who weren't familiar with web directories, and you're talking about people who aren't familiar with the English language.

"Sites" is a directory-related term.

I think it's more important to you that you be right than it is to me, so you can be right if it means so much to you. But you're not, really.

20. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you are looking at the weaker end of the directory spectrum; you may also be using a poor submission strategy that triggers penguin.

Something that weak directories all have in common is the ability to trigger penguin because they use exact match anchor text, and create easy-to-spot spammy links in large abundance.

It's not because they are directories that they are being penalised. It is just a common trait that the weaker end of the directory spectrum share (spammy listings in large supply) that you are seeing this phenomenon. If you look at the weak end of any industry (blogs; or splogs to be more correct) you are going to find sites that are ripe for the angry penguins.

Yes. A quality directory still has worth. The difference is in our perception of what constitutes a quality directory. My perception of what a quality directory is, aligns with the same perspective as Google. Does yours?

silencer, Apr 24, 2013 IP