1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Directories Still Pass Link Juice?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by franklucas, Apr 18, 2013.

Hey Directory people, I was looking at some of my backlinks and totally wondering if directories pass link juice anymore. I know that BOTW and DirJournal are good ones, but how can I be sure that anything besides these directories work.

And what about niche directories? I have sites in the loans and other spaces. Do finance directories pass the mustard?

Thanks!!! I figure it would be great to get buy in and responses from Directory owners rather than SEOs as you guys do this daily.

Also, are you doing anything to make your directories special??

franklucas, Apr 18, 2013 IP
  2. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't expect a directory to pass any more link juice than any other normal website and the long established directories are business as usual. Nothing has changed much in years.

stoner3221, Apr 18, 2013 IP
    sunilmamo and JohnScott like this.
  3. OfficialRTS

OfficialRTS Active Member

Best Answers:
    When i started back in 2009 google had put a huge leverage of directories but now things have changed. Directories no longer hold any weight. Social networking links are put more importantly above everything else. I wouldnt waste my time with directories being they are becoming a thing of the past.

OfficialRTS, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  4. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    Directories are not receiving any special penalties by Google except for poor quality link farms just like any other poor quality website.

stoner3221, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  5. alboss13

alboss13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No you are wrong.. Directories related to the site niche work... I have seen three of my client sites be #1 after both penguin and panda.. Didnt shake them.. Obviously ive done more seo than that.. but directories were their links for the most part.

alboss13, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  6. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    You certainly have the right to your opinion but I go by my experience in the field.

stoner3221, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  7. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey friends,
    I want to know about the list of free instant approval directories..If you are experienced SEO then surely you will have such kind of list..So, please share here so that everyone can get more link juice in less time..

afoley77, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  8. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    You will find such garbage difficult to find on this forum.

stoner3221, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  9. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey stoner3221,
    You surely have the right to your suggestion but I need positive responses from other experts also..:)

10. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Alboss13 I'm struggling to see where Stoner's comment was wrong. By your own admission directories are working. Stoner's comment was that it is business as usual, and that low-quality link farms (those el cheapo directories that are built on a directory script and have zero editing) are the ones to avoid.

@afoley77 free instant approval directories are junk. There's your second expert opinion :)

silencer, Apr 24, 2013 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  11. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:

How can you say that these kinds of directories are junk?

12. article-spider

article-spider Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, directory submissions still work! i would stick to the quality directories which are edited and NOT the ones which accept every submission, these are just link farms and won't give you any link juice as you put it.

article-spider, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  13. coffeediva

coffeediva Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find that local directory sites work for Local business. I suppose that is because they are providing relevant links so I guess that of you use directories specific to your niche these would provide Link juice

coffeediva, Apr 27, 2013 IP
  14. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't it obvious? if the submissions are 'instantly approved' they're not edited for content or category location.

Say you opened your yellow pages searching for a window cleaner and found listings for abattoirs, car hire and seo india but no window cleaners. You'd think ugh this directory is junk.

And this is not an exaggeration I recently looked at a new directory announcement to IVS and in the first category I looked at all of the 16 links were irrelevant to the category.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    syted, Apr 27, 2013 IP
  15. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:

As syted put it, if the content isn't edited, but is "auto approved" then it creates a junk heap. Worst of all is that submitters spam directories. They don't know how to provide an objective view of their business, so they put in a hugely spammy over promotional piece of fluff to describe their site. They also try and cover every base with their one submission, all keywords, all product types.

For this reason submitted content, MUST be edited. That takes time. That means nothing gets auto approved.

Auto approval directories are junk. You've been told by 3 people now, and given reasons. How many "second opinions" do you need. Stay away from those sorts of directories or you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot.

silencer, May 6, 2013 IP
    afoley77 likes this.
  16. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey silencer,
    Thanks for giving this explanation and also to clear my doubts..

afoley77, May 6, 2013 IP
  17. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Edited directories have a higher status than auto approved link farms, but the truth remains that Google has devalued all general article directories. From the point of view of benefit vs hassle, you're better off doing guest posts and social media to get good backlinks.

melprise, May 6, 2013 IP
  18. alboss13

alboss13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He said "Directories are not receiving any special penalties" What i thought he meant was that Directories are being penalized but not as bad as blog farming sites. And i said in my opinion they do work depending on what your niche is

alboss13, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I will third it... I had a hard time understanding what Alboss13 was trying to say. It looks like you're disagreeing and agreeing; maybe I am wrong? Aside from the inexperienced wannabe SEO's who've panicked in the wake of both penguin and panda, I would have to say that the "business as usual" comment is on the mark. I've seen no significant decrease in listing.

Mia, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  20. iamalive

iamalive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In current SEO directory links have no worth it was a time when people work on it a lot but now time has changed. Now these kinds of links all worthless after the penguin update. So forget the directory submission and try to work only on relevant blogs and article submission.

iamalive, Jul 24, 2013 IP