1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will ODP/DMOZ accept my New Sites?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by akofnews, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have Created some new sites my own. But I want to add them Directory like ODP/DMOZ. Will they accept my new sites?

akofnews, Apr 20, 2013 IP
  2. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't have his own login (or who called in a favor from someone with a login) who has had a site accepted by the ODP in years. Categories that I have submitted sites to haven't been updated since 2006 or 2007. It is possible that there are some areas of the directory that are still maintained but I think it's fair to say that your chances of winning the lottery are probably higher. I'd buy a lottery ticket and use your winnings to submit a listing to Yahoo. Seriously, I still submit to the ODP because there's always a chance that someone is still breathing there, but I no longer expect anything from it.

3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You don't give your sites and you don't give the categories you want to submit them to. I processed some submissions today (less than a week in the queue) and one was accepted and the others are on hold. If you take the time to read some of the other threads in this section of the forum you'll lots of heated debate.

If you look at the very bottom of the page you want to submit to you can see when it was last edited...
    [​IMG]

sarahk, Apr 20, 2013 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Read the Submission Guidelines and see for yourself if the sites meet them. If they do, then you can suggest them to the most appropriate category.

Reviews can take any where from a day to years, so once you have made your suggestion, forget about it and move on.

snooks, Apr 20, 2013 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not quite correct....there is a known bug that under certain circumstances will not refresh the date, even though the category has been edited.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    snooks, Apr 20, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst new sites are accepted, there are some that need some maturity to them, so it is a little impossible to answer your question. For example we are not liely to take a directory until it is well populated or a blog.

The comments by Web Directory Reviews (LOL for the name) just show that s/he is not an editor and seems to rely on wrong information that some DMOZ haters put on this forum from time to time. As you have seen one of the mods on here tells you she has listed recent sites. And I have done the same in the last week. But hey what do those who are editors and actually do the work know compared to people who claim to review directories.

Anonymously, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  7. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I love that ODP defensiveness, which tends to be matched only by arrogance. It shows that someone is still alive over there, after all. Of course, that doesn't mean they're reviewing submitted sites.

My statement was a personal observation, and was clearly given as such. I will repeat it; although, so as not to bore anyone, I won't necessarily repeat it word for word. It has indeed been years since I have spoken to or heard from anyone who has had a site accepted to the Open Directory Project who was not himself an editor, who had called in a favor from someone who had a login.

I also conceded that there may well be some parts of the directory that are fairly well maintained, but I haven't come across them, nor have I heard from anyone who has had a site listed in one of them in the past few years.

When you point out that an editor says that he or she has listed a site, you are repeating what I had said in the post that you are disagreeing with, which is that I have heard from editors who have listed sites and from people who have called in favors from editors, in order to have their sites listed. That is not the same thing as a submitter testifying that a submitted site has been added. There may well be some out there, but they are awfully quiet, unlike what appears to be a majority of people who no longer see any reason to bother submitting to the ODP.

Actually, far from being an "ODP hater," I have very good feelings toward the Open Directory Project, I have a large amount of respect for what the ODP has done in the past, and feel that the time I spent there was time well spent. Skrenta and crew created something wonderful when they put the Open Directory Project together. Obviously, there are still people editing there, and there may well be some parts of the directory that are maintained; the fact that I haven't come across them doesn't mean that they don't exist. The Open Directory Project set the standard for the web directory industry; however, I believe that the industry has moved on while the ODP has become a collection of old links, far too many of which no longer lead anywhere. The Open Directory Project is huge, perhaps too large for its editing crew to properly maintain. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it unless someone yells at me or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  8. Sport streams

Sport streams Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I did not get site listed in DMOZ for years, stopped trying. They were for sure worth of listing. I agree with post above..pretty much dead.

Sport streams, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been posting on here for several years and I can count on the fingers of my hand the number of site owners who have come on here to tell us their site was listed. But I can show you hundreds of posters that their site has not been listed. Which is hw most forums of this nature function, far, far, far more complaints than people simply saying it worked for me!

Please read the posts that you repeat and then you will see that I never said that you were a DMOZ hater, only that you seemed to be listening to those who are.

But enough, this thread is now back on the old old story of how people don't get listed, that DMOZ is dead and editors are not working. None of which is true.

Anonymously, Apr 24, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.