1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review my food blog

Discussion in 'Design' started by Poon Poi Ming, Apr 5, 2013.

Poon Poi Ming, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  2. poison_paradize

poison_paradize Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

The overall website is very nice and easy to navigate throughout.

However, I feel that the top banner is not really coherent with the design of the whole website. It has a 90s feel to it.

Hope that was helpful.

poison_paradize, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  3. Poon Poi Ming

Poon Poi Ming Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Poison Paradize, thank you for your feedback. I totally agree with you about the banner... the colors are too loud. Will change it when I can find a more subtle hue.

Poon Poi Ming, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  4. Deceneu

Deceneu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The blue theme doesn't fit with your header (big logo). I would put a different logo on my blog, one to match the theme. The loading speed is great. And the design looks professional

Deceneu, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  5. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Deceneu, I agree with you... either I change the color of the widget bars or I have to change the banner. (Too much red is also bad.)

It's hard to find blue food (unless I make the photo like a black-and-white photo, except that I use blue tone instead of black), or else I should change the widget bars to say, green and come out with a banner that uses a lot of green vegetables and fruits.

6. Kilo S27

Kilo S27 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    in my opinion, the color of the food isn't your problem. The photography in your header is "insensitively cropped", has too much stuff on it (less is always better), and it's really a bad photography for today's standards. You don't even need to have a picture of food in your header, the slideshow on your frontpage shows pictures of food, so visitors immediately know what your page is about.

I made a quick google image search with the right keywords, if you're interested take a look for inspiration:http://www.greatdeals.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/food_safari.jpg
    http://www.ixesn-wageningen.nl/sites/ixesn-wageningen.nl/files/images/Food-Flags.png

and if you want to have some blue-colored element, it can also go like this:
    http://www.ongofood.com/wp-content/themes/ongotheme/images/home-slideshow/01.jpg

Good luck

Kilo S27, Apr 8, 2013 IP
  7. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Kilo S27, thank you for taking the time to help me googled for food images. I will see how I can use some of these images. Actually, after initially placing the banner, I did sense that something is not right. I thought it was the loud colors, plus the red color does not match the theme, as mentioned earlier by Deceneu.

Actually, the banner's concept was based on another website that I have, which has so far received good reviews at LinkReferral.com: http://health.jbdirectory.com/Health_and_wellness

Of the many reviews I had received from there, only one complained that the banner is too striking, while many told me that they like the layout so much that they won't change anything on it. But there's no such thing as a perfect layout or banner and change is what I believe, ought to be done from time to time, as our knowledge improve.

Unlike LinkReferral, DigitalPoint comprises more tech-savvy members and opinions here are more exacting. When I put my first website here a few years ago, I got hit left, right and center. That was how I made a "quantum leap" from a banner using merely HTML to photographs, as suggested by reviewers here, LOL.

8. costea

costea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try adding 2 more social profiles button to make it even and let 2 more posts to appear on the main page so that it finishes right in from of your ads from your right side. Overall, nicely done! Remember, content is king.

costea, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  9. Kilo S27

Best Answers:
    No problem, as I said they're just for an inspiration, i'm not suggesting that you must use them :)

I explain to you what is the difference between those two headers. In this one
    http://health.jbdirectory.com/skins/banner.jpg
    is a group of vegetables in the center of the image, with some free space on the both edges equally distributed. If you take a photography of an object, you want to keep the object in its center and leave some free space around it.

This image
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZIfzADpKpxg/UVYC6MbkMUI/AAAAAAAAAK4/3I0qB_CumPc/s1600/banner-latest.jpg
    on the other hand looks like cropped out of a larger photography. It has no concept and the edges looks like they had been "cut off".

This concept might be also useful in a webdesign.

Kilo S27, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  10. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Kilo S27, I hope I am not giving you the impression that I said that you are forcing it on me... just an exchange of views. I appreciate your comments. The banner is indeed cropped from 2 images and merged.

Poon Poi Ming, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  11. Pak U Tube

Pak U Tube Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your Site is redicting to another link.

Pak U Tube, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  12. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
    Hi Costea, thank you for your comments... actually, there were initially 7 social profiles buttons but the owner removed it. (I am not the owner, just helping to get the blog Adsense-ready but unfortunately, it was rejected this morning.)

13. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:
  14. Kilo S27

Best Answers:
    Of course ;) Good luck with your work

Kilo S27, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  15. DovieKnoll

DovieKnoll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just to add some, background color does not suit your theme. I think it is better to be of lighter color.

DovieKnoll, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  16. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:

Yes, I agree with you... a subtler color is more appropriate.

17. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:

A learning process... that's why I posted the blog here for review. And that's also why I helped the blog owner free of charge. I learn as I do and it's been almost 6 years since, and I have hardly scratch the surface.

18. costea

costea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, sorry to hear that, hope everything will be good, I am sure you will find a way of doing what you need.

costea, Apr 9, 2013 IP
  19. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice looking site..
    Why don't you use a better font ? you still use standard web font..
    good luck..

bluebenz, Apr 13, 2013 IP
  20. Poon Poi Ming

Best Answers:

Hi, thank you for your feedback. What font would be better? I see most websites are using Arial.

Poon Poi Ming, Apr 13, 2013 IP