1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Editor For Php??

Discussion in 'PHP' started by ggiindia, Feb 16, 2013.

1. stephan2307

stephan2307 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am a fan of phpDesigner. Very good environment and comes at a good price. Also the normal license allows you to install it on 3 computers which is awesome. You also get some free upgrades with your purchase.

If you don't have a license you get 30 days trial time. I think I also have seen an older version for free somewhere on cnet.

The cool thing is that they also have a portable version that you can install on your memory stick and take it anywhere you want.

Give it a try and you will love it.

stephan2307, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  2. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not possible. I have laptop with 4 GB ram and eclipse works fine

richardm55, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you use it for javascript, it does leak like a sieve because if you do something like:

while (target.firstchild) target.removeChild(target.firstChild);

Even if nothing is still referencing the object, it leaves it in memory as it lacks the garbage collection even IE 5.5 had. Worse, with no reference, it doesn't de-allocate it properly even after execution has ended.

NOT that I'd use eclipse for javascript since that should be tested in ACTUAL BROWSERS -- though to be fair not that I'd use it at ALL. I found it a buggy slow unusable wreck -- but that's been my experience with most every steaming pile of garbage built with Java. It's not even system metric aware, so that's two strikes... third strike being all the stupid toolbars and panes that don't leave enough room to actually view code (no wonder people think code folding is a good thing -- it isn't)... and by the time you gut it down to something almost useful -- congratulations, you've got notepad and the ACTUAL environments you should be building and testing on... and that's before talking all the useless garbage it saddles you with and doesn't even let you turn off that just gets in my damned way.

It was stupid back when it was an IBM OS/2 app - today? Pfft. WHY?!? Do people just like making more work for themselves or something? I really do fail to grasp how most of these IDE's and other 'tools' speed up development any more than the fat bloated steaming pile of manure frameworks do!

deathshadow, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  4. duckz

duckz Active Member

Best Answers:
    try using Eclipse PDT + javascript and enable the autocompletion feature then when you type something like $('someselector'). // notice the dot // then pause for a moment, then your eclipse begin to slow.

or open some ugly javascript code, like nicEdit.js then your eclipse will crawl to its knee :)

open multiple ugly code.... eclipse will hang .. at least on windows 7

duckz, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  5. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have no occasion to see such a problem because I use Eclipse for php only.

richardm55, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  6. ecstacy1119

ecstacy1119 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    notepad++ with light explorer plugin

ecstacy1119, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  7. annaharris

annaharris Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a php developer, i would like to suggest you notepad++ and Dreamweaver. Both are very easy to use. From long times, I use Dreamweaver but notepad++ is another best option for writing PHP script.

annaharris, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  8. Jack-AH

Jack-AH Peon

Best Answers:
    I preffer Dreamviewer is the best and when I use Dreamviewer It Gives a lot of fun and I can covert sites in to php very easily and quickly as well and they looks
    great trust me dude just try once and specialy for new guyz itz easy to use....

Jack-AH, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  9. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As I said before I used Dreamweaver and I can easily say it is unnecessary ballast. This is very large program and only I used code editor there. This program is for created whole website.
    There are much better programs for coding in php like eclipse, netbeans which dedicated just code editing.

richardm55, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    .. the engrish moist goodry going hand in hand with the intelligence level of the folks I expect to sing DW's praises. Everything you need to know about Dreamweaver is right there!

deathshadow, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  11. Skovy

Skovy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I like to use Aptana Studio. It can be a bit laggy and slow at times but it has the FTP built into it so you do not have to manually save the file and then go to your FTP program and upload it. This works great for building websites when no one will be using them. But once you begin to get traffic this probably is not the best method.

Also if you are a beginner, I highly recommend notepad++ because it does not help you write code at all which makes you have to manually type it all out. This is a HUGE advantage when you are in the early learning phase. It engraves it into your head and forces you to comprehend what you are actually doing better than some 'fill in the blank' editors which are very very nice for users that better understand the code and have more experience.

This is just my opinion on the matter. Everyone has their own!

Skovy, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    *SNICKER* - sounds like HTML 5 or Dreamweaver.

I know, I know... that's NOT what you meant.

13. Skovy

Skovy Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Damn you troll! I always make my sites with the intent of no one using them, what are you talking about? Just kidding. I actually liked that comment deathshadow.

For everyone else that is confused... I meant when you have no traffic on the site when you are working on it or some undesirable things may happen.

Skovy, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Thing is, when I do that I do so on a local server that's mapped to the same directory I'm editing from, I only upload via FTP when it's going to the live server instead of testing.

XAMPP or working under Linux is great for that. Just edit in a locally live testing directory (localhost) and then only FTP when you know it's good to go. As such to 'test' (which should be done in the BROWSER, NOT the editor) you hit save, alt tab to the browser(s) and hit F5.

That way "live traffic" never plays into it... and if you REALLY need near-identical configuration to the actual server, there's always VirtualBox or VMWare to install the same server software and config... though in most cases XAMPP is overkill.

P.S. Really glad you took it in the spirit it was meant -- That one sentence just struck me as really funny.

15. Skovy

Skovy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That is true... but if I am working on a new website from scratch and I know no one is going to visit and if any one does it won't matter it cuts out a lot of extra things... I guess I like to take the lazy way whenever possible.

Skovy, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I think that's where it gets funny -- we all have different definitions of 'lazy' -- to me having something like XAMPP installed ahead of time with it's htdocs directory being where I do all my new site development, WITHOUT getting FTP or an FTP client involved in the process is the 'lazy' way.

But I have that a lot -- the things other people consider the 'easy' or 'lazy' way just looks like MORE work and LESS reliable to me. See tranny markup, presentational markup, OOCSS, HTML 5, frameworks, IDE's, visual programming, WYSIWYG's, drawing cutesy pictures in photoshop then calling oneself a 'web designer', etc, etc... It all seems like more work to me!

To be fair, I say the same thing about color syntax highlighting, autocomplete, tabbed editing, including CSS in the markup of one's initial prototype layout, and a host of other things some folks seem 100% reliant upon. It's all just crap that makes it harder to do and take longer to complete... and then people call it the easier/lazy way of doing it and my brain goes "WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?!?"

17. Skovy

Skovy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very creative! I saw you do this on some other posts and laughed because some people are probably like WHISKY TANGO FOXTROT is he talking about...

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. And then again we all kind of do have our own lazy's. There are some things we like to do over others and its vice versa for others. I like to do things more 'old school' I guess. I want to make my own code, even if it takes more time. I don't want to use frameworks and other things like that...

Skovy, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  18. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Deadshadow, I can see that you recommend the simplest possible editor like notepad.

richardm55, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  19. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Well, at least a notepad replacement like Flo's Notepad2 (my current favorite) so you have proper enhanced character encoding support and a few more useful bits like the convert and block functions. There are extra bits I do find handy -- like how it handles wordwrap with indentation guides and wrap symbols (See bottom of this screencap, an adjustable column guide, trailing space stripping, brace matching, and auto conversion between spaces and tabs. (handy with all the jerks who save as spaces)

Vanilla notepad CAN be used, but it does leave one wanting.

Editplus, notepad++, win32pad, Crimson -- they're all pretty good; many of them just don't let me turn off all the bits and pieces I don't want.

I use Flo's (which is based on Scintilla without being a total piece of Scite -- I say, I say, that's a joke son) for EVERY language I program, be it markup or real programming. Pascal, C, C++, PHP, HTML, doesn't matter, because all I want is a damned window I can type in with a few simple tools, maybe a regex search/replace. Anything else is just crap to get in the way of actually writing code.

I learned that back when Borland started pissing all over it's wonderfully simple Wordstar ripoff when they added color syntax highlighting. I've called that crap an illegible acid trip of color for over two decades now... NOT that I particularly miss using wordstar commands to edit; makes me wonder just what's in the Kool-aid of the folks that still use vi and it's kine. At that point you might as well go back to using edlin or editing the inodes on a disk manually with a magnet.

20. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Brevet code isn't exactly being creative... particularly for someone who's sierra-hotel ex-USAF. Goes with all the other fun military terminology one could throw around - SNAFU, TARFU, FUBAR...

... and of course the one that describes HTML 5 perfectly -- BOHICA. That last one anyone familiar with the giant green weenie understands all too well.