1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Was I scammed?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Nucita, Apr 3, 2013.

For a while I been writing for a blog. I received my money the first day of the month. But this month I haven received anything yet. I'm kind of worried and sad. I won't tell the name of the blog or the name of the person, but how far I need to wait? Most of the times as soon I send an e-mail, the person answer...but not this time...
    What can I do? :oops:

Nucita, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  2. nhed

nhed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly speaking, there isn't much you can do if you've worked on pure trust base. My suggestion would be to contact the blog owner a couple of times again and wait until the end of this week. It is only 3rd day of the month and the person might have been busy/occupied with other things.
    I was in a situation similar to yours where I paid someone beforehand for the work that was never done and had to see my bank to get it back.
    Anyways, jut don't lose your hope and be a little cautious next time. Not everyone is a fraud/thief (though 90% of them are).
    I wish you good luck and hope you will get paid for the work you did. (There are a lot of things that you could do to damage ones reputation but I really hope you wouldn't be needing that route)

nhed, Apr 3, 2013 IP
    Nucita likes this.
  3. Nucita

Nucita Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! I will give him more time. It is the first time in 3 months of work.
    It is true that there are a lot of scammers out there, but I prefer to think in the good will of the people until the end. Do you know how can I avoid scammers in general?

Nucita, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  4. nhed

nhed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to be blunt but there is no GUIDE to spot or avoid scammers. Experience is the worlds best mentor. Here are some tips that I would use if I am working for someone.
    - If you are working for someone here on DP, do a thorough research on his/her previous posts to see what others are saying and what he/she is saying to get an idea about the person.
    - Before starting the work, negotiate with your employer to get some money upfront.
    - If something cant be worked upfront, provide a demo (partial access) of your finished work and give the complete access to the finished work after getting paid (this is probably the best way for an employee and the employer)
    - Use secured payment methods (escrow, Paypal etc)
    - Keep a record of communication and delivery proofs (In the event of any disputes)
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    nhed, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  5. CharlesAnthony

CharlesAnthony Active Member

Best Answers:
    nhed already replied everything in a analytical manner.
    You can wait, if you are in contract beyond of escrow facility.

My suggestion is, approach him with polite manner that your writing is your earning source(you can use some email service like spypig to know if your client have read your email or not). If he is honest he will pay you for sure.

My own belief, even if 99% people of this earth are bad, then too there are 1% who are our hopes, inspiration for doing good works.

CharlesAnthony, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  6. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Learn from the mistake , next time only deal with those paid and pass them the blog content in the same time.
    If this is the 1st time happen , you might try to contact him up beside email, maybe phone call or skype because the admin might not around for a moment or facing issues that you can give him more time periods to paid you .

If they just don't want to give you the money.
    If can try to warn him that if he din paid for the blog article, you do not have the right to own it and you can apply the copyright and get him to the trouble.

JerrickYeoh, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  7. bmxryder711

bmxryder711 Member

Best Answers:
    I would give them more time.

bmxryder711, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  8. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing much you can do, you can only wait

lifeplayer, Apr 3, 2013 IP
  9. CashflyAlex

CashflyAlex Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, you will need patience. He may still have the best intentions.

CashflyAlex, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  10. Nucita

Nucita Member

Best Answers:
    thank you guys! I've received my payment and talked to the owner of the blog few minutes ago. I've learned the lesson. Thanks for your support!!!

Nucita, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  11. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to realise that it is (or at least was just easter) it is common for people to take holidays at this time. If so, just be patient. (I have 2 guys from work that are off today on holidays)

The other possibility is they might be low on cash. Again, all you can do is be patient. Give them 30 days then I will agree that It is scam.

I have learnt from my mistake and no longer pay in advance, only paying after receiving the completed job.

matt_62, Apr 4, 2013 IP