1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to determine the value of a Twitter account

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by Blogmaster, Mar 26, 2013.

About a year ago a friend asked me for help when he was thinking of buying a website.
    It wasn't the website that interested him as much as the fact that it came with a Twitter account that had 18,000 followers.
    So I contacted the seller via Twitter and asked how much he wanted for a sponsered tweet after I wrote a quick blogpost that was niche related.
    He quoted me 25 USD claiming it was worth it, because he was a respected authority in the field and I told him to screw off. When he came back to me, we agreed on 5 USD and it was a tweet.

I looked at my stats and the total of visits was 4 visitors.

Thinking it could be a glitch, I contacted someone else who had 900 followers, also related to the niche, and he tweeted it for free.

Through his tweet, several people retweeted it and the total of clicks came to around 1200.

To make a long story short: There are several tools out there measuring influence which are pretty accurate. The number of followers is not what matters, but how much impact you have.

Blogmaster, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    browntwn and digitalpoint like this.
  2. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is a good idea to find out how many followers are real and not fake. A tweet by an account with 18k REAL FOLLOWERS for 25 dollars is pretty cheap.

Devtard, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    dotcompals likes this.
  3. Econox

Econox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't looked into it myself, but how reliable is klout.com for this sort of thing?

Econox, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    funmom91 and dotcompals like this.
  4. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is true. Once one of followback accounts with 400,000 followers tweets about my service. All I got was few visitors.
    There are few factors that should be looked, and number if followers as standalone factor has no value.
    First, if twitter user matches your niche, most likely his followers will click more on related tweets. And you need to check how many time tweets from given user were retweeted or flagged as favorite. That shows that followers reading tweets. Users that follow thousands not reading tweets, and as such useless to have any business with them.

Montreal Classifieds, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    Devtard likes this.
  5. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    dotcompals, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  6. suidmach

suidmach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just had a sponsored tweet go out on an account that over 250,000 followers. Unfortunately, the ctr was way less than what I expected. To be exact, it was in the single digits. It is extremely important to know the quality of the followers for tweets.

suidmach, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  7. azharSEO

azharSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    If are you looking What is the Value of your Twitter Account you can check on Tweet value . com

azharSEO, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  8. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just tried tweet value, but getting error - not working.
    Also not clear how this website calculates the value, what the logic?

Montreal Classifieds, Mar 31, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It's a cute toy. ;)
    The value is also super inflated. strokes people's egos and it works. They share their overvalued profile.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Blogmaster, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  10. 0mgJohn

0mgJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I have about 14,400 real followers and they're all aged roughly between 15 and 28, with the average ages being about 20. Obviously, these followers all have a large interest in music and ordering products online, especially clothing, so I often get people coming to me to buy sponsored tweets and retweets for their networks, clothing and music sites and brands.

0mgJohn, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I took a quick look and saw you're using http://www.justunfollow.com/

Are you using the paid version?

Blogmaster, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  12. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely, it's all about your impact. 100 quality followers who are INTERESTED in what you say, are way better than 30,000 followrs who don't really care and don't want to know you.

ninjamtlt1, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  13. 0mgJohn

0mgJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using the free version, as I just use it to keep a quick tally of new followers/unfollowers.

However, I use a 69 pence app called Twitmanager Pro (or something along the lines) to see new followers, unfollowers, people who block me, mutual followers, set black lists etc...

0mgJohn, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  14. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The value of a Twitter account depends on the niche you are targeting. Some Twitter accounts are going to be valuable in some niches and not others. Furthermore, the number of followers is irrelevant. Many accounts with 100,000's of followers have fake followers who are not active which explains the low CTR. I have under 5,000 followers but they all are active and I communicate with a lot of them on a weekly basics. I have a Fiverr gig where I accept certain tweets and customers love it because of the results they get. I do not spam my followers and they know that they can trust what comes through my feed. Before purchasing tweets from someone you have to check their influence first. This can be done by checking Klout Scores and looking through their Twitter Feed in general.

funmom91, Apr 1, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  15. 0mgJohn

0mgJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I have to argue againts your point in saying that the number of followers is irrelevant.

As long as the followers are targeted, the higher CTRs you get. On top of that, if you have say 15,000 targeted followers, your CTRs will be high, as will your sales or whatever you're looking for.

So yes, no. of followers is relevant. Without barely any, you'd get no traffic, targeted or not targeted.

0mgJohn, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    It depends on the percentage of people within the following which have followed you because they are interested in you vs. those who followed for other reasons.

Blogmaster, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  17. master1989

master1989 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It also depends on the twitter users who are interested about your website. Not the large number of followers but its the targeted followers that matters sometimes who show interest.

master1989, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I am just now beginning to look at Klout and like it a lot, but have not figured out how to look at the "influence" of someone' Twitter account who is not within my network.

Blogmaster, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  19. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

You should have access to view their Twitter Feed unless they have a private account.

funmom91, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but I don't see the option in Klout to evaluate accounts. Where do I click?

Blogmaster, Apr 8, 2013 IP