1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Submitting Question

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mrix, Mar 28, 2013.

Hello all, if you go over to the DMOZ forums you read from the main admin editors you only need to add your website once and no more as it will not help you.

The thing is just say you did submit once but your listing was not successful because you did not submit correctly to the guidlines ? how would you know as they never get in touch with you ? There must be so many quality sites that do not get in because of their listing guildlines ? I have submitted my site and never got listed, I cannot see any reason why it would not and can only think it maybe because of my own mistake? does this mean I should never apply again ?
    Surely if a DMOZ editor has time to check your listing surely they have time to send out a email to explain why the listing was not successful, just some form of template to save on time etc.
    Getting in the DMOZ can be very important for some people especially if you are a business, it really does seem an unfair system at present.
    Thanks all
    mrix

mrix, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Three things
    1. How do you know that your site has been rejected? If it complies with guidelines it will be awaiting an editor to review the site and that can take from a few days to a few YEARS.
    2. If it does not comply with guidelines, it is not just a near miss and a few small fixes. We do NOT reject sites because of how they are built, gizmos, good looking etc have no bearing on acceptance or decline. The criteria is if it has UNIQUE content. Getting a good description might help speed up a review, as might a correct title and added to the correct category...... editors will correct all that if it is wrong, but that can delay a listing but does not stop it.
    3. But you make one big mistake, you believe that DMOZ offers a listing service to site owners, it does not. It offers a service to those who want to use categorised and collated data for searching the web and only that within the constraints of DMOZ being a hobby for editors that they perform in their spare time. No one gets paid for editing, that is why suggestions are free. DMOZ editors do not usually inform suggesters because the site owner could have checked it themselves against DMOZ guidelines http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html and if it is not acceptable then tinkering with it will not make it acceptable. That's why we say don't bother re-suggesting because if it complies it will not be lost and you do no good re-suggesting because it gets a new datestamp which can delay a review for a possible listing and if it has already been rejected, unless it is a completely different site, it will be rejected again, which wastes editor time. DMOZ does NOT undertake to review any suggested site in a timeframe that will satisfy site owners and DMOZ has no interest in any value a site might gain from having a listing in the directory.

And a PS
    Please DO NOT listen to those who tell you to pay for a listing, sites get banned forever for that and so does any editor caught taking money. And for those who say all editors are corrupt why would we tell people NEVER to do this if any of us took bribes? And generally these days a listing in DMOZ is seen as just another link, so I am told.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Anonymously, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  3. mrix

mrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello and thanks for your reply, its very much appreciated.

The thing is How do I know it has not been rejected ? I will never be told ? I`ll just wait indefinitely for years in hope ?

Why is it a big mistake? the DMOZ offers people to submit their websites? if what you say is true why is it not purely for DMOZ to search out relevant useful websites for the DMOZ directory?

If we were to be honest this type of thing must go on ?, some corrupt editor uncaught could likely make a small fortune, maybe that`s why its very difficult to become an editor ? catch 22 I guess.
    If I cannot get my site listed the correct way I would certainly not pay some corrupt editor! I would most definately report him more like!
    Thanks for your time
    mrix

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    mrix, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ invite you to suggest your website, but thats all we do....we invite you. We do not promise it will be listed within a certain time frame and the suggestion pool is only one spot that Editors look for sites. As mentioned, we do not provide a listing service........

Once you have suggested the site you can do nothing other than move on. Any actions you take, any re-submissions can only be detrimental to your cause. Like it or not, this is how it is and thats the simple facts.

snooks, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  5. mrix

mrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello and thanks for your reply, I am only talking my mind and am very much aware anything I type will not effect anything.
    I will take your advice though and just move on regarding the DMOZ.
    Thanks
    mrix

mrix, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's the best thing to do because worrying and stresing about a link wont help. There are many sites that achieve #1 ranking that arent listed in DMOZ. It is only a link :)

snooks, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You ask how you will know if it has been rejected. Don't bother, if it has been rejected then the site is so not DMOZ that you will never sort it out!! If it is compliant it still awaits a review and that is the most likely scenario. That review being from an editor who chooses to work that area and chooses to use suggestions as their resource and no one can know when that will be.

You also ask why they offer suggestions under the circumstances I have described, well I have said on here many times that I agree with you, but lost that debate!

But I am delighted that you are not tempted into trying to pay. I think they are mostly scams. To be of any use to get a site listed an editor has to be able to edit in most of the directory, and that is restricted to a few editors who have put in hundreds of hours of work. Do you really think they would risk all that hard work done in their spare time? Realise that every single edit that an editor makes is logged to their name, I have the first edit I ever did over 10 years ago still associated with my log! So it is not list a site and run with no trace, every single edit in the directory is traceable to the editor who did it.

I know all of this is not what you want to know, but it is the reality. Site owners are used to directories where you either pay or expect a review in a reasonable time frame, but because DMOZ is not aimed at owners but end users the needs of owners are not part of the equation that's how it is set up.

Anonymously, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

This is mot exactly true, on the freelance sites the editors promise to list sites for $50 in 10 days. ;):)

gworld, Apr 1, 2013 IP