1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which hosting type to use ?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by csetube, Mar 25, 2013.

Im currently using 3owl for my site hosting (Trial)
    While doing with that I encounter this error.
    CPU Exceeded problem. It seems my site has exceeded 70% of the CPU Usage.

So the server redirected to 3owl home page for 1 day as a punishment.
    Actually Im running a forum in that..
    trainee.3owl.com. Then I did create a backup at aut.3owl.com

After that I enquired about this with some hosting providers in mail. They said me to use dedicated hosting (or) VPS hosting.
    I don't know what they all are about.. I just know that in hosting our files are stored at server. Someone pls help me with this.

See my site and say which is best for me.. Im just a starter. My expectation is 500 unique visitors per day max.
    I want my money to be efficiently utilized as possible.
    Should I use VPS (or) Dedicated hosting ?
    Also I need DP members to help me about the problems encountered in hosting.

csetube, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  2. UKDomains

UKDomains Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest getting a VPS. There are various advantages to this:

1. You have a dedicated environment for your forum.
    2. If you need more resources, most of the time you can upgrade relatively easily.
    3. Cheaper than a dedicated server.
    4. You often have better options.

Where do you need your forum to be hosted? Where are most of your users from?

UKDomains, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  3. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How can you say that?

I would be extremely wary. If he's hitting 70% CPU utilisation on a shared hosting server then a VPS may not have anywhere near the CPU grunt or RAM that he needs.

The answer depends on the spec of the shared hosting server. If his current host is using high-spec servers then there's no way an average VPS is going to be enough. If the host is using relatively low-spec servers then a VPS might be OK. If he was hitting 70% CPU on our shared hosting servers then he'd need a decent budget for his own dedicated servers if he was going solo.

The visitor numbers - 500 unique a day - might suggest a VPS, but that number of visitors shouldn't bother a shared hosting account either...but it does. Before moving anywhere I'd want to track down what it was that was causing 70% CPU usage because that's going to haunt him whatever decision he makes. Something doesn't seem right.

The OP needs to find out more about the original spec before anyone can advise properly, or else he takes the chance and is prepared to upgrade if the spec he chooses isn't enough.

My immediate advice would be to stick with shared hosting and sort out what is causing the 70% usage. If that can't be solved, or whatever is causing it can't be removed, only then should he consider a more expensive option.

RonBrown, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  4. UKDomains

UKDomains Member

Best Answers:
    Reason I'm saying that is because it is a trial account, as OP has said. Therefore it would suggest that perhaps the shared environment is heavily utilized, and even more than likely the account has severe restrictions placed on it. This is after all a host offering unlimited everything for free....

UKDomains, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  5. csetube

csetube Member

Best Answers:
    How to find it bro.. ?
    I just have created a new forum... less number of posts... Then how my CPU utilization getting high ?

csetube, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  6. Feriscool

Feriscool Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would consider moving to BlueHost. Cheap and offer almost unlimited everything.

Feriscool, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  7. Samkk

Samkk Peon

Best Answers:
    Interserver ///dot/// net ------> VPS or finally a Delicated Server.

For reference only.

Samkk, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  8. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    You'll need your hosts help to see if they can identify what/when/why/how this is happening. Of course, it's up to the host whether they will help or not. Maybe it's just easier for them to kick you off than try to help as they are under no obligation to help you solve errors with your own programmes.

Why not visit the forums for the programe you are using, or do a search, for other people that are having similar issues with the software or any plugins you are using - you're unlikely to be the first.

With things like this, it's not the number of visitors that are causing the problem, but the programme you are using or any plugins. Maybe the forum script is badly written, maybe there's badly scripted plugin, could be a DB error, or it could be an extremely low-end server where the slightest strain causes CPU spikes.

Turn off every single additional function and plug-in you are using and see what happens. Gradually turn everything back on to see what difference they make. You might find it, you might not, but if you don't track it down the chances are it will cause you problems whereever you go.

RonBrown, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RonBrown offering very sound advice as always...imagine that!

It's really impossible to tell what kind of hosting you will need, without having actual numbers from the host. 70% doesn't mean anything. 70% of what? One core? Two cores? The entire server? 70% over how long? etc.

That said, with only 500 unique visitors per day, unless they are all logging into your forum at once, I can't imagine how you would need a VPS or dedicated server. I think your biggest problem is that you are trying to use a free host. If your forum is important to you, buy some decent shared hosting for a few bucks a month, and you shouldn't have any issues.

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  10. csetube

csetube Member

Best Answers:
    Im just having trial i free host to know the problems encountered in hosting... :)
    Soon Im going to get a server... Im sure that I will get a max of about 250 visitors including bots at a time.. So what kind of hosting shall I get ?

csetube, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  11. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I said, you should be just fine with a decent shared hosting plan. You most certainly shouldn't need a dedicated server. If you are trying to decide between a VPS and Dedicated Server, start with a VPS (going to be MUCH cheaper) and if your forum grows, you can move to a dedicated server later, if you actually need it.

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  12. csetube

csetube Member

Best Answers:
    What's the difference between Shared hosting plan and VPS ?

csetube, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  13. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    C'mon! Now you're just being lazy. Look it up. There's tons of answers on these forum if you search, and Google is usually a good resource of information. Don't overstay your welcome or test the patience of people trying to help.

RonBrown, Mar 27, 2013 IP
    WSWD likes this.
  14. TheMostCreative

TheMostCreative Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously ! 500 visitors a day is something that shared hosting could handle ..., it could be there server being old and filled with accounts, if your interested i could help you with getting good hosting, drop me a pm ;)

TheMostCreative, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  15. johnnyhood

johnnyhood Peon

Best Answers:
    You can go with shared web hosting.The Advantage of shared web hosting are below:-
    1-Support and Maintenance.
    2-Reliability and Security.

johnnyhood, Apr 10, 2013 IP
  16. DavidHarvey

DavidHarvey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hope it will help you!!!
    2013-04-11_1310.png

DavidHarvey, Apr 11, 2013 IP
  17. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you are recieving a CPU overuse error with 3owl, then you can probably safely move to a paid shared webhost or a lowend vps.

sambling, Apr 12, 2013 IP
  18. jjosephs

jjosephs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would recommend a cheap VPS cloud service. I'm using digitalocean.com currently and they are absolutely fantastic. I'm on the 512 MB plan ($5 a month) and it runs my site just fine. My site is pretty low traffic at the moment but I expect it to increase. I'm actually moving my projects from a shared site5 account to my digitalocean server. I pay $18 less per year on the VPS than I did with my shared. Gotta love how technology constantly improves and goes down with price. :)

Cheap VPSs like these are great because I can ramp up my resources with the click of a mouse. If my site is slow, I can up my plan to a 1 GB or more in less than 2 minutes. Completely automated. You can do the same for your site.

There are drawbacks to this service compared to a shared account.

* This type of service is unmanaged. You'll have to install everything yourself. With that said, they have great tutorials and even a command line newb like myself was able to setup mailservers, ftp, php modules and just about everything else. If you're a technophobe this isn't the service for you.

* mailservers can be very slow on a 512 MB with your site. If you plan on doing a lot of mailing you'll have to either up the resources or setup a separate instance which would up the cost from $5 a month to $10 a month. Mailing being stuff that's send out to external services like gmail, yahoo, etc. Internal forum messaging wouldn't rely on the mailing server.

jjosephs, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  19. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your site looks NOT heavy. i think there is some issue with optimisation. You need to ask your host provider which script causing the load exactly.

postcd, Apr 20, 2013 IP
  20. vpsguru

vpsguru Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello

Hm , how I can read you need just great company who make your job easier and have good support.

Only little company have all them what I say and that is :
    - Great support
    - Great chat support
    - Best knowledge
    - Work with just one virtualization (Linux or Windows)

I suggest you , when you searching vps company for self, best is when she has only one virtualization , windows or linux.

I prefer windows servers because, for me , are better and its secure then linux.

vpsguru, Apr 22, 2013 IP