1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - Website Hosting is too slow

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by v4vaibhav, Mar 27, 2013.

Hi friends

I have a website which is hosted on godaddy servers. I have started facing issues like very slow loading of website. Now for a commercial website, it is bad for business. Sometimes, it doesn't even load features like Addthis or Share.

I have heard that bluehost is good but I don't know how to change and what exactly is the process.

I am not an HTML expert hence please guide me in simple steps as to how to change the domain and hosting servers from godaddy to bluehost.

PLEASE CONSIDER IT URGENT.

Thanks

Vaibhav

v4vaibhav, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  2. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bluehost and Godaddy are both owned by the same people...EIG (Endurance International Group). They are known for running some of the largest, but worst quality hosting there is. If you aren't happy with GoDaddy, there is a very good chance you aren't going to be happy with Bluehost either.

In any event, Godaddy uses their own proprietary control panel if I remember right, so transferring the content isn't necessarily going to be straight-forward. As far as changing the domain, it's just a matter of changing the nameservers at your registrar.

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  3. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. Can you pls suggest some good hosting options and also a step wise approach to do that.

I understand that shifting the content would be time taking and difficult but it would be worth an effort if it starts loading fast..

Another thought...exact problem that I am facing is...I have videos streaming in my website (not you tube) embed in wmv format ....and they are taking too much time to load and buffer which was not the case 3-4 days back (everything else is loading up pretty quickly)...so can there be a possibility that the problem I am facing is due to that?

4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How much effort it is going to take depends on what kind fo site you are running. Are you running a WordPress site or using databases? If so, you will likely have to dump the databases manually, then restore them on the new server. If you just have html pages or such and videos, it's just a matter of downloading them from the existing server and re-uploading them to the new one.

Remember that with shared hosting, you are going to be sharing the bandwidth pipe with hundreds (potentially thousands) of other users. The speed of your websites and loadtime of the videos can certainly be dependant on what other people are doing on the server at the time.

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  5. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am running a wordpress site. I upload my video in wmv format to the media library. Once it is saved, I embed it using the html code as given below

<p style="text-align: center;"><object id="MediaPlayer" width="360" height="360" classid="clsid:6bf52a52-394a-11d3-b153-00c04f79faa6" codebase=><param name="FileName" value="URL.wmv" />
    <param name="AutoStart" value="false" />
    <param name="ShowControls" value="true" />
    <param name="ShowStatusBar" value="true" />
    <param name="AutoSize" value="true" />
    <param name="InvokeURLs" value="false" />
    <param name="AnimationatStart" value="1" /><param name="TransparentatStart" value="1" />
    <param name="Loop" value="0" />
    <embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="URL.wmv" name="MediaPlayer" autostart="0" showstatusbar="1" showdisplay="0" showcontrols="1" loop="0" videoborder3d="1" pluginspage="width="360" height="360"></embed>
    </object></p>

So it is because of the busy servers due to shared hosting that these videos are loading slowly...if that's what you mean...

So is there any corrective measure which I can use in form a code or anything else, which can help loading of videos faster...? I don't want to use youtube because I want to directly coordinate with publishers for pre-roll video advertisements.

Thanks for your efforts in replying. I really appreciate your help.

6. mikey9911

mikey9911 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before you jump to another host check your plugins and theme.
    Many times the plugins slow down the worpdress install badly.
    If you need help PM me.

mikey9911, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  7. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It very well could be. It's hard to know. Do you have a link to your website or to these videos so we can give it a try and see the speed?

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ok, you need to avoid any hosting company that offers unlimited hosting (includes hostgator). Look into a VPS where it is a more secured environment, you will be less impacted by others on the server. OR go with ferngullygraphics.com, cost starts from $2 per month. This company is still shared hosting, but puts strict limits on resources that anyone can use. -> be sure to contact them first, as they might reject your site if it uses too many resources.

To change hosts, it is a simple process.You join the new hosting company. They will move your site for you and handle the initial nasty bit. They will give you the IP address of the server, or the domain name servers to use for your domain name.

You will need to put these settings into your domain name control panel, (instructions can be found on youtube, just google how to change DNS with goddady or something). Once you change the settings, people might still be viewing the old site, as it might take 48hours to point to the new site. It makes sense to join a new host days before you need to change, then change the DNS on say a friday afternoon to minimize interruptions to email service.

Keep your old site, and old server running for at least a week after you have changed hosts, just in case you find the new host to be unsuitable and need to move away from it.

matt_62, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  9. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress users should never upload videos in media library. Most of the WordPress blogs are hosted on shared platform and by uploading the videos the server resources are heavily consumed. I would suggest you to upload the videos on video sharing website like YouTube. After uploading the video in YouTube you just need to copy and paste the url into your WordPress post and the video can be watched from your WordPress blog itself. There are two benefits of these - 1. you save your hosting expenses coz you don't need to upgrade to a higher package like VPS or Dedicated Server. 2. You get traffic directly from video sharing websites as well.

MilesWeb, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  10. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My website link is www. howtocrackaninterview.com
    Thanks

11. v4vaibhav

v4vaibhav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks MilesGeek,

I understand what you mean but my sole purpose of uploading videos is to generate CPM revenues through pre-roll videos and other forms of video advertising. If I use Youtube, everything gets shared with youtube and type of ads running becomes youtube's discretion. I wish to get connected with publishers directly and run my own ads. That's the only reason, I started posting my own videos.

Pls advise.

12. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just looked at your site. The website itself is a little slow at times...takes a bit just for it to come up. Other times it's fast.

In any event, I'm not sure how exactly you have the videos set up, but it looks like it is trying to open/buffer all of them at once, which is definitely going to slow things down, depending on the user's Internet connection speed. If that is what is happening, or if the videos are trying to autoplay or such, you should change that, so that nothing tries to load until the user actually wants to play the video.

WSWD, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  13. samirj09

samirj09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

@ WSWD, You are actually wrong about GoDaddy and BlueHost being owned by EIG. Only BlueHost and a couple of other companies, like HostGator, are owned by EIG. GoDaddy is not owned EIG... yet.

samirj09, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  14. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you're right. Not really sure what I was thinking when I typed that. I knew they weren't owned by EIG. Doh! Sorry.

WSWD, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  15. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't upload videos to your site if you are using shared hosting. Just upload the videos to a site like youtube, dailymotion and embed it.

dumindushalika, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  16. luckynora

luckynora Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    I would also advise you to opt for a web hosting company that provides VPS (virtual private server) as it is more secured. Currently, cloudc.me is providing a free week trial on their VPS that provides you with a basic cloud server configuration. It gives you a chance to try before you buy. I have been with cloudc.me for two years and I really like their free DDOS protection and dedicated servers. Good luck :)

luckynora, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  17. seoagrippa

seoagrippa Active Member

Best Answers:
    check your account info email that was sent to you by BlueHost.com after signup. In it you will find your new nameservers, they will look something like "ns1.bluehost.com" and "ns2.bluehost.com" but may vary.Once you have your new nameservers, log into your GD control panel and change the domain's current nameservers to the ones provided by BlueHost. After that you will need to wait 24-48 hours for the domain to propagate worldwide once again, and it will be live with your BlueHost hosting account.Also.. As others have already mentioned, I would recommend against transferring your domain name to BlueHost.

seoagrippa, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  18. dakshhmehta

dakshhmehta Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I agree with all of above advices. Just to add, try enabling GZip Compression on your server for all type of files.

in WP Plugin Directory, there are couple of plugins available for you to install.

dakshhmehta, Mar 31, 2013 IP