1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Petition to revise the 'likes' system or remove it

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by evershawn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The spammers/useless members are easy to spot, it usually takes a couple seconds of looking at their posts - but then again I am a human. I have no issues with the new rule but I can appreciate that it catches some, for who it is perhaps it is a bit of a slap backwards. I know I had a ton of likes from helping people, but I also had a ton from my time playing around in the P&R section. I would probably have been pissed to have been here for years and then find out I was basically in purgatory until I re-proved myself. That being said, I don't know if there is a better bright line rule that could be put in place.

I do think the only real solution would be to allow a group of people whom Shawn trusts, perhaps only the moderators, to have the ability to give a 3-like or some equivalent to get some people who clearly are not the spammers the rule is trying to protect us from, back to an 'established' state of membership. I think it is this ability to use discretion that is the biggest failing. This is the same with all bright line rules. Judges complain all the time about sentences being forced by laws setting mandatory minimums because they do not allow a judge to use their discretion when the actual facts of a particular cases make the hard rule seem too rigid.

Short of allowing some human intervention to override the 3 likes rule when warranted, I don't think there is a better option.

browntwn, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  2. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No... I didn't say that. I just mentioned maybe adding a post count to avoid what you mentioned in the other post. Was just an idea, you mentioned being open to them...
    It's not a lower standard, I was saying in addition to.

lol no. There are still a lot though, People copying post from other sites, nothing new, and people posting old info, crappy info, whatever just to try and gain likes.

They are doing it anyway just to gain likes. I'm not saying my idea is perfect either, just a thought. Only having to get 3 likes makes it easier especially when there are hundreds of threads in other forums where people are doing DP like exchanges.

truth is the truth, nobodies fault but theirs.

well of course

indyonline, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  3. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    Spoiltdiva,

Advertising and writing do not go hand and hand, completely different styles. If you think that; you're surely bad at one or the other, if not both.

I'm not writing ads, I'm trying to make points and convey my thoughts. If I was writing an ad, it would be very different, shorter and less truthful. If you don't like reading my 'long winded, gas bag' posts, why do you keep doing it?

I work in advertising and marketing too, very successfully and for quite a long time. I know less is more and all of those great tag lines too. I fail to see how they apply to a discussion thread where the whole concept is based around writing meaningful replies and discussing your thoughts. In fact my opinion is the exact opposite of yours. I'm more annoyed with the one sentence replies that are effortless, offensive, ignorant and non-contributory to the topic. You're good at those while trying to apply the rouse of flattery at the same time. Even more insulting because that's actually more like calling someone what ever you called them that was insulting and then treating them like they're stupid at the same time. I held off on putting you in your place until like the 3rd or 4th time you did it. You're relentless, so I'm guessing you wanted a reaction from me and I delivered it. I figured it would make you happy.

You didn't touch a nerve with me by the way. This is an online forum and I don't know if that is even really possible. Dealing with asshats is nothing new in my line of work. You've tried labeling me a few times already. In fact rather than responding to the topic, you seem more likely to label someone. I thought a little touch of reality might be good for you.

I don't personally feel that you're the vibrant and adaptive post goddess of DP that you like to label yourself as. In fact your posts are typically off topic, insulting and meaningless as far as I can tell.

evershawn, Mar 24, 2013 IP
    browntwn and indyonline like this.
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh, maybe I misunderstood... you want people to have the minimum post count in *addition* to Likes?

Although to be honest, I don't really see the value in that... I'd much rather have someone post 1 really good post vs. 500 mediocre ones. Doing that would shift somewhat back to quantity over quality.

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  5. indyonline

Best Answers:
    IDk, I just think that with the 3 likes rules and a min post count might avoid the situation you mentioned in an earlier post.

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, you have to post at least ONE post in order to get a Like. And like I said, I really don't care at all about quantity... Just quality. So not really sure it would be that useful to force quantity on top of quality.

7. indyonline

Best Answers:
    This is the only reason I mentioned it.

--
    People don't have to contribute anything to get likes and be an established member. All they gotta do is join in on any discussion in general chat or P&R and get likes. That is not contributing IMO. It's too easy for these same crappy members to get around it.

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I meant in terms of rewarding someone for NOT breaking our rules. :)

9. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I give up. It don't affect me I just think that some older members are getting the shaft and something should be in place for them. Your site, your rules, nobody is going to change your mind.

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Like who? I'll take a look...

kingofking and browntwn like this.
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    All that a new member has to do is start a new thread. A thread where the member either shares something that he knows that benefits other members. Or something funny. Or whatever. It's about a natural flow of convo compared to "Yes sir, good post thank you ok bye".

I think that is a pretty good solution compared to let's say having the Marketplace separate and paid only.

And once the quality of posts builds up, you will see more members with something to offer, which should add a lot of useful information that all of us will be able to benefit from.

I actually like the SEO section now. Before it was unstandable, but I see a lot of good new members who have skills and are not afraid to share them.

Blogmaster, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  12. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I know...

13. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I know you do. I posted this in case some lost soul finds his way in here and panics thinking "How tf am I going to get likes when everyone here claim it is so incredibly hard".

Blogmaster, Mar 24, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  14. indyonline

Best Answers:
    oh ok. =)

Blogmaster likes this.
  15. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:

He he! Now its time for people to show who "really" the affected members are rather than saying members are affected. :) ."3 likes" is definitely a better stand off than the post counts and coming up with some generalized parameter which will be favorable for everyone is NOT something that is going to be easy!

kingofking, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  16. indyonline

Best Answers:
    true...

Not going to take the time to make a list...

I was saying in addition to... any spammer/scammer can get in way easier now...

17. kingofking

Best Answers:
    If getting 3 likes is way easier for spammers and scammers, then how does making the post count as an additional parameter help ? They can easily make post counts as well.

Also, if some "old" members are affected, let them post a request in this section with the proof that they were contributing in some way or the other and let the mod/owner decide whether to promote him/her as an "Established" member.

18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't need some master list or anything... but if you run across users who you think should be established, but aren't... can you let me know? I can't guarantee there would be an easy fix, but being able to dig in and evaluate some of those would be useful for figuring out a possible better system.

19. indyonline

Best Answers:
    It will help the older members like I mentioned and slow down the spammers and scammers. With heavier moderation and more people reporting threads it should be easier to deal with people padding their post counts...

20. kingofking

Best Answers:

evershawn has to read this to agree to the fact that members's concerns are being considered and its not just the owner who does a dictatorship here! I will also let you know if I find such "real" eligible members affected by new rule.