1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Copywriting Can Change the World

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Lynn C, Mar 21, 2013.

Copywriting can change the world and make it a better place.

What? Isn't copywriting all about money?

All about consumerism? How can copywriting do anything but sell stuff?

Well, the answer is YES, copywriting is about SELLING things...but it CAN SELL IDEAS too.

Think about it for a second. Doesn't a charity NEED good copy? Doesn't the RED CROSS or RED CRESCENT need GOOD COPY to get their message out?

Sure, copywriters are business people, but they are also human-beings who have things and causes they care about.

If you are a copywriter, why not take your skills now and then and offer your services FREE of CHARGE to a worthy cause or organization.

That's what doctors and nurses do now and then, they volunteer their skills in under served places in the world on a temporary basis.

So that is my thought and challenge to copywriters: Now and then, do some FREE WORK for a worthy cause or organization. Help the group you support to get their message out...or to raise funds.

As a copywriter you have some pretty unique and valuable skills.

Now and then (not always because you need to work to live) use your skills to help others.

Copywriting can change the world for the better...a little bit at a time.

Thoughts?

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ask Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Aristides, Voltaire, Rousseau, Nietzsche and other philosophers how successful the've been at changing the world. Famous poets and authors haven't had much success either.
    Jesus Christ, Mohammed and Buddah didn't do it, you think copywriters can where these others have failed?

Nice romantic thought, but really human nature is what it is......*it* doesn't want to change.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  3. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    This is interesting. I've been reflecting along the lines of changing the world but I've been thinking more of cultural things: music and so on. Words might get a look in there if we consider choral music (ie with words). If this will lead to post/counter post and so on, I'll rapidly move on to a thought I had when I read the initial post.

As a way of 'spreading the love' and perhaps doing oneself a favor too, one might do some free charity work. That was my thought there.

axxil, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Changing the world, well it doesn't need anyone in particular to change, it is always changing :)
    But yes, if doing voluntary work for organisation that YOU think are worthy and it makes you feel good, then do it. Enjoy your life and don't regret either you do it or not.
    But don't think too high of yourself or any organisation you help, be realistic a little bit, or just stay naive, up to you, it's your life afterall :)

JamesColin, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  5. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    One can but try.
    Maybe you are right, but what I am saying is use your skills to try and make a difference. Your skill as a writer is a valuable asset, and charitable organizations may need your help.

The same could be true for designers, marketers, etc...

Business people and online entrepreneurs have some really valuable skills that a charitable organization may not have.

I am just suggesting using your skill now and then in a different venue.

Maybe it won't make a huge difference, but maybe it could help one person in a small way.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  6. Jomuli3

Jomuli3 Guest

Best Answers:
    Copywriting can change the world. It should not only be used to make money. Its principles are applicable to a lot of areas in life where PERSUASION is required. Its principles are so strong that they can cause a revolution as it raises people's emotions and desires to irresistible levels.

A few years ago I tried to use my copywriting skill to persuade people to elect a candidate. I wanted my copy to be sent to every voter on the roll. I discovered what people wanted. I figured out their skepticism.
    I also searched for their fears. I focused my copy on these things.

I got as many candidate features as possible. Skillfully, I converted each of them into benefits. With what I could call a unique selling proposition hovering over my copy, I made my candidate stand out.

Somewhere in my copy I narrated a story of bribed people who voted for a very weak candidate. I showed the consequential effect of their decision --- it was disastrous !

I don't need to go on and on. I just wanted to point out that copywriting can be used in other areas of life where persuasion is required.

We can surely change the world with copywriting skill!

Jomuli3, Mar 26, 2013 IP
    Lynn C likes this.
  7. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

Lynn C, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  8. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That is exactly what I was talking about. Copywriting skills are communication and persuasion skills and can be used for getting people to understand anything...not just for selling products.

That is a great story about how you used your skills in the election.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 26, 2013 IP