1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How We Get "likes" ?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by love2all, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    I have been a member here since 2006. I mostly come here to buy and sell rather than converse with people. I don't think everyone is suited or would prefer to be tech support for DP in order to get likes. If we are adding to the market place are we not considered as valuable of members? I had a good trader rating and contributed there with some legitimate and good business transactions for the DP community, is there no credit or value in that? What happened to my iTrader rating? Why is that not a factor in my legitimacy as a member?

I submit that your new 'rating' system is highly flawed and you may end up doing more harm with your long time members that helped build DP to what it is, than good for them. Just a thought from the other end of the spectrum.

evershawn, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @evershawn,
    Fair enough, but kindly tell us what *you* would do to reduce the number of spammers on here. What exactly would you replace the 3 like system with? Do you propose going back to the way things were?
    By the way, just because there have been changes made, that doesn't mean that traders such as yourself are not considered to have any value, that is just your take on it.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  3. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva -
    If I can no longer place Buy / Sell ads in the marketplace because I don't have 3 'likes' nor enough time to go around 'helping newbies' until I have been 'liked' enough, then it certainly does push the old timers like myself out, especially when I was primarily here to just trade, buy and sell. I personally feel I contributed a lot to that from all sides of the table. That was really my only stomping ground. I had plenty of mutually satisfactory deals go through and I was clearly a trusted trader here with no quarrels.

How can spam be prevented? Was that the reason this new revolutionary system was put in to place? I can think of at least 2 dozen better ways to fight spam just off the top of my head and none of them have to do with putting proven, long time members with no issues through such a hassle or locking them up doing volunteer tech support for DP in order to 're-earn' their right to participate in the marketplace.

Is this a bad idea for new members? No, not the worst one in the world. Certainly will turn the marketplace activity down a notch but if there are OLD members that are spamming you simply filter them out with good old fashioned moderation and banning. If this was my forum (of which I've owned many) I don't think I'd be quite THAT harsh even to new members. Then again, I don't know how severe the spamming problem is here and perhaps it's a necessary measure to get it under control. Either way, I strongly disagree that members which have been on the site for 7+ years should be subject to this new 'likes' process just to be able to participate at the same level they've always have.

Also, keep in mind that dedicated and persistent spammers and scammers will happily go through what ever process you throw in front of them more willingly than legitimate members. Nothing is superior to good ole' human supervision. Things like this can help with that but I don't think it's properly balanced, implemented, or focused the correct group of high risk people.

So, more harm than good.... that's where I stand.... I'm not sure that this was entirely thought out or A/B tested after just simply being a light bulb above someone's head.

The sheer amount of complaints and problems I've read in the last 10 minutes alone that have to do with this seem to back up my feelings here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
    evershawn, Mar 20, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  4. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Evershawn - for God's sake - what a long moan! It's a lot easier to go with the flow than try to persuade the forum mods to behave differently. No dout the owners discussed long and hard before adopting this policy. As you, who have run "many forums", will surely realise.

Tell you what, here's a like. It's not to be patronising - it's because I think you maybe be persuaded to help other members here. If so, now you only need two. If not, no harm done.

The length of post you just wrote, you could surely have had "enough time to go around 'helping newbies' " - maybe even enough newbies to get another 2 likes.

I see it must be annoying, but I think there's no benefit fighting it...

Best, Malc :)

malcsimm, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @malcsimm
    Yes I have to agree that it was "a long moan!" But it was a well written moan, you have to give him that.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  6. love2all

love2all Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate your beautiful quote :)
    Yes! Slow and Steady ............................. Sure Wins the Race ;)

love2all, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  7. Djordy

Djordy Member

Best Answers:

+1 , not sure where to find this like button, but If I knew where to find it I will give you as much likes as I can haha

Djordy, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  8. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That's because it's very shy, apparently you have to coax it out with something interesting, funny or informative etc...;)

malky66, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  9. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    @Djordy

You can't 'give' likes until you have 3 unique likes given to you.

Nevermind malky, he's been off his meds for a bit now and is fighting an uphill battle against the world. Don't take his trolling personally.

evershawn, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  10. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well he would know that if he bothered to read the help section, or even read one of the hundreds of retarded threads on the subject
    ....and in steps "Mr Buzz Killington" the biggest buzzkill on the forum, I bet you have the ability to clear a room full of people just by walking through the door...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    malky66, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  11. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess in this case you could just not say anything or if you're a real asshat you could say what you said. I find it interesting that you'll go out of your way to troll someone and post more than what it would have taken to just help them instead.

You seem like a really angry person. Have you considered seeing someone? You seem like you have the ability to walk in to a room full of people and be mad at all of them for something.

Must be a wait to add you to a friend list with your delightful demeanor and sprightly vigor! I wonder many hundred negative all of your ratings would be if members had the ability to rate that way. Food for thought.

evershawn, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  12. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Me??, im not angry at all, i just despise people like you who think they know it all and assume everyone else is wrong.
    Perhaps you should just get yourself a sense of humour.

malky66, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  13. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

I bet you can write that without even feeling like a hypocrite. Reading forum posts do not normally trigger an actual physical laugh but you're literally such a delusional imbecile that reading your posts make me laugh at you.

Does that qualify as a sense of humor?

14. Princess Aiyanaa

Princess Aiyanaa Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all sorry for my English. I am really new here and got a like simply by sharing my views. Every one should try to give best that can be helpfull for the community. And you can get like by helping the new comers like me. I am still not familiar with this forums but trying my best so that I can utilize my skills and knowledge for the benefits and also want to learn a lot from all respected senior users here. There is not any hard and fast defined rules to get likes, It's a simple process as others cores of your daily life. So just help the other, use your knowledge and experience, use your humor andd bring a smile on the faces of the people, give your fair opinion. be consistent. It's tough to get 3 likes but everything which we get by hardwork have great value. :)

Princess Aiyanaa, Mar 28, 2013 IP
    GeeOne and Spoiltdiva like this.
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Princess Aiyanaa
    Another good post, I am starting to be quite impressed with you.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  16. Princess Aiyanaa

Princess Aiyanaa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Spoiltdiva...........
    It's all due to inspiration by you. I am really inspired by your writing and guiding style.
    keep it up and have a nice and happy day......:)

Princess Aiyanaa, Mar 28, 2013 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @malky66
    Apologies for going off topic here but.......I'm sorry to see that you won't be with us for a bit. I do appreciate humor but the mods have just sent us a clear message by your being banned.
    While we are allowed to use humor, even sarcastic stuff....we need to be mindful not to insult. I myself have *often* been guilty of that.
    Anyway Malky, many of us will miss you and look forward to your return.;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    malky66 likes this.
  18. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You said it in short and also very sweetly, this the way for getting likes :)

I am very sure you are going to be a good member at DP.

See you around.

G!

GeeOne, Mar 28, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  19. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

The posts you see are only part of what he's doing. He's also sending PM's (out of the blue I might add) filled with vulgarity and name calling. I'm sure when the mod got my report he likely did the same with them and fully earned his ban. Joking aside, the guy needs to get some help. He literally loses control of his emotions and just says what ever comes to mind.

20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If indeed he has been sending out vulgar PM's, then clearly he was out of line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.