1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site was DDoS attacked... Looking for a new host :/

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Kinda Intellectual, Mar 18, 2013.

So apparently one of my sites was the victim of a DDoS attack, and my host suspended my account and pretty much told me to get my ish and go. So now I'm in the market for a new host.

I think I've narrowed it down between HostGator (it seemse highly recommended), HostMonster (Good price, and very friendly support), and GoDaddy (I have most of my domains there, and pretty good prices).

Any thoughts or comments on these host would be great because I really have no idea which to go with, as they all seem to have their ups and downs as well as good prices.

Also my hosting company gave me a full backup of my account and I was told the log detailing the attack was in the backup, anybody have any idea what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Kinda Intellectual, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  2. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is it hacked?

Well the same problem occur with me. Two option are there
    - First download the backup and check with antivirus
    or
    - Upload to another server and check with sucuri.

No idea about, all above three host. You have to move on DDOS protected hosting. And do not use cloudflare which is useless. Cloudflare, only clean the files nothing else.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    humtuma, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  3. Kinda Intellectual

Kinda Intellectual Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely check my backup with antivirus, it'll probably take a while (it's a 1+ gb file). As far as I know it was just attacked but I'll definitely check.

Is it possible that the DDoS attack could be a one time thing, I ask because I briefly looked around for DDoS protected hosting and it's a bit more expensive than shared hosting which is all I (think) I really need for my sites for now.

4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DDoS protected hosting is most definitely going to be more expensive than normal hosting, as real DDoS protection hardware (not some software/firewall nonsense) is very expensive. There's definitely an equipment cost associated with that, that isn't associated with standard hosting.

By the way, Hostgator and Hostmonster will not fool around with DDoS attacks. They just offer basic network/server-level protection on the whole. You start getting large attacks, and you will simply be suspended.

If you can afford a VPS/cloud VPS, there ar a lot of REALLY good and popular DDoS protected hosts out there.

WSWD, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  5. Kinda Intellectual

Best Answers:
    Thanks WSWD,
    Is there any you could recommend?

6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely!

securedragon.net
    awknet.com (though they only sell dedicated servers, as far as I remember)
    staminus.net
    blacklotus.net
    buyvm.com

All are very reputable for DDoS protection.

WSWD, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  7. Kinda Intellectual

Best Answers:
    Thanks, securedragon.net is a little more within my price range. I'll definitely be looking into them.

Again Thanks, probably wouldn't have found that host on my own lol

8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome!!

They're a fairly new company, but the guys who run it have been in the hosting industry for a long, long time. They are also small enough to care about their clients, which you aren't going to get with the big companies.

WSWD, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  9. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can try tmdhosting.com,interserver.net shared hosting. Other wise move on blacklotus.net

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    humtuma, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  10. justinwatson

justinwatson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What kind of websites you want to run,kind of java based or windows based or linux?so that I simply suggst you for the best one?

justinwatson, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  11. Kinda Intellectual

Best Answers:
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I decided to go with securedragon.net.
    @justinwatson I right now just wordpress and html sites for my product/service

Kinda Intellectual, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  12. Chimpie

Chimpie Member

Best Answers:
    I've been with HostGator now for over five years and my server and the service I've received continues to get better every year. I've visited both of their Houston and Austin offices, met with both entry level and senior staff and I'm thoroughly impressed with them.

Chimpie, Mar 20, 2013 IP