1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do I need an SSL Certifticate

Discussion in 'Security' started by avantemedia, Mar 18, 2013.

Hi,

I will be taking bank details only, just sort code and account number and I am unsure if i need an SSL. Everywhere I read people talk about it only being for credit/debit card detail.

The site will only take them on the basis of a financial credit check, no card details at all!

avantemedia, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  2. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For bank details, you must have SSL certificate.

humtuma, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  3. Eased

Eased Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anytime you are processing or storing sensitive banking or payment information a SSL certificate is needed.

Eased, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  4. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The SSL Certificate will protect your customers from scamming sites who stolen your template and make a clone.

Hostname.club, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  5. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope that isn't correct. Having an SSL installed over a domain would encrypt the communication between your server and the users web browser. This ensures that the information is passed across via. a secure channel. So if you are asking your visitors/customers to populate certain fields with confidential details such as contacts, emails, credit/debit card etc. you can be rest assured that it isn't hijacked in between.

Markwebuk, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  6. jusob

jusob Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You'll need SSL to ensure that the traffic from your customer to your website cannot be sniffed (for example if the customer uses an open wireless network in a coffee shop). It also allows your user to check that they are visitng the right site (see Phishing site and DNS poisining).

But you also need to worry about keeping the bank information safe. That's why most website use a 3rd party service (PayPal, Stripe, etc.) to offload the management of CC information.

jusob, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  7. sandycooper

sandycooper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For keeping secure banking details you must need SSL certificate.SSL certificate help you to protect your most valuable assets, your customers and your brands, by protecting them from phishing scams and online fraud.

sandycooper, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  8. Thibaut

Thibaut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By the way, if you don't use a SSL channel, for sure your clients won't accept to pay you online :)

Thibaut, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  9. Registernuke

Registernuke Member

Best Answers:
    In regards to your opening question, the short answer is no.
    Visitors will still be able to provide the information that you requested on your site.
    The long answer is yes. The reason behind that statement is that most people will not provide such information on a site that is not secured. I have seen many sites just with a simple submit form for just general information and the site is encrypted with an SSL cert.
    It comes down to ensuring customer confidence. Let customers know their details are safe and protected. In addition the cost is very minimal , a basic SSL Cert costs around $50 per year.
    It helps minimize the probability of a visitor/client to leave your site based on lack of security.

Registernuke, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  10. Roger Pelt

Roger Pelt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you force users to login your website.? If your answer is yes, than you must have SSL on your website.

In my suggestion, whether you are accepting credit card details, their confidential details or you just requires basic bank details; any of above phase you should encrypt your site with SSL. You should encrypt login details of your valuable clients and install an SSL Certificate wont have any disadvantage. It will help your website to gain visitor trust.

Roger Pelt, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  11. avantemedia

avantemedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have taken the majority of advice on here and now set up an SSL thank you for your input guys

avantemedia, Apr 14, 2013 IP