1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me find a template to buy for my website via themeforest

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Austin Tucker, Mar 14, 2013.

Looking for a website template for my website called "TopTopPromos." Its basically a website where you can get deals, coupon codes, for websites! A layout kinda like this http://www.redflagdeals.com/in/niagara-falls/coupons/. For coupon codes and stuff. Another website would be "RetailMeNot"

Austin Tucker, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  2. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Look under CMS or eCommerce for themes on themeforest for Group Sales or Coupon themes. Make sure you purchase the correct theme for the CMS or eCommerce platform your website is operating on.

muffet, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  3. merlin77

merlin77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just use couponpress -
    http://couponpress.com/

here's the demo -
    http://couponpress.premiumpresslimited.com/

merlin77, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  4. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @merlin77

Great advice!

sweeper240, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  5. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Bretheon Premium WordPress Theme seems to be very customizable, and could work for a coupon site.

http://themeforest.net/item/bretheon-premium-wordpress-theme/4001061

sweeper240, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So what you're saying is you want a website built from total inaccessible crap? Have fun with that.

deathshadow, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  7. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is that a reference to the OP or the proposed design/layout they linked? Just curious because I want to identify what is inaccessible crap, and stay away from that too!

sweeper240, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Both. I have NEVER seen a off the shelf template, particularly for turdpress, that was worth a flying purple fish. They are universally a bad idea since content should dictate markup, which is why the normal approach of building a template before you even have content is completely back-assward... much less almost ALL of them are crapped out by some 'designer' in Photoshop who doesn't know enough HTML, CSS or Accessibility to be designing a blasted thing!

Take that 'brethon' theme in it's "wide" flavor -- while it's nice to see responsive layout, it's inaccessible fixed metric fonts and illegible color contrasts basically piss away any of the accessibility those media queries gave it. The goofy serif fonts on screen also have accessibility issues (serif is for print, sans-serif is for screen...) and one look at the code shows that if this is their idea of "accessible" or "SEO Optimized" they need a quadruple helping of sierra tango foxtrot uniform, and to go back and learn how to write HTML. The heading orders are complete gibberish - like say... H5 with no H4, H3, H2 OR H1 preceeding them? H6 where the previous is a H5? That's inaccessible garbage. 1.5 megabytes in 127 files showing nothing but placeholder content, two-fifths of that being SCRIPTING? FOR WHAT?

HTML 5 for nothing crap, that STUPID MALFING BS Paul Irish came up with of nesting a bunch of IE conditionals around the HTML tag as some pathetic attempt to cover up developer ineptitude?

... and that's before we even talk the normal turdpress crap of endless pointless wrapping DIV for nothing, nothing remotely resembling proper use of those highly touted (and ultimately useless) HTML 5 tags, much less god forbid they actually tried practicing separation of presentation from content or semantic markup... the endless idiotic garbage classes on everything for NO good reason, etc, etc... Which of course is how one ends up with 57k of HTML to deliver 2.8k of plaintext and less than a dozen content images -- anywhere from six to eight times as much code as should have been used on such a simple page!

Off the shelf CMS are rubbish enough, without the fatass bloated broken inaccessible train wrecks of stupidity provided by sleazeball scam artist BS like ThemeForest. 99% of which IMHO has no business being used for ANYTHING other than examples on how not to build a website.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    wiicker95 likes this.
  9. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I wish I could double and triple like this post. Its so close to the truth is scathing... I wonder, do you do custom Wordpress templates (or prefer full custom CMS even for a blog/tech site)? I have a few site concepts that I'd like at some time to produce. I have tried in the past to do my own designs but I never have the time to implement my vision and don't have the full knowledge of HTML5 and CSS that you clearly have.

10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I'm now retired, but even before I retired I finally put in place the policy where you couldn't pay me to work with wordpress anymore. I actually told my biggest client that if they wanted to go that route, GOODBYE. Naturally they've lost around half their traffic since then.

I'm not a fan of off the shelf solutions, never have been -- they are always little more than using Jezza's magic tool to make that square peg fit into the round hole. (Or is it Uncle Red... no, he'd just duck-tape it down)

11. sweeper240

sweeper240 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I know you are correct... wish I knew someone like you or had even a shadow of your experience in web development... do you have any samples or sites that are still up?

12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    My own personal site:
    http://www.deathshadow.com

and one of my project sites:
    http://www.ewiusb.com

Both run the same basic homebrew system under the hood, both take accessibility norms into consideration and are designed with responsive, elastic and semi-fluid methodologies...

You can also take a gander at the massive directory of people I've helped at:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/

Many of which are complete rewrites of sites people came to forums like this with small questions that to be honest, were just indicative of deeper rooted problems. Excuse the dates being all 'current', I JUST did a restore from a backup after my host was hacked AGAIN. I REALLY need to get back to a dedicated server whether I can afford it or not!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously, I can't think of a better way to spend a hundred bucks per month. You're your own boss: you can run the software you want, you can optimize and tweak it according to your needs, there is just no alternative.

wiicker95, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    More like $60, but that's because I don't want a 'managed' server and can usually make an Atom 330 with 2 gigs of RAM do things most people would waste a dual Xeon quad core with 16 gigs of RAM on. Amazing what bothering to optimize your SQL and PHP cache settings can do. There's a company I usually deal with who gives me a vanilla debian install JUST brought up enough to SSH into it, and everything else is up to me -- just my style; no malfing idiotic cpanel or other 'panel' crap getting in the way.

deathshadow, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  15. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well yeah, that was just a rough estimation. It also depends who you get it from.

wiicker95, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  16. Lorelei

Lorelei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't buy a template just because it has coupons script incorporated into it, it's a lot better to choose ANY theme of your liking (preferably wordpress, as coupons site will be frequently updated and you wouldn't want to go through update process manually). Then, just add a plugin that incorporates the "deals / coupons" options into the existing template, the most flexible is probably WP deals by http://wpdeals.me/ (tokokoo or something). That will give you utmost security + no need to compromise on the design you want just because the template already has this plugin in it. You can do it with very little investment, since WP deals plugin is free.

Lorelei, Mar 18, 2013 IP