1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why I Think Google Is Slowly But Surely Loosing On Quality

Discussion in 'Google' started by siteurl, Feb 3, 2013.

?

Do you agree?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Cant say

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Being a major source of traffic, that is a dumb idea. However, webmasters do need to diversify more for traffic. Just like a real world business does (for customers).

Their algorithm to tweak - and for a good reason they had to; the volume of spam created by black hats/SEOs needed to be reduced. This idiotic, formulaic approach of "SEO" is just a bundle of spam that is flooding all search engines. So, why shouldn't anyone who runs a search engine have a filter for spam? Get rid of the crappy article submission+forum spam+blog comment spam+blog networks+web 2.0+wiki spam+social bookmarks moron approaches people take to fill the web with crap.

Absolute rubbish. The Google guidelines and recommendations have remained the same. They are just now enforced more often by updates. By much improved updates.

Can't handle it? Get out of SEO/making websites.

99% of the cases - pure spam/black hat methods/link spam, the other 1% is ignorance of guidelines (such as link schemes). Whether someone did it themselves or paid someone, they only have themselves to blame. Like if you hire someone to run your real world business and they run it into the ground, can only blame yourself for not managing the situation better.

Digg lost traffic because it was spammed like crazy by so-called SEOs and webmasters, ended up with a whole lot of crap content and links. The whole social bookmarking thing was spammed and devalued.

Exactly, a private company and can decide what it wants to do with search results - leave them as rubbish, make them better, etc. Fortunately, it chose to make them better.

ryan_uk, Mar 14, 2013 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  2. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    What are you expecting? It's a big city. If you search for a specific hotel then you will find it:

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...osing-on-quality.2632852/page-3#post-18479658

If you're so vague ("London hotels", for example), then what do you expect? Every search engine will provide you with a similar experience.

This does not mean a search engine is low quality or has lost quality.

As for the rest of your post, it is just a lot of crying with a tinfoil hat on. "Oh no, Google penalised me, I'll talk about BS conspiracy theories."

ryan_uk, Mar 14, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have to agree there. Google is absolutely not losing quality. Just the playing field has to submit to rules now.

Blogmaster, Mar 14, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  4. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh Man!!! You are thinking I have lost out in SEO

Not at all. I am doing good amount of money doing SEO and making my clients extremely happy.

But in this process, I found out that Google has left everything out to the SEOs to make sites come up in results and its formula has nothing.

Anyway, I do not understand why all of you looking this post from SEO angle? I am looking for an user angle discussion.

Please read this carefully.

• Google says 110,000 times [hotels in london] is searched. Many of you are saying it is a general search. It may be general for you but not for a common internet user. Even if you pose as an SEO and go to hotel abc in london and offer SEO services and say I will make your site come in top when people search "Hotel ABC in London", he will laugh as it would be already coming in 1st place in 99% cases. He will ask you, can you make it come on 1st page/ 2nd page for hotels in london.
    • Even this guy will think of either doing SEM with Google or Advertising in hotel directory which is already in 1st page instead of worrying about SEO. In the end, Google is promoting paid ads everywhere in Internet.
    • Which hotel owner will sell links to a competitive hotel for Google to penalize for link selling? May be some people would have purchased links but it will be unlikely from a hotel site in london. So Google just need to think on honouring link values instead of just thinking who is selling/buying what.
    I strongly believe that Google will roll back many changes which it did in last few updates when actually SEO was actually tough.

siteurl, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You clearly have lost the plot.

That didn't really make any sense.

I'm looking at it from a user angle. I gave examples of hotels I searched and found at #1, contrary to some moronic claims in this thread. As a user, I would be so happy to find the right result at #1, wouldn't you?

HotelS. Plural. Hotels in London, not hotel.

As you can read here, all the specific hotels I searched for were at #1. This means: 100%. The search engine has done the right job.

You're very naive and looking at it from a crying SEO's view. They are going to make Panda part of their algorithm.

A user point of view - Google's search results are much better now than two years ago and far better than 8-10 years ago (when keyword stuffed pages and cloaking seemed to be difficult for them to deal with). User point of view - they are not going to remove this improved search experience for a few whiny SEOs.

ryan_uk, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  6. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you boss. You are genius. You know how to ignore what someone is trying to say.

My point is so simple

If I am looking for a "hotel in london" as a user (Not as an SEO), it is better for me to go to
    expedia.com
    tripadvisor.com
    hoteldirect.co.uk

etc.

This is not because I am penalized by Google. It is just because Google thinks that these are the websites one should check if you are looking for "Hotel/hotels in London" rather than checking at google.com

Google is conceding defeat but Google fans do not think so. This is true for any other product/service search. Google has become search engine of directories.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    siteurl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    What you are trying to whine about say is wrong.

A search for "hotel in London" gives eight results for HOTELS (shock, horror!) in London. What a surprise. You are ignoring how search engines (Bing included, yes) have changed and include local search.

ryan_uk, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  8. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never complained that what Google doing is wrong! It is a business they will take decisions in their interests.

My point was very simple! Web results of Google are not better compared to what used to come say 2 years back.

If you now want to say that, Hey man why not you look at the ads? The quality has highly increased.

How can I help it? If Google local is better, so it Bing's local search.

Anyway, lots of work here. I concede defeat to you :)

siteurl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Why don't you look at the income Google has generated in the past few years and see if the trend goes up. If they are making money, then what else is there? What exactly are we arguing about here?

Blogmaster, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  10. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never said Google profit is declining.

It has definitely increased. Now you can pay money and get ranking for search results (Althogh Google terms it as adwords, it is really very difficult to distinguish the ads from results for a average user)

siteurl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    well yes, they simply replaced seo spam with paid ads

12. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:

Does that not support what I am saying?

siteurl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    yes it does, just thinking out loud here. Google never wanted to get rid of spam, but use the spammers to teach them how they themselves can monitize down the line. (just my thoughts)

14. courtneyweeks

courtneyweeks Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has become annoying and sometimes frustrating

courtneyweeks, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  15. Irop Paze

Irop Paze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on you definitions of spam, replace, and quality. If you are using traditional definitions, then only way it would support your claim is if you like spam more than paid ads or you feel that spam is of better quality than paid ads.

Irop Paze, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    My guess would be paid ads provide a better service than low quality spam. If the site owners invest money into their advertising, chances are they also invest money into a business model and provide a satisfactory service.

So while Google monetizes more and more, the overall quality might actually increase. At least a little bit.

17. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:

Easy to eliminate spam as they do not have any bonding with Google.

Once you receive money, you have multiple obligations.

siteurl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  18. Irop Paze

Irop Paze Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have been careful not to answer most questions and your remarks don't have depth. My assumption is that you are a spammer that became profitable manipulating SEO. Now, you are earning lower ranks and getting less traffic because of paying customers and better spam controls.

No company has to take money from someone that they don't want to do business with. However, some do and that is either a dependency or greed, but that's not what you are arguing.

I'm actually not sure what you are arguing anymore since you put spam in a higher class than paying customers.

Irop Paze, Mar 16, 2013 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    What exactly is the issue then? Google runs a business and so do you. Unless there is a partnership in place, neither side is obligated towards the other.

Blogmaster, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  20. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen many people before. I am avoiding getting personal. All the best.

siteurl, Mar 17, 2013 IP