1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The time is coming for a sanctioning body to intervene

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Former DMOZ Editor: Nice 7 year old thread bump. That takes guts and has to be some kind of record here!

jimnoble, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  2. Former DMOZ Editor

Former DMOZ Editor Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! 7 Years is not the problem. As long as the truth be told in the end :)

Former DMOZ Editor, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that you want YOUR version of the truth and not the REAL truth.

snooks, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  4. computerguy555

computerguy555 Member

Best Answers:
    there is nothing really you can do, expect work harder for the high quality links from other places.

computerguy555, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  5. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get listed in DMOZ or NOT

Step 1. "Submit"
    Step 2. "Forget"

By the way look at some of the categories in DMOZ at the bottom you can see when that category was last updated, some have not been updated in 10 years believe it or not, I seen a lot that havn't been updated for 5 years as well.

Nicholas Pope, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a bug in the system.

Anonymously, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  7. Former DMOZ Editor

Former DMOZ Editor Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear snooks, you accuse me of not wanting others to say their 'truth' but isn't that the same that you, at DMOZ, are doing on your forums, daily? Deleting people's account without even giving them a chance at discussing what the problem is about? Also not giving opportunity for users to ask what about their submission, and so forth.

So you accuse me of doing this which is what you do on a daily basis.

The REAL truth you say? Let's see which one is it? The one written in uppercase? The one that speaks it last? The one who says more bullshits to cover up other people arguments? The one that spends more time writing about it?

Look, I have no direct interests in saying what I am saying, instead you do have plenty of interests in covering it up and claiming we are wrong. And what pisses me off, is that if you didn't have to spend your day reading about left and right what people say about dmoz, to cover it up answering with bullshits, you would have time to go get those damn 'delayed submission' to be finally reviewed and accepted.

This really pisses me off. They spend hours every day arguing about stupid stuff on all forums and then they claim there is no enough time to get the submission reviewed. Ah!

Former DMOZ Editor, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RAFLMAO....So you get pissed off because i dont do my hobby fast enough for your liking? Kinda rude of you, dont you think? We arent here to help webmasters gain seo advantages, we are here to do our hobby which is simply organising websites in a set order. If the webmasters want us to be something we arent, that isnt my fault. If they want guaranteed listing in a specified period, that also isnt my fault.

As for the conspiracy theory, cloaks and daggers, Editors evicted for no reason.......yeh right :( I bet you also think Elvis is secretly editing from his hideout in Cambodia :)

snooks, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  9. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Editor accounts are only removed when there is sufficient proof of editorial abuse to convince 5 or more meta editors with no objections. The due process is described here

If you truly believe that your account was removed for no reason, either PM me your editor name or raise an abuse report so that your claim can be checked. I'm pretty sure that you'll do neither.

jimnoble, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You must have a reason to bother coming on here making an idiot of yourself with silly allegations and why don't you go and find something useful to do with your spare time. I tell you what i will send you a PM of how to spend all your spare time in the next 12 months. I am sure you will love doing all the great things I have in mind for your spare time.

What you don't want me to tell you how to spend your spare time, you think I have a cheek even suggesting it! But you have just told editors how to spend their spare time, no going on DP to spend some time, just go and work at your hobby LOL. And obviously when you put some time in on DMOZ you broke the rules and got sacked and now you are pickled in your own vitriol and abusive to editors who have been on DMOZ for years, done thousands of edits and are held in high regard.

Anonymously, Mar 12, 2013 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

LOL. The usual blah, blah. Who are you trying to fool, people or yourself? I suppose when someone has achieved nothing in life with the exception of becoming "important" in DMOZ, that person has to hang on to the the illusion that DMOZ and his position is something which is really important or matters. :)

gworld, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Better than you being an editor and being booted

Anonymously, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  13. Former DMOZ Editor

Former DMOZ Editor Peon

Best Answers:
    The only reason I am spending my time saying how things work in DMOZ is because I care about the internet and was very offended by being removed without a reason. I am not telling them how they should spend their free time, but they are the ones who decided to dedicate some of their time editing DMOZ, then they are the ones not doing it but spending lots of time replying to complaints. Usually, when complaints are unfunded, people just ignore them and don't need to spend much time trying to convince others that the complain was unfunded. So you are proving the opposite.

Also if I shouldn't be wasting my time here, they why are you?

The thing is, if editors didn't have anything to hide, why did they hide it then? And I mean they hide the whole story about editors removed and their friends also removed and the friend of the friend of the friend also removed.

And @Anonymously you insinuate that when I spent time on DMOZ I broke the rules, which is very mean because you don't know me and also know nothing about what I did as a contributor to DMOZ.
    I was looking forward for your PM about how to spend my time but I didn't seem to receive it. Please send it again, but don't suggest me to volunteer to edit dmoz as a hobby, plz.

And @jimnoble you say: "If you truly believe that your account was removed for no reason, either PM me your editor name or raise an abuse report so that your claim can be checked. I'm pretty sure that you'll do neither."

I have already done both. I never received a reply. The same people who decide on removals are the ones who view and review and take these decisions anyway. I read those "Meta Editor Guidelines" and there is nothing I have ever done that closely can be associated with anything in there. Plus I was not given a chance to discuss or appeal about the reasons of my removal.

If you want to review my case, go give a reply to all editors who left you private message in DMOZ about 'Editor Abuse' and 'Editor Removal', to whom you never replied.

And @snooks, I am not pissed off because some editors do their 'hobby' at their own peace. Go read, that I wrote. I am pissed off because their claim there is too many submissions and not enough time, while the most of time spent is actually to answer complaints about people who doesn't get their submission added, or who complaints that editors are breaking the rules. So they are actually hooked up at spending more time to handle the business, than a hobby would make anyone normally spend.

Also DMOZ is not about "we are here to do our hobby which is simply organising websites in a set order." DMOZ should be about "helping to build the most comprehensive and widely distributed Directory of the Web." From DMOZ guidelines, I also read that: "Editors select, evaluate, describe and organize Web sites. They are responsible for reviewing submissions to their categories, and list sites according to prescribed editorial guidelines. "

So what you call a hobby, it should be supposed to a responsibility. Yes as a volunteer, but still is not like a hobby. A hobby is something you do on which you might be or not be skilled and on which it doesn't matter if the result is of good or bad quality, you do it for your own fun. A hobby is something you do as you want, and there is nobody that relies on the fact of whether you did it following the rules or not. While volunteering for such a project should be done with the right amount of effort and responsibility, and following rules and guidelines.

Former DMOZ Editor, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I can find no evidence of that. Please PM your editor name to me here at DP.

jimnoble, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some people simply are not interested to kiss ass, be corrupt and misuse a volunteer organization to make few bucks because they have a life and can make a honest living. ;):)

gworld, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Except that you were booted for being corrupt!!!!!

Anonymously, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. If I was booted for being corrupt then people in DMOZ didn´t need to run to moderators to remove a thread that I started for giving my DMOZ account to someone for their giving donation to amnesty. ;)
    Just the fact that you need to hide and be a shame of your involvement in DMOZ, say a lot about DMOZ state of corruption.

gworld, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry that sentence does not make sense unless one reads it as you giving any money you made to a very good cause, but you seem to know how the bribery works and sounds like that's because you were one of the rotten apples to me that we found and booted.

I am so ashamed of being an editor I write brief details of DMOZ into my signature, I tell anyone who is interested that I am an editor and you can be sure that the other editors on here know my editor name which is more than I can say for you.

19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

LOL. According to your logic, every policeman should be a crook because they know how crimes are committed. ;) Such stupid logic can only come from a DMOZ editor. I fought to clean DMOZ for a long time and as DMOZ declined it became less and less important to care about few dinosaurs that were still crawling to make a few bucks and that was the reason I put my account for sale here so it can help a worthy cause. There are some editors who know me because I trust them and I need to hide my editor ID because of the corrupt environment in DMOZ, what is your excuse for hiding? ;)

gworld, Mar 14, 2013 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Only corrupt editors need to hide from senior editors and EVERY senior editor and most junior editors know my editor name, I don't hide, now someone who is scared of senior editors knowing who they are and bleat on about corruption, must be speaking about themselves.

You ask those senior editors if I tow the line or if I am difficult and tear up many DMOZ usual practices in the way we style the project, but I do that in editor forums with other editors. And if I towed the DMOZ line on submissions, I would not keep saying that we should turn it off, which is not DMOZ policy hammered out in forum discussions as an example.

I first came on here when some silly editor was leaking stuff, probably you, from internal forums, and if I say things on internal forums, which editors agree will not be repeated outside , I do not expect to see chunks of what I say on Digital Point with my name attached, so I created an account that did not draw me into the discussion by using internal forum debates. And, despite being banned for several months for having more than one identity on DP, I have never created another account, never broke those DP rules and never felt the need to do so and when you publicly tell us your editor name, maybe I will too, you go first. I have nothing to hide, the hierarchy of DMOZ know clearly who I am and I am sure that the meta editors who post on here will soon jump in and tell you that I am telling lies, if I am so doing.