1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to learn copywriting

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by nizam_23, Feb 27, 2013.

hi
    anyone please tell me what is copy writing exactly and how can i learn copy writing?

nizam_23, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Copywriting simply put is the ability (talent really) to drive your sales. Copywriters are usually English majors who have been trained through schooling and experience to drive sales through their writing. They will research your product and appeal to your client (market niche) in a way that will generate sales.
    One could almost call them writer salesmen/saleswomen......so basically they are writers who specialize in sales.
    As to how to become one you'd have to go school, or become an apprentice at a writing firm of some sort. I wrote this from a customers perspective, hopefully a copywriter will come on here and elaborate better than I can.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  3. nizam_23

nizam_23 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your reply

nizam_23, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  4. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think a copy writer is all about having an English degree. That type of degree wouldn't help so much since many English degrees are fiction writing focused. A marketing degree would be a better choice. There are tons of great books that provide how to copy write.

It's not easy nor does it take a few minutes to master. I've been writing for 10 years and still haven't mastered copywriting completely. But I think if I wrote copy more I'd be better at it.

Anyways... here are some books you can check out to teach you. Reading and practicing is the key to that field. Best of luck.

The Copywriter's Handbook
    The Everything Guide To Writing Copy
    The Copywriter's Cheat Sheet

sweetcrabhoney18, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  5. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Spoiltdiva. Copywriting is a talent. Some writers make real good copies. I don't think having an English major has anything to do with being a good one, or having a marketing degree, but having knowledge in both does help in copywriting.

sweetcrabhoney18 shared some good resources. You can also check out CopyBlogger.com for lessons and information.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!

affilorama, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  6. nizam_23

nizam_23 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for helping

nizam_23, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  7. bri777

bri777 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think we can easily learn it by reading lots of sales pages. ;) I'm starting to have my own style too. I'm actually preparing one for my first ever product. I suggest you read the successful sales pages you see.

Be careful not to buy everything though, many of those are very persuasive. haha

bri777, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  8. Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman

Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman Member

Best Answers:
    copy writing is basically write the data of any one with your label so please do not copy write because it is illegal and destruction of the others!

9. bri777

bri777 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Mohammad, I think you're talking about "copyright" instead of copywriting. Those two are different things. Just to clarify :)

bri777, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  10. lowprod

lowprod Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still, you need to have something from writing. Words need come come naturally. Try writing as much as you can, on a personal blog for instance, and ask for opinions. If you get a lot of positive feedback, it means that you're good at writing and you should start focusing on copywriting.

lowprod, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  11. Andy01

Andy01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Copywriting can be referred as writing advertising for the purpose of selling or marketing a product, business or idea.Copywriters are the ones who writes for the text on brochures, websites, emails, advertisements, catalogs, and more. Copywriting is all about getting visitors to take action. Actions might be to purchase or engage users with a product, service, or company.

Andy01, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  12. TrySparta

TrySparta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How to learn copywriting? Practice and lots of it. Maybe you can start a blog and write about different things?

TrySparta, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  13. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    Writers' magazines, at least the ones I see here in England carry advertisements from people who teach copywriting. If you're going to learn from someone, you need to learn from someone who's worked in an ad agency, or someone who has made his or her living from copywriting. Online copywriters won't necessarily have worked in ad agencies for example. Study the work of the copywriting 'greats': John Caples, Claude Hopkins, Gary Halbert, David Ogilvy. There's enough there to get you started... Good luck.

axxil, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  14. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Studying successful ads is one way to learn copywriting. What I did was get a mentor...I paid an experienced person $100 a month for consultation and coaching. Also, I read books and bought a few courses...cheap ones, and that was all I needed. I started with articles and then on Fiverr, and things just sort of evolved for me.

Rocky
    www.colewriting.com

Lynn C, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  15. Rehza1

Rehza1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Everyone

Hello Nizam,
    i just want to answer to question.
    Good copy-writing is in some ways a natural skill that can be learned. Even if you are not clever with words this does not matter as our Free Copywriting Starters Report will give you everything you need.
    It's essential to understand...
    The audience
    Really understand who you're writing for - what makes them tick. Don't just guess. Go further.
    Imagine you are standing in their shoes and look out at the world. What stops them sleeping at night? What makes them trust someone? What do they want out of life? Or from a product or service like yours?
    The deeper you can connect like this, the better the writer you'll be.
    OK that's i say any if you have any question, you can go visit my website to understand more about Copywriting.
    Click on link below:
    Free Copywriting Starters Report

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Rehza1, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  16. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Rehza1 is 100% right that copywriting is a skill that can be learned. Yes, a facility with language helps, but copywriting is about telling a story and connecting with the audience. Even if your writing skills are not the best, you can learn to write copy. Heck, you might even be able to turn your lack of skill into an advantage. Coming across as sincere and telling someone how you can solve their problem is key.

If people connect with you, that is what matters.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  17. sortanew

sortanew Member

Best Answers:
    GREAT RESPONSE!!!

sortanew, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  18. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I echo what Axxil said just above. I just finished reading "The Boron Letters" by Gary Halbert and it is inspiring. Gary recommended (from prison) to his son Bond, that he read great copy and then write the best advertisements out by hand. This hand-writing of great ads and copy helps get the rythm of great copy into your bones.

He also said to always read what you are writing aloud. The copy has to be smooth and flow. Great ideas!
    Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 18, 2013 IP