1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some Myths about SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MaxSerp, Mar 7, 2013.

So we all know that SEO works but sometimes these so called SEO "gurus" like to overhype some things and make it sound more than what you would consider normal. Here are some myths that I found when I was browsing through my own personal case studies among other things and wanted to share it with the community at DigitalPoint.

1. PageRank or PR means a lot. Well in a sense it did but now in this new era of search engines it means little compared to some of the other things that may affect SEO. You need to concentrate your work on other parts of SEO such as making your content and headings related and getting quality links to your site.

2. The more links that you have to your site does not mean that you will get a higher PR. Pr increases exponentially which means that it might be easy to get the first few PR's but then as you get to Pr 3 and Pr 4, it takes a lot of effort in order to reach these new heights.

3. Blog comments are no use anymore or they should only be used as tier two links. This one makes me chuckle a little bit simply because of how misleading it is. Yes blog comments use to be the best way to spam links and since that time search engines have really put a stop to it. However this does not mean that you should stop looking to build these type of links. Look at the blog that you are about to comment on, look for the amount of spam that they have(if any) and using this information you can choose to post comments on good blogs vs. bad ones. In the end, just make sure that the blog you are commenting on are not spammed by hundreds of comments already.

4. Giving outbound links are NOT bad for your website. In fact it is so common for sites to give out outbound links. A place that I love to check is Yahoo and their articles. They have so many random linking pages that are also related. This creates a diversity in your content and is considered a good thing.

Well these are the ones that I have for today. If I missed anything important please reply to this thread and add it below.

Thanks!

MaxSerp, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  2. marketingwithjack

marketingwithjack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm going to disagree about the outbound links. My SEO strategy improved tremendously when I reduced the amount of outbound links on my site recently.

marketingwithjack, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  3. Ellys Kho

Ellys Kho Guest

Best Answers:
    i never heard matter like this. if you not target="_blank" the outbound link. maybe you will losing visitor or what ever. but if you make outbound link to open new tab , it's okey. but do not too much external link.

Ellys Kho, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  4. MaxSerp

MaxSerp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that however if you look at the overall articles that rank at the top of search engines then tend to link to some high quality site. These are like wikipedia, their own site, and others. Too much outbound link is not good either and unfortunately right now there are only a few people who knows how much outbound links is the best.

Thanks!

MaxSerp, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  5. saqiseo

saqiseo Banned

Best Answers:
    Linking to a quality site like Wikipedia or something else would not hurt your site. Even if a 400 words article has 2 or 3 such outbound links, I don't think it's gonna cause any problem to the site.

saqiseo, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  6. Serp Creation

Serp Creation Member

Best Answers:
    I would say all things are working perfectly even directory submission, social bookmarking or blog comments, you have to know how to do it with quality.

Serp Creation, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  7. Arasp

Arasp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not all things work perfectly in SEO. Recently I noticed when I closed some part of my URLs to Google, I had better Ranking on search engine ranking.

Arasp, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  8. marketingwithjack

Best Answers:
    I think outbound links don't hurt once your site is established. Mine is still new. Once I took out the links, I saw improvements in ranking.

marketingwithjack, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  9. prakashdhaila

prakashdhaila Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not agree . Outbound links are harmful for your website health. I personally experienced it several times that a website PR and Ranking performance increased after removing the outbound links.

prakashdhaila, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  10. Romanz

Romanz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is there maybe explanation of when bad and when good, or is it just general disagreement?

Romanz, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  11. marketingwithjack

Best Answers:
    I honestly don't know the explanation. I only see the results on my site. Taking away links helped me. Now, 90% of the links on my site are internal. I see improvements in the rankings by doing that.

marketingwithjack, Mar 10, 2013 IP