1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Author Influenced You The Most?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Feb 23, 2013.

For me it was the Greek author Homer. When I read his "Iliad" and his "Odyssey" as a small child it deeply affected me as to how I would write in the future.
    Homer was the ultimate story teller. He wrote as if fantasy and superstition were a reality. Everything was written as if a fact even if invented, and he accented heroism. His writing left no room for debate as to wether any of it was real or not. To Homer it simply was not important, facts were embellished for the love of story telling.
    Yes there was a nucleus of truth in his writing, but facts came second to the story.

Most of the writing I have done pertains to the world of advertising. Homer's style of fanciful writing fits quite well into this world. (embellishment)

I suppose a technical writer would more than likely profess an aversion to Homer.;)

So what about you, is there an author who you feel has influenced your writing style?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I was a small child, I absolutely loved my Dr. Seuss books. (I love his work to this day. ) I treasured those books more than my stuffed animals. It was those books that got me interested in reading. When I was what like 10 or so, I began to read all the Judy Bloom books. As a teenager, I read mostly Stephen King. (Don't know why because I'm not a fan of horror movies.) Then I moved on to James Patterson, Sue Crafton, Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham,... I just simply loved to read as a kid and have always loved it.

I can't really say that one particular book or poem, one author, influenced me the way Homer did for you. I just liked to read from when I was young, my parents encouraging me to read, combined with good English teachers through my years of schooling.

TextServices, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  3. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me a good author is one who keeps you hooked, so you cant put the book down until you have read every word. Stephen King does this for me, along with James Herbert (English author). Horror is my favourite genre, but I like to read thrillers by a couple of female English writers. I must confess to reading the '50 shades of grey' books which started as just seeing what the hype was all about but they were actually pretty good. :)

Emma Pollard, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  4. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    For me one of the strongest influences has been Tolstoy. As a writer and as a man! A powerful writer and so honest.

axxil, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I hear you but....his books are so long and take so much time to read!

Spoiltdiva, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  6. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    I hear you as well. One of his longer ones, Anna Karenina I just never liked one bit and never got any distance with. War and Peace, though - different story no pun intended. I did the honors on this one 3 times over, and each time I wanted it to go on much further. Different strokes for different folks I guess, as the saying goes...

axxil, Mar 8, 2013 IP