1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 Basic Tip to help you become a better copywriter

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mindreader90, Mar 7, 2013.

Copywriting is an art and a science, both at the same time. You need to be creative and you need to write with facts supporting your arguments. That said, it is a skill which can be learnt by anyone. But how does one become good at it? That's almost the same as saying that anyone can cook, but can everyone cook a 5 course meal that will leave you begging for more?

Here's one basic tip to become a better copywriter: Read.

Read as much as you can. Read all kinds of advertisements - short ads, long form ads, sales letters, headlines in newspapers and magazines, blogs, books. The more you read, the better your skill will become.

Here's a list of 15 copywriting blogs that you can start with rightaway. They are not all copywriting blogs - some are general online marketing blogs as well.

Let me know if this was of some help!

mindreader90, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ....."a skill which can be learnt by anyone". I'm going to try and remain civil but you are pushing your luck here. No! not anyone.......you have to be quite intelligent ...is everyone?
    You have to have an excellent grasp of grammar and knowledge, does everyone? You also need a good work ethic, does everyone?
    I could go on but I wouldn't attempt to explain the basics of quantum physics to my neighbors cat.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  3. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might not attempt to explain the basics of quantum physics to your neighbors cat, but it does help to have a cat and an empty box when explaining quantum physics...!

Deceth, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Albert Einstein could not have articulated it any better.;)

5. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Albert Einstein could have articulated it better and worse at the same time.

Deceth, Mar 7, 2013 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Hmmm,he wrote "The Theory of Relativity" but never learnt how to tie a knot and sometimes wet his pants........you could be right.:(

7. Deceth

Deceth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That would be a first.

Deceth, Mar 7, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My grandmother loved to read. She always had a book or two with her. She subscribed to several newspapers and magazines. She wrote wonderful letters but her grammar was atrocious. She used periods sparingly. Semicolons were nonexistent and commas were also scarce. Oddly enough, she could spell like a spelling bee champion. I loved her letters, they were charming and chatty. She read all the time but she never could have become a professional writer, much less a copywriter.

Sure, reading will help most writers. However, being able to write is only a small part of what it takes to be a copywriter.

If you're limiting it to one, there's only one possible thing you could recommend for someone to become a better copywriter...know your audience. You could read an entire library full of books but if you don't know how to evaluate a product or service, determine who uses it and why they would want to buy it, you'll never be a copywriter.

YMC, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  9. alphaomegalady

alphaomegalady Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone can be a writer as long as they willing to learn, fail, learn again, fail again, learn and learn.
    I have seen some kind of pride copy writers/writers that think they're gifted. And I agree that it's take more than like to read.

alphaomegalady, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  10. OnMyWay

OnMyWay Peon

Best Answers:

Where? You know, when you copy/paste, you should include the links as well...

OnMyWay, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  11. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. A good copywriter knows how to reach out to his target market and convince the product he's offering is the best in the market. Thar requires talented writing and knowledge.

Have a good day!

affilorama, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  12. mindreader90

mindreader90 Active Member

Best Answers:

Yes, much like any other skill, it CAN be learnt by anyone. Being good at it is another matter. Every human DOES have a basic level of intelligence and if anyone is reading this, I am assuming they have that basic level. It is quite obvious that writing is a skill which requires an excellent grasp of grammar - much like cooking requires a knowledge of ingredients. Why am I even bothering to reply to such trivial things?

mindreader90, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  13. mindreader90

Best Answers:

Did she try becoming a copywriter or did she just read for pleasure?

14. mindreader90

Best Answers:
    The link: http://www.modifyed.in/15-copywriting-blogs-that-every-online-marketer-needs-to-follow

Something's wrong with the forum when it comes to posting links.

15. saheemnet

saheemnet Active Member

Best Answers:
    For my opinion to become a good writer, All you should have to is You have to read more and more. Do search from google and what people are talking about. For me, If I am interesting in Create a Website. I have to search several website about how to create a website then I have to make my own article about it and what is the best way to create a website. This is could better copywriter!!! I guess :)

saheemnet, Mar 8, 2013 IP
  16. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    I learned copywriting at the feet of a pro: a guy who at the time had been in the game 40 years. Pat Quinn by name. I pass on a most valuable tip that I've seen others (one top marketer for a start) praise highly. When you're writing a piece about some select widget for instance, imagine you're writing for some friend or acquaintance of yours who'd be in the market for said widget.

axxil, Mar 8, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. mindreader90

Best Answers:
    That is very sage advice. Creating a marketing persona really helps in writing better. You can picture in your head how real people are going to use your product or service and write accordingly. It's so much more better than writing for a faceless mass of internet users!

mindreader90, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  18. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    I have now one fantastic resource for you. I shall be using this method myself daily. It's give here: http://copyhour.com/secret . Writing over in long hand some top copy every day. As you get further along in the game (if you continue in copywriting), and maybe even if you don't, you'll likely come upon this truth again (and again?). One gets deep into the sensibility of the greats this way. A very wise person said, 'all great truths are simple.' Good luck but you won't need it!

axxil, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  19. suidmach

suidmach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good copywriter must be willing to learn. I learn daily, if not hourly. There is always something to learn. I can say that my grammar is not the best, but it takes me from point A to point B. As long as your message is conveyed, then what you have wrote has done the job. Make learning part of your day as a copywriter.

suidmach, Mar 22, 2013 IP