1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Directory Submission Still Effective After Google's Recent Updates?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by John325, Feb 14, 2013.

After Google's recent updates like panda and penguin, most of the seo experts have written in their blog that directory submission is now lost its value. Is it true? I need help regarding this matter.

John325, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  2. varindia

varindia Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. If you want to make backlinks from the relevant sites, you need to do do directory submission also. Increasing the backlinks with appropriate anchors and with domain age will give you PR and keyword ranking which ultimately drives traffic to your site.

varindia, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  3. Technoduce

Technoduce Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Directory submissions still have their own value and did not loose their importance after google's recent updates. Still one can get quality backlinks from the directory submissions if the website is being submitted in high PR web directories

Technoduce, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  4. maddyesign

maddyesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think directories submission Best Option Increase your websites Ranking

maddyesign, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  5. barbiecan29

barbiecan29 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes of course directory submission very easily method to get do follow links but i recommend you avoid zero page rank directory submission site, you submit site only good page rank site, I hope take a good benefits.

barbiecan29, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  6. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    John325 - SEO experts claim the method is gone because they used it incorrectly. They treated directories all in one bunch as an easy to get link-farm link. That's why they write against them, because they achieved bad results, through their poor methods.

You need to be selective about which directories you choose to list in, this takes research. Even SEOMoz has their own secret list of special directories that they believe will help your site (quite frankly I think they just plug the domains into their OSE tool and whichever ones come out the highest they put on the list --- I'd avoid doing that, it's a poor tactic as authority of domains can be easily faked or manipulated)

Be skeptical of anything you read particularly if someone says oh thats dead.

Lots of people talk about SEO being dead. Ever since it started they have. They have an agenda though. Keep your eyes open :)

silencer, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  7. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    4 years later - same questions raised.
    I don't think it is effective.

Montreal Classifieds, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wish we could somehow have a robot to auto-reply to threads around here with a response like this. Well said Dan :)

mikey1090, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  9. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what type of directory you are submitting to. Low quality directories can hurt your website but most have few if any cached pages and Google will never see your submission, either way they are at best a waste of time.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    stoner3221, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  10. mindreader90

mindreader90 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience, directory submissions are still pretty effective in maintaining your search engine rankings..I have lots of clients who regularly purchase links because they can see the results. You just have to be really selective about which directories you submit to. Don't buy thousands of links. Go slow. Buy like 20-30 a day. And choose high PR, old directories.

I hope this helps!

mindreader90, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  11. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    You will have a hard time finding even 20 to 30 high PR old directories let alone 20 to 30 daily.

stoner3221, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  12. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said!
    PR is not the only determining factor in deciding the quality of a directory. As Dan puts it - even SEOMOZ's OSE tool can be exploited/manipulated - so that also not a reliable tool to determine the quality of a directory.

Top most is editorial competency of the directory owner which should be counted at the first place.
    But if someone is to look for PR, one should always use www.domaincrawler.com that provides a historical graph of a site's PR. But again PR is always manipulated - and hence one should look for the graph carefully wheather it is straight high PR or acquired over a long time period.

Last but not the least one must check the URL with http://archive.org -- if it has always been a directory or was something else before.

Serious directory owners never use a domain which was something else before.

One can also check the directory with SEOMOZ's OSE ( Yes - it is quite reliable to check link profile if nothing else!) There are some PR6/7 directories on the web which have only 10-15 sites (root domain) linking to them and you always want to stay away from them as they sre just selling PR and not editorial listings.:eek:

jhnrang, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I've found that the self proclaimed experts more often than not, or nothing of the sort.

Trial and Error does not make one an expert. It makes one an experimenter.

Mia, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  14. mindreader90

mindreader90 Active Member

Best Answers:

Really? Try using this website: http://www.directoryroll.com - You will definitely find 20-30 high PR Old directories.

mindreader90, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  15. bluemouse2

bluemouse2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i can tell you that paid submissions are lower now than before

bluemouse2, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  16. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:

paid submission may be lower because of rumour spread by some so-called seo experts but I am optimistic and already I am preparing to launch some new niche directory

pradip200, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  17. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    LOL, Not Hardly

stoner3221, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  18. Osagie Irowa

Osagie Irowa Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe directory submissions still hold a lot of value in regards to attracting new website visitors. However, by directories, I'm talking about reputable ones that would list company addresses, phone numbers and website links. Examples here in Canada would be 411.ca, Yellow Pages, Canada411.ca, instead of those that have 1000s of links to website offering no value to visitors.

Osagie Irowa, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Really, and how did you come to that determination? Just curious, because I have not seen an overwhelming reduction in submissions. If anything is about the same as it has been. Are you referring to your own directory or the industry in general?

Mia, Mar 7, 2013 IP
  20. davehermansen

davehermansen Active Member

Best Answers:
    An article on the Cognitive SEO Blog that we have slated as one of this week's top five SEO articles will appear on the Store Coach Blog's weekly SEO Highlight Reel tomorrow. It specifically addresses this question and shows you the steps you should be taking before trying to get a link from any directory. If you want to see the article before we reveal it on our blog tomorrow with the four other "Best of the Weeks," you can view it at http://cognitiveseo.com/blog/2436/how-to-find-evaluate-directory-links/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    davehermansen, Mar 7, 2013 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.