1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content is King!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by woja, Mar 5, 2013.

I know I'm not making any groundbreaking news or anything like that, but I have a couple of interesting graphs that I thought I'd share with you guys nonetheless since they're kinda proving this point.

I've been putting heavy focus on one of my websites lately.
    So, there's one keyword that I decided to focus. Not crazily competitive mind you, but still has some big names on the first few pages. I have that keyword once on my homepage.
    So, did the usual offline SEOing BS..... not too much happened. Then I decided it's time to start ranking [​IMG]
    I made a hand written (did it myself mind you) 1,800 word review article on the keyword (it's am internet product), including a bunchload of screenshots and pictures. I did that on Feb 28. Guess what. Result!
    [​IMG]

Same thing happened with another keyword of mine:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line. You can SEO all you like. If you don't have GOOD, unique content, you won't get too far.
    Just thought I'd give back a little since I'm getting so much from this community as it is :)

woja, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  2. Internal09

Internal09 Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent rankings sir, that is a massive increase in ranks. I guess content is king today and they are able to find quality content now. Also may I ask, is your website dedicated to that 1 internet product or is it a multi purpose site? Also what software are you using to check your stats and get these graphs?

Internal09, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  3. lukeit

lukeit Active Member

Best Answers:
    20 is like 100 if the key has 1000-100.000 mo research.

lukeit, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  4. The SEO Man

The SEO Man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree good content makes a huge difference. Some people do not put much thought into content, but spending a little bit of time to get it right, but it could make a huge difference.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    The SEO Man, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  5. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That really depends on the keyword your ranking for. If your getting top rankings with 0 backlinks, then that means the keyword isnt competitive at all. Be careful, because it is guaranteed to lose rankings when its compared to those with links.

Google doesn't sit around and manually review content to see if it's quality or not lol. The majority of SEO emphasis is applied on the frequency people is talking about it "AKA Backlinks".

If you don't believe me that Google could care less about quality content. I'll prove it to you right now. Go to the google right now, and type on the keyword..... bleach episode guide ..... ranking in #3, you'll find this website bleachepisodeguide.net ....

Now tell me what you see lol, it's a picture of taylor swift haha.. This website was made to disprove the false assumptions of quality content.

coloma21, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

That is not a compelling example. The test would be more meaningful if the phrase bleach episode guide were not in that website's domain name.

Jim4767, Mar 5, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
  7. Andrew Futcher

Andrew Futcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry man, but there is highly relevant content on that page. You are just not seeing it (probably because wordpress users are so used to seeing those words):

The words Posts, Categories, Archives, Sample and Recent just happen to be highly relevant for people searching for any kind of "episode guide". Don't believe me? Just Google bleach episode guide posts and your site is top spot #1. (proving the word "posts" written on your site actually means something - that must be because it is relevant, and it is content?)

Content Relevancy (keyword relevancy) is more important than content Quantity (volume - actually the more you say the harder it is to say on-topic - something I have been saying for a while now).

Andrew Futcher, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  8. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I guess i need to elaborate.... If you look into the website... There's No Content! hahah

You might of missed the website..... bleachepisodeguide.net

It's a pix of Taylor Swift... There's no text either... that's what im trying to say... The SEO is on point, but what people regard as "quality content", they think of a compelling article... etc...

Does that make sense? The SEO is there, but what most people think as quality content, they think the quality of the article itself. But you can still rank 0 word articles, just as long as you have the Relevant Indicators that Andrew pointed out.

coloma21, Mar 5, 2013 IP
    Andrew Futcher likes this.
  9. Andrew Futcher

Best Answers:
    You are right Coloma21, it does prove content relevancy is more important than what most people consider to be "quality content". Its true you don't need to write "articles" to get a modern website to rank well that is for sure...

:)

Andrew Futcher, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  10. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Looks like you haven't read my post correctly... I'm talking about the "quality" of the article, not relevancy. Most people think that you need some captivating/inspiring/quality article in order to rank in the search engines. Hence, look at what the OP did... He made an 1800 word article! lol... for what?! You can rank in search engines with a 0-word article... just as long as the SEO Indicators are present.

So yes, my example is in fact compelling. Because bloggers go at great lengths to overkill an article that doesn't need it... thinking that it will somehow affect rankings. But the quality of the article doesn't affect it, it's relevancy itself.

coloma21, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  11. Sanjeev SIngh

Sanjeev SIngh Member

Best Answers:
    Oh my god, the ranking is just awesome. And i agree with you that content is the king. I am also putting as more information to my blog as i can. Hop it will also help me.
    But which type of your blog is?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Sanjeev SIngh, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  12. Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman

Mohammad Asif Ali Zaman Member

Best Answers:
    yes!content of any site is king .............

13. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My goal is to offer high-quality content to the internet. I'm concerned with the benefit of my readers, not the favor of Google. I wouldn't waste my time trying to push a no-content or minimal-content site to Google's first page. I have more integrity than that, I hope.

Jim4767, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  14. ushahm

ushahm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i completely agree with you.content is always king.:)

ushahm, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  15. woja

woja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well... I'm trying to sell products through an affiliate program I have, so I have a number of different products in the same niche that I'm promoting.
    But, since I want people to buy the products, I invest a lot of time in thinking of the best way to engage them and convince them that the product is good. The key to that is having good content. For me it's an added bonus that Google likes it :D

woja, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  16. Andrew Futcher

Best Answers:
    Interesting point Jim, although that all depends on what you client is paying for...

If your client pays you to entertain their readership then yes, I agree then you can afford to ignore what Google considers relevant. (although I believe striking a perfect compromise is easily possible)

However; If high rankings are the priority, ignoring what Google considers relevant for your topic should not be underestimated, or all you are achieving is to stroke your own creativity and waxing lyrical at the the expense of your client.

Andrew Futcher, Mar 6, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  17. ultimat1

ultimat1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    coloma21 has a great point. The site he shows as an example is from Source-Wave, and there are other examples in the video about ranking factors that Google searches for and it ain't 1,800 word articles, lol. It's a mixture of things that Google sees relevant, like meta tags, image names, alt tags, urls and page titles, relevant multi-media and content as well. Here's the video... definitely worth a watch:

ultimat1, Mar 6, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  18. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You've totally missed the point of my post....

I agree, i write quality articles too because i enjoy writing...

But this thread/conversation is about ranking isn't it?

coloma21, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  19. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yup, i'm all over sourcewave... these guys are the real deal...

I have tons of #1 rankings because i follow their methods closely....

It's all about the facts, not the hype :)

coloma21, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  20. lesa mitchell

lesa mitchell Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, it is true that content is such a great factor, if you create quality content everything will just basically follow.

lesa mitchell, Mar 6, 2013 IP