1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Is A Waste Of Time! So Now What? ...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by coloma21, Feb 28, 2013.

[​IMG]
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share with you guys my perspective of SEO, and where I feel like it's going

I've been doing SEO about 2 years now, and I've had plenty of success because of it. It
    was definitely a challenge to learn, but the rewards are amazing $$.

So your probably wondering, why in the world would I say that SEO is a waste of time?!

Before you get all crazy on me, let me elaborate lol ......

Every year, Google is guaranteed to make big changes in the search engines. Both Panda & Penguin has destroyed many website rankings, and has even crushed careers.

What most people don't realize is that, even innocent corporations that were strictly "White-Hat" were annihilated in the search engines too! With that being said, it doesn't matter if you are following all the rules of the game, that doesn't provide you immunity to the next Google Update.

So if this is the reality, then where do we go from here?

Well, I think if you truly want to protect your business, your going to have to stop being so dependent on Google... meaning to say is that, the success of your business shouldn't rely heavily on how it ranks in the search engine.

If you want your business to thrive in today's time, you'll have to diversify your traffic sources with social media & paid traffic, and only consider Google as supplemental.

If you approach your business with this proper mindset, then you can stop worrying about the next update, because it won't affect the success of your company.

So.. the next question you are probably wondering... "why do I still do SEO then"?

Well... with all that being said.. I now only SEO websites that i consider disposable and temporary. The main purpose of these "temporary" sites is to rank really fast, make as much money as i can, and walk away with no hard feelings if the next update does in fact destroy it. So I only use SEO to make some short term returns now a days ...

On the other hand, any website that I have a deep long term connection with, I stopped doing SEO completely, and just focused mainly on alternative traffic sources.

The Best SEO is No SEO ... pretty ironic huh? lol

I hope I provided some insight, but I'm sure most of you have your own view :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    coloma21, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  2. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, but still, there is no harm in making sure your pages are optimized for their keywords. It seems social media sites are the way to go post-Panda. If you want to rank for your keywords, get backlinks and traffic, then make sure to promote your webpages on social media sites.

Thanks for sharing! Have a good weekend!

affilorama, Mar 1, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  3. Pooja Rawat

Pooja Rawat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No:eek: SEO Is A Waste Of Time if u think i waste of time..then your fool:(

Pooja Rawat, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  4. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yea, definitely ...

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with doing some SEO, because it does have its benefits. But I feel like as a long term strategy, it's not viable. It should only be used as supplemental benefits :)

That's my take at least.. It's all about diversification :)

coloma21, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  5. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Did you read my entire post? It's just all about balance, Just as long as 100% of your business doesn't rely on SEO, then you'll be safe in the future! That's just my opinion tho lol

coloma21, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  6. Prathvee

Prathvee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hey coloma21 i agree but you need to customize your words that only doing seo is waste of time because now a days for getting ranking and good presence on the web we need to do so many things it includes seo, smo, sem etc and i think we shoud keep in mind that basics never changed that means seo is still in presence and have value and for a good start you need it to do..

Prathvee, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  7. kingsweb

kingsweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, It is difficult to keep long term relationship with client. We have done lots of work but after some time, the new update occurs and we loose our work results. We can’t rely only on Google. We have to find alternate sources to be continue.

kingsweb, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  8. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Definitely true, It's always in the best interest to have multiple streams of traffic & income :)

coloma21, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  9. scholarsjunction

scholarsjunction Member

Best Answers:
    Doing SEO and concentrating on other resources who can drive traffic to my site is best. I agree with you that not to depend on search engine only. There are lots of website where you can publish your article and get targeted traffic from there. Being always updated on social networking sites are very helpful for a website and google also giving importance to social signals. At last I want to say that running both is perfect.

scholarsjunction, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  10. MIYABI

MIYABI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This is the ultra white hat SEO method!!!

MIYABI, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  11. Sameer M. Waseem

Sameer M. Waseem Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, how does one go about this? What would be the common measures? Common basics that dont change with any update?

I'm pretty sure, Google updates are mainly done to weed out spam and irrelevant content, and will have an impact score to elevate pages with most relevance and significance. Also note, most activity that leads to the same relevant and significant content.

Sameer M. Waseem, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  12. wendycostaless

wendycostaless Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Coloma21,
    Most o the times people think that SEO is a waste of time but for some it is the best thing one can do to make things work.Its just about each others perception and nothing else.

wendycostaless, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  13. Gianni Palazzo

Gianni Palazzo Member

Best Answers:

I agree with you 100%.

We should not rely on one method to take our business to the next level.

What we need to do is to have different poles in the water. What I am trying to say by that is:

We cannot depend on one strategy and hope that, only that strategy is going work forever.

We need to take advantage of other sources, that hep us to grow our businesses.

All the best.

Gianni Palazzo, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  14. jgsketch

jgsketch Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what you consider SEO. Traditional SEO is a waste. But when you account for all the things you need to do now in order to rank, the old meaning of SEO is gone. I call it online marketing.

I actually get more traffic from social media sites now than I do ranked high in Google. Which is Ironic considering I do alot in Social media to get better rankings in order to get more traffic.

jgsketch, Mar 1, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  15. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its not a good way, not a bad way, it's all about balance, remember that anything in the wolrd isn't meant to be extreme, its always somewhere in the middle. traffic from google for a business is defenitly a bonus when you build a new business, you should consider splitting the traffic, i agree on that one.

however, seo is just a tool to rank, if you have a good website, users will share it, and traffic will come, remember i said balance? now, if you have people linking to you, seo is a great player here to analyze and optimize. surely when all your backlinks are done with seo and you expect something to happen only bad things usually happen. sure even the good sites get banned or something but if you have multiple sources of traffic this shouldn't destroy you.

wounded1987, Mar 1, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  16. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's exactly how i feel.. It's all about balance & diversification... my perspective for SEO has evolved over the years, and I feel this is the best way to protect your business :)

coloma21, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  17. jamesbrands

jamesbrands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. Makes me laugh when I read responses about black hat SEO techniques in forums. I know you weren't specifically talking about this, but my feelings are the same as you mentioned in your post.

All to often I hear, never do this or never do that, you will get penalized. My response is "so what?"

Whats wrong with building simple sites, getting them ranked super fast, and making as much money as you possibly can in a short time frame? Some of them may get hit, others may stick but all the time you are gaining valuable information. The ones that get hit were good when they lasted and you move on.

I totally agree that you need diversity in your business, and I would never dream of relying solely on google for my traffic on a site I had put my heart and soul into.

The message here is never rely solely on search engine traffic, diversify the ways you make money online and exploit every SEO technique, trick you can learn while it still works, and make as much money as you can!

jamesbrands, Mar 2, 2013 IP
    coloma21 likes this.
  18. coloma21

coloma21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well said man, exactly what i was trying to get across :)

coloma21, Mar 2, 2013 IP
  19. Serp Creation

Serp Creation Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is you don't have to overdo, if you do so, you are not going to get benefit in long time..

You should also learn from big sites like ehow, about.com, how they have managed to earn money from SEO.

Serp Creation, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  20. wwwoliondorcom

wwwoliondorcom Member

Best Answers:
    Learn how to write for your websites, as content is a lot more important than any Seo shxt.

wwwoliondorcom, Mar 3, 2013 IP