1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sole Proprietor Name Question

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Billy788, Feb 24, 2013.

Hello,
    Looking to file a dba as sole proprietor for marketing on the internet...and have couple questions.

1. Can I use the word "group" in my name even thou it's just me? i.e. JB Media Group

2. Can I create/market various websites/domains for different biz models i.e. web design, evergreen niche affiliate products, & etc without having to file separate DBA for each domain as long as payments are made to JB Media Group?

Thanks,
    Billy

Billy788, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  2. GORF

GORF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Yes - It is only a name
    2. Yes - This keeps it simple. You can get a commercial bank account for JB Media Group. I have had trouble with banks not accepting checks made out to a DBA name.

(I am a member of various LLCs and operate under multiple DBAs)

GORF, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  3. MockOutrage

MockOutrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Not that you asked, but do you have a reason for using a sole proprietorship? While dirt simple to set up, they offer no legal protections whatsoever. Everything you own/make is fair game, since it's "just you."

In many states, LLCs are pretty easy to set up, and offer strong asset protection, provided they are set up and run correctly.

Just food for thought.

-MockOutrage

MockOutrage, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  4. GORF

GORF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good, strong advice.

The OP may be short on cash.Starting out, $5 to register a DBA at a Town Hall will at least get you the papers to open a commercial bank account under that name. The LLC can be from $200 to $500 to set up.

GORF, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  5. Billy788

Billy788 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree too a LLC would be better ideally... but unfortunately no can do at this time... hopefully in the near future.

Anyone know what going rate is for a LLC in NY?

Billy

Billy788, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  6. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, forming a NY LLC is both more expensive and more work than in many other states. The state fee is $200 but you must also publish a legal notice in two newspapers, once each week, for six consecutive weeks and then file a certificate of publication and pay another fee. That all adds up to a fair amount of money. For more details, all the requirements are summarized here: http://www.limitedliabilitycompanycenter.com/newyork.html

Business Attorney, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  7. Miss Ziggy

Miss Ziggy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes to both of your questions. I have been helping new businesses do their dbas for 9 years now. If I started to develop assets worth significant money I would change the sole prop into corporation (LLC) in order to protect myself from company law suits. You can do as many dbas under the LLC (as the registrant) as you like. However, if you are not making much money and you have no assets, the LLC will just be an expense (you have to pay a yearly tax, in california we pay $800/year even if you don't make money).

I am not an attorney but I did go to law school and I do work with people and their dbas and corporations. However this isn't legal advice.

Good Luck!

Miss Ziggy, Mar 10, 2013 IP