1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal Negative Balance

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Dan Lee, Feb 25, 2013.

Hi there, I'm 15 and have a eBay account and also a Paypal account so i can sell things on eBay and make a little bit of money. Anyway heres the story, i recently sold my macbook pro retina on eBay as i no longer wanted it and i also needed a bit of money at the time. The auction went smoothly and there was a winning bidder. a few hours later i received the payment to my Paypal account and a email from the buyer telling me his address and name, the shipping address was in Vietnam so as i had received payment i shipped it out the next day and withdrew the money out of my Paypal account through a family members bank account (as Paypal for some reason wont accept my bank account) and have used the money for what i needed it for. Anyway a few days ago i got a email from Paypal saying that the transaction had been reported as unauthorised and that my account was on hold pending a investigation. i have given Paypal all the information i have including proof of postage and a reference to the email the buyer sent me with the address and all of that. apparently Paypal are still reviewing the case so i gave them a call last night and spoke to a very unhelpful man who told me that i will most likely have to refund the money because i sent the package to a "unverified" address and that i will probably not be covered by there "seller protection act". The thing is I'm now in a negative balance and cant afford to refund the money, whats worse is that my family members bank account is linked to my Paypal and they will most likely kill me if that amount of money goes out of there bank account. What can i do?? i have read that if you write to Paypal and tell them your 15 (provide proof) and under the correct legal age to be in debt that they will have no choice but to ban you from Paypal and i will not have to pay a penny. is that true?? is there a even easier way out of this?? if Paypal decide against me then i will be out of pocket for a very expensive piece of equipment. What will Paypal do, will they take the money out of my family members account without permission?? any help possible on this would be extremely helpful and i will be forever grateful. Thanks

Dan Lee, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  2. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Did you try to contact buyer?

karthimx, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

For what purpose? You think the guy who scammed him is going to be of some help?

He fucked up when he sent an expensive computer to an un-verified address. There is not much he can do to solve this problem.

browntwn, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  4. karthimx

Best Answers:
    Contacting buyer via ebay message might help to solve the problem.

5. diamondmike

diamondmike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Yes they will in fact take the money from the linked bank account. My advice is to quickly contact your bank and tell your Bank PayPal is not authorized to do this. Or you would simply close the account and open a new one at your Bank so PayPal cannot do it. Remember when using PayPal to always use a shipping service that includes a tracking number.

Take care,
    DM

diamondmike, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  6. Dan Lee

Dan Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there, I have emailed the guy who's PayPal account was used to try and sort this out, I am just waiting for a reply from him now but thanks anyway.

Also thanks to anyone else who has tried to give me some support so far in this thread, it's really appreciated.

Dan Lee, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  7. karthimx

Best Answers:
    Did you contacted your shipping/courier company for receipt of delivery or tracking details of the item.

8. Dan Lee

Dan Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i contacted the royal mail, they just told me that the item had already been delivered and there was nothing they could do to get it back or stop the shipment.

i am still waiting for a reply from the guy whos paypal account was used though :/

Dan Lee, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I am curious what positive outcome you think could come from speaking with him? Are you hoping he will volunteer to take the loss?

browntwn, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  10. kulik

kulik Member

Best Answers:
    Being only 15 I would say walk away from the account and move on. Minors can have credit/credit reports, but only in certain cases and this one will probably never show up. Additionally, have your family member call their bank and tell them ahead of time to block or forbid PayPal transactions to that account.

Speaking to the guy is useless. it's obvious he planned to scam, you'll never hear from him. Scammers know how easy it is to get free things when using PayPal. Learn from it, that you should only ship to certain countries and only verified addresses and accounts.

kulik, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  11. karthimx

Best Answers:
    why can't you show that receipt to paypal.

karthimx, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  12. Pitu

Pitu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Open your paypal account.
    Click the transaction details.
    U will see ( right Side upper ) the address of the buyer .
    If this address matches to your shipping address and u have delivery proof then u have seller protection and u will win the case.
    But if address mismatch then u r not in seller protection and u will loose the case .

Anyway,Until case resolved in your favour or u paid the negative balance u cant remove the bank account from your paypal account .

Pitu, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  13. kulik

kulik Member

Best Answers:
    I read and responded to your thread before, but not sure how the whole "I'm underage" thing goes though. My advice was to just let it go, later on create a new account and start fresh learning from the eBay thief. PayPal won't be able to force a collection on the account if you're underage I'm assuming. Additionally as I mentioned before, just make sure you have your family member contact the bank to prevent PayPal from any unauthorized transactions to that account.

kulik, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  14. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are underaged, (and therefore you have committed fraud by signing up with paypal in the first place) then get your parents or legal gaurdian to handle it -> this is a serious legal issue that should be dealt with by adults, and not by a child.

Just how exactly you are in negative is beyond me as I had to connect my paypal to both a credit card and to a bank account to send and withdraw. The fact that your ebaying an item(when ebay is clearly over 18!) that sold for 1500 in the first place sounds like a well planned scam. (If I sold all of my kids toys it wouldnt come close to 1500 GBP)

But yes, you are right. Several people from the UK have successfully committed ebay and paypal fraud, and have managed to get away scott free as they were underaged and I am certain that you will too. Just talk to your parents. I believe the first step for them is to contact paypal and tell them your under 18, and they will tell your parents on how to resolve the issue.

matt_62, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  15. Dan Lee

Dan Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    Great! Thanks for your advise, will the bank deffenately be able to stop PayPal taking money out of that account??

Dan Lee, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  16. ugod

ugod Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You must call Paypal and explain everything in detail mostly they will understand since the buyer mailed you about sending it to un-verified account for which you can send them screenshot proof and delivery courier receipt. Just send them over all proofs you have this would help you in getting the case in your favour.

ugod, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  17. Dan Lee

Dan Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, i have spoken to Paypal (i sent them a email and then gave them a call) and explained pretty much everything. there telling me that i will most likely still have to pay that negative balance even though i'm under the legal age that they can take money from me. i am getting my family member to go into the bank tomorrow and ask them to stop all of Paypal's transactions.

Does anybody know if the bank will successfully be able to stop Paypal taking money out of that account??

Dan Lee, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  18. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As you're under 18, you cannot enter in to a contract without your parents permission. I would strongly suggest you get your parents involved in the matter - get them to phone PayPal and write a letter with detailed information regarding your PayPal account.

peter_anderson, Mar 4, 2013 IP